Solving a wave equation with seperation of variables.

This gives a different initial condition for ##v(x,0)## than the one you started with.In summary, the problem involves solving a wave equation using separation of variables for a given boundary and initial conditions. The equation can be simplified by making a substitution and solving the homogeneous case before using the substitution to find the solution for the original equation.
Particle Head

Homework Statement

I am trying to solve the given wave equation using separation of variables,

[itex] u_{tt} - 4u_{xx} = 4 [/itex] for [itex]0 < x < 2[/itex] and [itex]t > 0[/itex]
(BC) [itex] u(0,t) = 0[/itex] , [itex]u(2,t) = -2[/itex], for [itex]t>0 [/itex]
(IC) [itex] u(x,0)=x-x^2[/itex] , [itex] u_t(x,0)=0 [/itex] for [itex] 0\leq x \leq2 [/itex]

Homework Equations

We are told we will need to use,

[tex] x = \frac{2L}{\pi} \sum_{n\geq1}^{} \frac{(-1)^{n+1}}{n} \sin{\frac{n\pi x}{L}} [/tex]
[tex] x^2 = \frac{2L^2}{\pi} \sum_{n\geq1}^{} [\frac{(-1)^{n+1}}{n} + \frac{2}{n^3 \pi^2} ((-1)^n -1)] \sin{\frac{n\pi x}{L}} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I first assumed a solution of the form,

[tex] u(x,t) = X(x)T(t) [/tex]

Plugging this back into the PDE this suggests that,

[tex] XT''-4X''T=4 [/tex]

With the homogeneous case we got a relation where in general [itex] \frac{T''}{c^2T} = \frac{X''}{X} = -\lambda [/itex] and this is where I am unsure because I cannot seem to separate [itex] XT''-4X''T=4 [/itex] in order to get a constant ratio between T and X.

I have a feeling I am supposed to solve the homogeneous case first however when progressing through that I ended up finding that [itex] \lambda = 0 [/itex] satisfied my boundary conditions. This is because in the homogeneous case we want to solve [itex] X''+\lambda X = 0 [/itex] and in the case where [itex] \lambda = 0 [/itex] we have [itex] X = Ax+B [/itex] and imposing the boundary conditions this seemed to imply [itex] X=-x [/itex]

Just not sure how to go from here ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you find any other [itex]\lambda[/itex] which satisfy the B.C.s?

Particle Head said:

Homework Statement

I am trying to solve the given wave equation using separation of variables,

[itex] u_{tt} - 4u_{xx} = 4 [/itex] for [itex]0 < x < 2[/itex] and [itex]t > 0[/itex]
(BC) [itex] u(0,t) = 0[/itex] , [itex]u(2,t) = -2[/itex], for [itex]t>0 [/itex]
(IC) [itex] u(x,0)=x-x^2[/itex] , [itex] u_t(x,0)=0 [/itex] for [itex] 0\leq x \leq2 [/itex]
Make the substitution ##u(x,t) = v(x,t) + \Psi(x)##. Put that into your equation and initial conditions and see if you can make a homogeneous problem in ##v(x,t)## by choosing ##\Psi(x)## in such a way to take care of the non-homogeneous terms in the DE and boundary conditions.

Thank you for your response,

I believe if I make the substitution [itex] u(x,t) = v(x,t) -\frac{x^2}{2} [/itex] this enables me to take care of the non-homogeneous terms in the DE and BC. Substituting into the PDE I get [itex] v_{tt} - 4v_{xx} +4 = 4 \implies v_{tt} - 4v_{xx} =0 [/itex] and the boundary conditions becomes [itex] u(0,t)=v(0,t)=0[/itex] and [itex]u(2,t) = v(2,t) -2 =- 2 \implies v(2,t) = 0 [/itex]

I presume from here we solve the homogeneous case in [itex] v(x,t) [/itex] and then use our substitution to get the solution for the original PDE.

Particle Head said:
Thank you for your response,

I believe if I make the substitution [itex] u(x,t) = v(x,t) -\frac{x^2}{2} [/itex] this enables me to take care of the non-homogeneous terms in the DE and BC. Substituting into the PDE I get [itex] v_{tt} - 4v_{xx} +4 = 4 \implies v_{tt} - 4v_{xx} =0 [/itex] and the boundary conditions becomes [itex] u(0,t)=v(0,t)=0[/itex] and [itex]u(2,t) = v(2,t) -2 =- 2 \implies v(2,t) = 0 [/itex]

I presume from here we solve the homogeneous case in [itex] v(x,t) [/itex] and then use our substitution to get the solution for the original PDE.

Yes, that looks good. Don't overlook that fact that the initial condition now becomes ##v(x,0) = u(x,0)-\Psi(x)##.

Related to Solving a wave equation with seperation of variables.

1. What is a wave equation?

A wave equation is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of a wave. It is used to model many physical phenomena, including sound, light, and water waves.

2. What is separation of variables?

Separation of variables is a technique used to solve partial differential equations, such as the wave equation. It involves separating the variables in the equation and solving each part separately.

3. Why is solving a wave equation with separation of variables important?

Solving a wave equation with separation of variables allows us to accurately model and understand the behavior of waves in various systems. It is also a fundamental technique used in many areas of physics and engineering.

4. What are the steps to solve a wave equation with separation of variables?

The steps to solve a wave equation with separation of variables are: 1) Write the wave equation in its standard form, 2) Separate the variables by assuming a solution in the form of two independent functions, 3) Substitute the separated solution into the wave equation, 4) Solve the resulting ordinary differential equations, 5) Apply boundary conditions to determine the constants of integration, and 6) Combine the separated solutions to get the complete solution to the wave equation.

5. What are some real-life applications of solving a wave equation with separation of variables?

Solving a wave equation with separation of variables has many real-life applications, such as in acoustics, electromagnetics, and fluid dynamics. It is used to study the behavior of sound waves in musical instruments, electromagnetic waves in communication systems, and water waves in oceanography. It is also used in fields like seismology, where it helps in understanding and predicting earthquake behavior.