Solving a Steam Engine Flywheel Angular Displacement Problem

In summary, The flywheel of a steam engine starts from rest and accelerates with a constant angular acceleration of 1.33 rad/s2 for 23.5 seconds. It then maintains a constant angular velocity for a total of 67.3 seconds. Using kinematic equations, the total angle through which the wheel has turned after 67.3 seconds is 1051.73075 deg. The acceleration during the second part of the motion is zero.
jcfor3ver

Homework Statement

The flywheel of a steam engine begins to rotate from rest with a constant angular acceleration of 1.33 rad/s2. It accelerates for 23.5 s, then maintains a constant angular velocity. Calculate the total angle through which the wheel has turned 67.3 s after it begins rotating.

Homework Equations

Using kinematic equations (I just replace the variables with angular variables, such as velocity will actually be represented with and omega symbol)

Vf = Vi + at
Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ax Vi = initial velocity
x = ViT + .5at^2 a = acceleration
x = displacement
vf = final velocity
t = time

The Attempt at a Solution

So first off, I found how far the flywheel thing has traveled. I knew it accelerated for 23.5 seconds, so I used the equation for distance=.5*a*t^2. This number I got was 367.24625, which I used as my theta initial val. Then I proceeded to find the velocity (omega) at 23.5 seconds (since it is constant after that time) and using the equation above for vel. I got 31.255 (I took the accel and multiplied it by the time 23.5 s).
This gave me my Vf, or Omega final which is 31.255 rad/sec.

My total time is 67.3 s, but since I acceled the first 23.5 s and got values for that time interval, I took my delta time as 67.3-23.5 s and got 43.8 s.

So Theta initial= 367.24625 deg
Omega final= 31.255 rad/sec (constant)
Delta Time= 43.8 sec
And my accel=0 during this time interval

I used the equation theta f= theta i + .5(omega)(delta time) and got 1051.73075 deg. I've tried many other ways and still cannot get the right answer. The computer tells me if the answer is right or wrong.

HELP PLZ!

Physics news on Phys.org

In the second part acceleration is zero.
So total angle is θf = θi + ω*t2.( t2 = 43.8 s)

Related to Solving a Steam Engine Flywheel Angular Displacement Problem

What is a steam engine flywheel?

A steam engine flywheel is a mechanical device that is used to regulate the speed of a steam engine. It is typically a large, heavy wheel attached to the engine's shaft, and its rotational inertia helps to smooth out the engine's power output.

Why is solving a steam engine flywheel angular displacement problem important?

Solving a steam engine flywheel angular displacement problem is important because it allows us to understand and control the motion of the flywheel, which is crucial for the proper functioning of the steam engine. It also helps us to optimize the efficiency and performance of the engine.

What factors affect the angular displacement of a steam engine flywheel?

The main factors that affect the angular displacement of a steam engine flywheel are the torque applied to the flywheel, the mass and radius of the flywheel, and the speed at which the engine is running. Other factors such as friction and air resistance may also have an impact.

How do you calculate the angular displacement of a steam engine flywheel?

The angular displacement of a steam engine flywheel can be calculated using the formula: θ = (1/2)(Iω²/T), where θ is the angular displacement, I is the moment of inertia of the flywheel, ω is the angular velocity, and T is the torque applied to the flywheel.

What are some common methods for solving a steam engine flywheel angular displacement problem?

Some common methods for solving a steam engine flywheel angular displacement problem include using kinematic equations, applying Newton's laws of motion, and using conservation of energy principles. Computer simulations and physical experiments may also be used to solve these types of problems.