Solving a Probability Question with Poisson Distribution

In summary, the conversation discusses a probability question solved using the Poisson distribution. The resulting equation is 1.67 = e^-a / (1 - a), and the speaker is unable to solve for the value of a using series expansion. They mention trying to use the product-log function, but it does not lead to a solution. The speaker is unsure if the equation is correct and if an analytical solution is necessary.
persist911

Homework Statement

I am solving a particular probability question using Poission distributin after the Solving I get an equation

Homework Equations

Code:
 1.67 =  e^-a (1/1-a)
I ought to get the value of a from the equation but I was Unable to go further from here .

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried expaning e^-a using series but no luck . I am totally stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming you meant
[tex]1.67 = \frac{e^{-a}}{1 - a}[/tex]
there is no "nice" solution.
It can be written as
[tex]1 - a = W_n(- a / e) \qquad (n \in \mathbb{Z})[/tex]
where Wn the so-called product-log function, i.e. the solution for w of z = w ew. So that doesn't bring you much further, I'm afraid... are you sure you need to solve this analytically and - if so - the equation is correct?

Related to Solving a Probability Question with Poisson Distribution

1. What is Poisson distribution?

Poisson distribution is a statistical distribution that is used to model the probability of a certain number of events occurring in a fixed time or space, given the average rate of occurrence.

2. How is Poisson distribution different from other distributions?

Poisson distribution differs from other distributions in that it is used for discrete events, while other distributions like the normal distribution are used for continuous events.

3. How do you calculate the probability using Poisson distribution?

To calculate the probability using Poisson distribution, you need to know the average rate of occurrence (λ) and the number of events you are interested in (k). The formula is P(k;λ) = (e^-λ * λ^k) / k!, where e is the base of the natural logarithm.

4. What is the mean and variance of a Poisson distribution?

The mean of a Poisson distribution is equal to the average rate of occurrence (λ). The variance is also equal to λ, which means that the standard deviation is the square root of λ.

5. What are some real-life applications of Poisson distribution?

Poisson distribution is commonly used in various fields, including finance, biology, and physics. It can be used to model the number of customer arrivals in a certain time period, the number of accidents in a city, or the number of particles emitted by a radioactive substance.