Solving a Relativistic Momentum Problem with Differential Equations

In summary, the conversation revolves around a differential equation problem involving an electron's momentum and constant force. The formula for calculating momentum is given, along with Newton's second law and the question of finding v(t) and the distance traveled by the electron. The solution involves taking the derivative of momentum and integrating it, leading to the conclusion that v → c as t→∞ and finding the distance is a straightforward process.
la6ki
I've been trying to work on differential equations using several books and one of the first exercise questions I encountered already has me stuck.

The momentum p of an electron at speed v near the speed c of light increases
according to the formula p=mv/√(1-v^2/c^2), where m is a constant. If an electron is subject to a constant force F, Newton's second law describing its motion is

[itex]\frac{dp}{dt}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{d}{dt}[/itex][itex]\frac{mv}{√(1-v^2/c^2)}[/itex]=F

Find v(t) and show that v → c as t→∞. Find the distance traveled by the electron
in time t if it starts from rest.

I started by taking the derivative of the momentum with respect to time and obtained:

F=ma/(1-v^2/c^2)^3/2

I'm not sure how to continue from here. This differential equation doesn't look simple to solve but it's actually from the very first set of exercises of an introductory ODE chapter so I don't think I'm actually supposed to be solving it. I think I am probably missing something that makes this really simple to solve and am confusing myself.

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
la6ki said:
I've been trying to work on differential equations using several books and one of the first exercise questions I encountered already has me stuck.

The momentum p of an electron at speed v near the speed c of light increases
according to the formula p=mv/√(1-v^2/c^2), where m is a constant. If an electron is subject to a constant force F, Newton's second law describing its motion is

[itex]\frac{dp}{dt}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{d}{dt}[/itex][itex]\frac{mv}{√(1-v^2/c^2)}[/itex]=F

Find v(t) and show that v → c as t→∞. Find the distance traveled by the electron
in time t if it starts from rest.

I started by taking the derivative of the momentum with respect to time and obtained:

F=ma/(1-v^2/c^2)^3/2

I'm not sure how to continue from here. This differential equation doesn't look simple to solve but it's actually from the very first set of exercises of an introductory ODE chapter so I don't think I'm actually supposed to be solving it. I think I am probably missing something that makes this really simple to solve and am confusing myself.

Any help would be appreciated.

The derivative looks correct.

To avoid confusion, let's state it more clearly: ##\displaystyle \gamma^3 m \frac{dv}{dt} = F##, where ##\displaystyle \gamma = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2}}}## using the usual definitions.

That's a simple separable ODE, and you have to solve it (no way around it). But it's very easy. You can integrate wrt ##v## by a simple trigonometric substitution. Then find the limit as ##t \to \infty##.

(By the way, in one of your intermediate steps in finding ##v(t)##, you will derive an expression relating ##m,v,F## and ##t## that has a very simple form that is actually immediately obvious from the relationship between force and impulse).

To find the distance, what would you do with ##v(t)##?

Last edited:
I don't understand why you took "the derivative of the momentum". You are given that
[tex]\frac{dp}{dt}= \frac{d}{dt}\frac{mv}{\sqrt{1- \frac{v^2}{c^2}}}= F[/tex]

Integrating that is trivial:
[tex]\frac{mv}{\sqrt{1- \frac{v^2}{c^2}}}= Ft+ C[/tex]

Now, solve that for v. Of course, then, v= dx/dt.

HallsofIvy said:
I don't understand why you took "the derivative of the momentum". You are given that
[tex]\frac{dp}{dt}= \frac{d}{dt}\frac{mv}{\sqrt{1- \frac{v^2}{c^2}}}= F[/tex]

Integrating that is trivial:
[tex]\frac{mv}{\sqrt{1- \frac{v^2}{c^2}}}= Ft+ C[/tex]

Good point.

As I suspected, I was definitely making it more complicated for myself :) Thanks for the help guys, I managed to solve it. I'm still not too experienced and sometimes obvious things don't immediately hit me in the face.

Related to Solving a Relativistic Momentum Problem with Differential Equations

1. What is relativistic momentum?

Relativistic momentum is the momentum of an object at speeds close to the speed of light. It takes into account the effects of relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, on an object's momentum.

2. How is relativistic momentum different from classical momentum?

Classical momentum is based on Newton's laws of motion and does not take into account the effects of relativity. Relativistic momentum is a more accurate description of an object's momentum at high speeds.

3. Can you calculate relativistic momentum?

Yes, relativistic momentum can be calculated using the equation p = mv/√(1-v^2/c^2), where p is momentum, m is mass, v is velocity, and c is the speed of light.

4. What happens to an object's relativistic momentum as it approaches the speed of light?

As an object approaches the speed of light, its relativistic momentum increases. However, it can never reach the speed of light due to the principles of relativity.

5. Why is it important to consider relativistic momentum in scientific calculations?

Relativistic momentum is important because it provides a more accurate understanding of an object's momentum at high speeds. It is also necessary for calculations involving particles at the subatomic level, such as those in particle accelerators.