Solving a Homework Statement: Finding Forces and Distances

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework question about finding the values of r and θ using simple equations. The equations used are ΣFx = Tuppersinθ + Tlowersinθ + mgsinθ = \frac{mv^2}{r} and ΣFy = Tuppercosθ - Tlowercosθ - mg = 0. The weight is in the opposite direction of the pole, making mgsinθ negative, but it is not needed in the final calculation. The values of r and θ are found to be 1.323m and 41.41° respectively.
StrawHat

Homework Statement

BtMla.png

**Hope I don't get in trouble for posting a screenshot of this online homework question...**

Homework Equations

[itex]\Sigma[/itex]Fx = marad = [itex]\frac{mv^2}{r}[/itex]
[itex]\Sigma[/itex]Fy = mg

The Attempt at a Solution

Simple equations allowed me to find r = 1.323m and θ = 41.41°
[itex]\Sigma[/itex]Fx = Tuppersinθ + Tlowersinθ + mgsinθ = [itex]\frac{mv^2}{r}[/itex]
Tuppersinθ + Tlowersinθ + 28.85N = 169.57N
Tupper + Tlower = 212.75N

[itex]\Sigma[/itex]Fy = Tuppercosθ - Tlowercosθ - mg = 0
Tuppercosθ - Tlowercosθ = mg
Tupper - Tlower = 58.15N
Tupper = 58.15N + Tlower

Substituting Tupper,
58.15N + Tlower + Tlower = 212.75N
58.15N + 2(Tlower) = 212.75N
Tlower = 77.3N
Tupper = 58.15N + 77.3N = 135.45N

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

StrawHat said:
Simple equations allowed me to find r = 1.323m and θ = 41.41°
Good.
[itex]\Sigma[/itex]Fx = Tuppersinθ + Tlowersinθ + mgsinθ = [itex]\frac{mv^2}{r}[/itex]
In what direction does the weight act?

Doc Al said:
In what direction does the weight act?

Away from the pole, so I guess mgsinθ is negative as well?

EDIT: Ah, nope. Fx is only mv^2/r, so I don't need to take into account the gravitational force. Got the answers, thanks for your help!

Last edited:

Related to Solving a Homework Statement: Finding Forces and Distances

1. What is the first step in solving a homework statement about finding forces and distances?

The first step is to carefully read and understand the given problem statement. Pay attention to any given information and identify what is being asked in the question.

2. How do I find the forces acting on an object in a given scenario?

To find the forces acting on an object, you can use Newton's Second Law, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. Identify all the forces acting on the object and use vector addition to find the net force.

3. What is the importance of drawing a diagram when solving a problem involving forces and distances?

Drawing a diagram helps to visualize the given scenario and identify all the forces and distances involved. It also helps in applying the correct equations and finding the correct direction for the forces.

4. How do I calculate the distance between two objects in a given scenario?

To calculate the distance between two objects, you can use the distance formula, which is d = √((x2-x1)^2 + (y2-y1)^2). Plug in the given coordinates for each object and solve for the distance.

5. What should I do if I am stuck on a problem involving forces and distances?

If you are stuck on a problem, try breaking it down into smaller parts and solve each part separately. You can also ask for help from a classmate or your instructor. Additionally, reviewing the relevant equations and concepts may also help in solving the problem.