Solving a Rectangular Loop Wire Problem: A Tutorial

In summary, the problem involves finding the net force on a rectangular loop of wire in the presence of a straight wire carrying a current of 2.5 Amperes. The force on a current carrying conductor in a magnetic field is given by F = I*BXL or F = I*B*L*sinθ. In this case, θ = 90 degrees. To find the net force, both magnetic and electric forces need to be considered. However, there is no electric force present in this scenario. The forces can be calculated using the given information, but the measurement for L is not provided in the diagram and is not to scale.
donuts

Homework Statement

A rectangular loop of wire lies in the same plane as a straight wire, as shown http://i30.tinypic.com/347fupw.jpg". There is a current of 2.5 Amperes in both wires. Determine the magnitude and direction of the net force on the loop.

Homework Equations

Not sure. I am pretty lost. do i use the equation for the magnetic field of a straight wire = (μ_0/4pi)*(2I/r)?

The Attempt at a Solution

i am thinking find the electric field of the wire to find what the field will be on each point on the loop and from there find the force on each point on the loop. then, maybe i can use an integral to add all the forces on the loop to find the net force?

as you can tell, I am very lost, and a little behind in class. If you don't want to answer the problem (with explanation), maybe you could point me in the right direction. any help is appreciated.

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In order to obtain both the magnitude and direction of the force on a charge, q1 at position , experiencing a field due to the presence of another charge, q2 at position 'r2, the full vector form of Coulomb's law is required.

The presence of a loop requires the formula above. Good luck and your welcome.

Force on a current carrying conductor in a magnetic field is given by
F = I*BXL or F = I*B*L*sinθ. Ιn this problem θ =90 degrees.

thanks guys, but so to find the net force on the loop, do i need to find both magnetic forces and electric forces and combine them? i can see now how to find the magnetic force, but from the information given, I am not sure there is an electric force?

There is no electric force between the current carrying conductors.

o ok...so this is what i have: there are going to be two forces, one for the parallel wires 3cm apart (attracting), and the one for the parallel wires 8 cm apart (repulsing). the first force is equal to I*L*sin90*B = [2.5 amps]*[sin90]*[10^-7(telsa*m^2)/amp*m]*[2(2.5amps)/.03m]*L. I would do the same for the parallel wires farther apart, except use the distance .08m.
The thing is I am not sure how to get the measurement for L, since it is not on the diagram and the diagram is not set to scale.

Related to Solving a Rectangular Loop Wire Problem: A Tutorial

1. What is a rectangular loop wire problem?

A rectangular loop wire problem involves finding the magnetic field created by a loop of wire with a rectangular shape. This can be a challenging task, but it is an important concept in the field of electromagnetism.

2. How do I solve a rectangular loop wire problem?

To solve a rectangular loop wire problem, you will need to use the formula for the magnetic field created by a current-carrying wire. This formula takes into account the dimensions of the loop, the magnitude of the current, and the distance from the loop.

3. What are the steps to solving a rectangular loop wire problem?

The steps to solving a rectangular loop wire problem are as follows: 1) Determine the dimensions of the loop and the direction of current flow. 2) Use the formula for the magnetic field to calculate the field at a specific point. 3) Repeat this process for multiple points to create a visual representation of the magnetic field.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving a rectangular loop wire problem?

Some common mistakes when solving a rectangular loop wire problem include misinterpreting the direction of current flow, using incorrect units, and forgetting to take into account the dimensions of the loop. It is important to carefully follow the steps and double check your calculations to avoid these errors.

5. How can I apply the concept of a rectangular loop wire problem in real life?

The concept of a rectangular loop wire problem has many real-life applications, such as in the design of electromagnets, motors, and generators. It is also important in understanding the behavior of magnetic fields in everyday objects, such as speakers and MRI machines. By learning how to solve these problems, you can better understand and analyze the world around you.