Solving a system on linear equations

In summary, the given system of equations has more variables than equations, resulting in either no solutions or an infinite number of solutions. The approach to solving this problem may vary, but one possible solution is to move x5 and x6 to the right hand side and solve the remaining 4 x 4 system, with x5 and x6 taking on arbitrary values.
noamo48

Homework Statement

Row A) x1 + 2x2 - x3 + x4 + 2x5 = 1
Row B) 2x1 + x2 + x3 - x4 + 2x6 = -1
Row C) x1 + 4x2 - 2x3 + x4 - x5 = 0
Row D) x1 + x2 + 3x3 + x4 + x6 = 2

Homework Equations

Ri <--> Rj
Ri --> cRj, c not equal to 0
Ri --> Ri + cRj, c [tex]\neq[/tex] 0, i [tex]\neq[/tex] j

The Attempt at a Solution

1) Swap rows B and C

2a) Add (-1) x Row A to Row B
2b) Add (-2) x Row A to Row C
2c) Add (-1) x Row A to Row D

3a) Multiply Row B by (1/2)
3b) Add (-2) x Row B to Row A
3c) Add (3) x Row B to Row C
3d) Add Row B to Row D

4a) Multiply Row C by (2/3)
4b) Add (1/2) x Row C to Row B
4c) Add (-7/2) x Row C to Row D

5a) Multiply Row D by (1/7)
5b) Add (-1) x Row D to Row A
5c) Add Row D to Row B
5d) Add (2) x Row D to Row C

I wind up with a very funky solution set full of large fractions as coefficients...can someone let me know what they get please so I can compare...thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The first thing you need to recognize is that there are more variables (x1-x6) than there are equations. This means there are either no solutions or an infinite number of solutions. Are you sure the problem statement is correct?

I am positive that is the problem in my book...

I don't know how your instructor would want you to approach this problem but I'd solve it by moving x5 and x6 to the right hand side and solve the resulting 4 x 4 problem recognizing that x5 and x6 can take on arbitrary values (meaning there are infinitely many solutions).

Related to Solving a system on linear equations

1. What is a system of linear equations?

A system of linear equations is a set of equations with two or more unknown variables that can be solved simultaneously. It represents a set of relationships between the variables and can be used to find the values of the unknown variables.

2. How do you solve a system of linear equations?

There are several methods for solving a system of linear equations, such as substitution, elimination, and graphing. The most common method is using the elimination method, where you manipulate the equations to eliminate one of the variables and solve for the remaining variable.

3. What is the importance of solving a system of linear equations?

Solving a system of linear equations is important in many fields, including science, engineering, and economics. It allows us to find the values of unknown variables and make predictions or solve real-world problems.

4. Can a system of linear equations have no solution?

Yes, a system of linear equations can have no solution if the equations are parallel or if they intersect at the same point. This indicates that the equations are inconsistent and do not have a common solution.

5. How do you check if a set of solutions is correct for a system of linear equations?

To check if a set of solutions is correct for a system of linear equations, you can plug in the values for the variables into each equation and see if they satisfy the equations. If the values make all the equations true, then the solutions are correct.