Solving a linear first order differential equation

In summary, the conversation was about solving a differential equation and finding the integrating factor. The equation was put into standard linear form and the integrating factor was determined to be e^(-x/4). The final solution was given as y= (x/4)e^(x/4) + Ce^(x/4).
Logan Land
4y'=e^(x/4) + y

First I need to divide through by 4 correct?
To obtain
y'=(e^(x/4))/4 + (y/4)

But then when I try to find integrating factor I just come up with e^(x/4) which I think is incorrect

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: Solving a differential equation

First put the equation in the standard form.

I have edited the title to make it a bit more descriptive of the problem. A topic's title should give at least one level of information more than is implied by the forum in which it is posted. :D

I would first arrange the ODE in standard linear form by subtracting through by $y$ and then dividing through by 4:

\(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}-\frac{1}{4}y=\frac{1}{4}e^{\frac{x}{4}}\)

Now, what is your integrating factor $\mu(x)$?

Last edited:
MarkFL said:
I have edited the title to make it a bit more descriptive of the problem. A topic's title should give at least one level of information more than is implied by the forum in which it is posted. :D

I would first arrane the ODE in standard linear form by subtracting through by $y$ and then dividing through by 4:

\(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}-\frac{1}{4}y=\frac{1}{4}e^{\frac{x}{4}}\)

Now, what is your integrating factor $\mu(x)$?

I still keep getting e^(x/4)

Do I not put it as e^(1/4)(integral e^(x/4))

Don't forget the sign !.

ZaidAlyafey said:
Don't forget the sign !.

Yes, in this problem, we have \(\displaystyle P(x)=-\frac{1}{4}\).

\(\displaystyle 4y' - y = e^{\frac{x}{4}}\)

Divide by \(\displaystyle 4 e^{\frac{x}{4}}\)

\(\displaystyle y'e^{-\frac{x}{4}} - \frac{1}{4}\,y\,e^{-\frac{x}{4}} = \frac{1}{4}\)

Now we realize that \(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx} \left( y e^{-\frac{x}{4}}\right) = y'e^{-\frac{x}{4}} -\frac{1}{4} y\,e^{-\frac{x}{4}} \)

Hence \(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx} \left( y e^{-\frac{x}{4}}\right)=\frac{1}{4}\)

Integrating with respect to x :

\(\displaystyle y\, e^{-\frac{x}{4}}=\frac{1}{4}x\,+\,C\)

\(\displaystyle y\,=\frac{1}{4}\,x\, e^{\frac{x}{4}}+\,C e^{\frac{x}{4}}\)

MarkFL said:
Yes, in this problem, we have \(\displaystyle P(x)=-\frac{1}{4}\).

So no matter what we use the information on the left to compute the integrating factor? Even in this case with no x just (-1/4)

In that case would it be (-1/4)x?

e^(-1/4)integral dxOh the integrating factor is e^(-x/4)?

LLand314 said:
Oh the integrating factor is e^(-x/4)?

yes .

You want something of the form
[tex]\frac{dY}{dx}= f(x)[/tex]

Initially we have
[tex]4\frac{dy}{dx}- y= e^{x/4}[/tex]
where I have put all the "y" dependence on the left.

Yes, you can if you like divide by 4- that is not necessary but makes the calculations simpler
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}- y/4= e^{x/4}/4[/tex]

We want to multiply by some u(x) that will make the left side a single derivative: that the left side becomes [tex]\frac{d(uy)}{dx}[/tex].

By the product rule, [tex]\frac{d(uy)}{dx}= u\frac{dy}{dx}+ \frac{du}{dx}y[/tex] and, we can see that, by multiplying by u we would have [tex]u\frac{dy}{dx}- \frac{uy}{4}[/tex]. Comparing those, we see we must have [tex]\frac{du}{dx}= -\frac{u}{4}[/tex], a simple, separable equation: [tex]\frac{du}{u}= -\frac{dx}{4}[/tex] and integerating [tex]ln(u)= -\frac{x}{4}+ C[/tex] or [tex]u= Ce^{-x/4}[/tex].

That is, an "integrating factor" is [tex]e^{-x/4}[/tex]:
[tex]e^{-x/4}\frac{dy}{dx}- \frac{e^{-x/4}y}{4}= \frac{d(e^{-x/4}y}{dx}[/tex]

so multiplying both sides of the original equation by [tex]e^{-x/4}[/tex] we have
[tex]\frac{d(e^{-x/4}y}{dx}= \frac{1}{4}[/tex]
and we can integrate both sides to get
[tex]e^{-x/4}y= \frac{x}{4}+ C[/tex]
so that [tex]y= \frac{x}{4}e^{x/4}+ Ce^{x/4}[/tex].

Related to Solving a linear first order differential equation

1. What is a linear first order differential equation?

A linear first order differential equation is a type of mathematical equation that involves an unknown function and its first derivative, with the highest power of the derivative being 1. It can be written in the form of y' + p(x)y = q(x), where p(x) and q(x) are functions of x.

2. How do you solve a linear first order differential equation?

To solve a linear first order differential equation, you can use the method of separation of variables, in which you separate the variables on each side of the equation and then integrate both sides. You can also use the method of integrating factors, in which you multiply both sides by an integrating factor to make the equation easier to solve. Other methods, such as substitution and variation of parameters, can also be used.

3. What is the purpose of solving a linear first order differential equation?

The purpose of solving a linear first order differential equation is to find the solution for the unknown function y(x) that satisfies the given equation. This allows us to model and analyze various real-world phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

4. What are some applications of linear first order differential equations?

Linear first order differential equations have many applications in different areas of science and engineering. They can be used to model population growth, radioactive decay, electrical circuits, and chemical reactions, among others. They are also used in control systems, optimization problems, and in various physical laws and principles.

5. Are there any special cases or exceptions in solving linear first order differential equations?

There are some special cases in solving linear first order differential equations, such as when the coefficient of the highest derivative is a constant or when the equation is homogeneous. In these cases, specific methods may be used to solve the equation. There are also some types of non-linear equations that can be transformed into linear equations and solved using the same techniques.