Solving a Problem with Two Gear Wheels and a Chain

In summary: So we can use simple trig to find S.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two gear wheels with different radii and a chain wrapped around them. The participants try to find a simpler method to solve the problem and eventually come up with an equation using trigonometry and geometry. They also discuss the angle and length of the chain and provide a diagram to explain the solution.
Hypercase
Hi
Ive been trying to solve the following problem:
There are two gear wheels whose centers are separated by 25 cm.
a chain is wrapped around the two wheels such that if one wheel is turned the other turns(much like a cycle chain.) If th radius of the wheels are 11cm & 4 cm respectively, find the lenth of the chain.

I know the problem seems simple, and i have solved it. But I did it by estending the chains in the direction of the smaller wheel and ended up with a cone. Then I foundout the length of thechain,but I realize that the working was too long. Is there a simpler method to solve this . Is there a general method?
Plz help.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
The general method for this type of problem is to draw a very careful picture then use trig and geometry to arrive at an equation. Here is what I came up with.

Let:
D = separation of the centers of the gears
S = length of chain between the gears (ie length of the line tangent to both circles)
[tex] R_1 = {radius\ of\ large\ gear} [/tex]
[tex] R_2 = {radius\ of\ small\ gear}[/tex]
[tex] \delta R = R_1 - R_2 [/tex]
[tex] \theta = sin^{-1}( \frac { \delta R} D)[/tex]
I have to go, work calls will complete the expression later!

Last edited:
could u please explain further. why did u subtract R2 from R1.
is
PHP:
theta
the angle subtended by the part of the chain wrapped around the centre.

Also how do I add a figure to my post. I tried attaching a paint file , but it is always to large.

THanks in advance.

Ok, am back!

The line which is tangent to each of the circles (gears) is perpendicular to a radius of each gear, if we translate this line , maintaining the right angles, down the radius of the small gear you have a right triangle with the small side = to the difference in radius and the hypotenuse the separation of the gears. This is where I get [tex] \theta [/tex] which is the angle the chain makes with the center line. So now we can compute the length of the tangent line as
[tex]S = D Cos( \theta) [/tex]

By examining the geometry you will find that [tex] \theta [/tex] is also the "over lap" angle. That is on the larger gear the chain must be in contact with the gear a bit more then Pi radians and on the small gear a bit less then Pi radians, this bit is [tex] \theta [/tex] so for the total length (L) of chain we sum up these pieces.

[tex] L = 2S + ( \Pi - 2 \theta) R_2 + ( \Pi + 2 \theta)R_1 [/tex]

EDIT: click on the formulas to see the code that creates them. Also see the LaTex stickies at the top of General Physics.
EDIT (again!): BTW using this formula I get L=99.1cm for your gears.

Last edited:
thanks a million.

I was wondering if i cud see your diagram... I'm convinced with the final formula. However, i don't fully understand how S = Dcos(theta)... shudn't it b different from Dcos(theta) because the length of chain around each wheel is a little off pie... had the length of the chain around each wheel been pie, then S wud equals Dcos(theta).
Its hard to explain what i mean without a diagram...

http://home.comcast.net/~rossgr1/gear.jpg is a drawing I made in ACAD. This is a scale representation of the gears described above. Note that S corresponds to the distance 24 as labeled in the diagram. The key is to understand that [tex] \theta[/tex] is the angle between the vertical and the point at which the chain is tangent to the gear. Since the chain is tangent to both gears it must be perpendicular to the radius at the point of contact on BOTH gears.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Solving a Problem with Two Gear Wheels and a Chain

1. How do gear wheels and a chain solve a problem?

The problem with two gear wheels and a chain is typically a mechanical one, where the goal is to transfer motion or power from one gear to another. By connecting the two gears with a chain, the rotational motion of one gear is transferred to the other, effectively solving the problem of transferring motion between two gears.

2. What is the relationship between gear size and speed?

The relationship between gear size and speed is inversely proportional. This means that as the gear size increases, the speed decreases. This is because the larger gear has more teeth, so it takes longer for each tooth to come into contact with the smaller gear, resulting in a slower speed.

3. Can gear wheels and a chain be used for other purposes besides transferring motion?

Yes, gear wheels and a chain can be used for a variety of purposes besides transferring motion. They can also be used to change the direction of motion, increase or decrease torque, or even to provide a speed reduction or increase in a mechanical system.

4. How do you calculate gear ratio?

Gear ratio is calculated by dividing the number of teeth on the driven gear by the number of teeth on the driving gear. For example, if the driving gear has 20 teeth and the driven gear has 40 teeth, the gear ratio would be 40/20 or 2:1. This means that for every 2 revolutions of the driving gear, the driven gear will make 1 revolution.

5. What are the advantages of using gear wheels and a chain?

There are several advantages to using gear wheels and a chain in mechanical systems. They are efficient and can transfer motion over long distances with minimal loss. They are also durable and can withstand high amounts of torque. Additionally, gear wheels and a chain can be used to create gear trains, which can provide a wide range of speed and torque combinations for different applications.