Solving a differential equation with a unit vector in it

In summary, the problem involves a coastguard's cutter chasing after smugglers on a ship, with the cutter always moving towards the ship at a constant speed. The goal is to determine the ratio of the cutter's speed to the ship's speed. The equation \dot{\mathbf{r}}=-kv\hat{r} - \dot{\mathbf{r}_s} is used to represent the situation, with \mathbf{r} representing the relative displacement between the two vessels. The problem can be solved by setting \mathbf{r_s}=\left[ \begin{array}{ccc}0\\v\end{array}\right]t and \mathbf{r_c}=\left[\begin{array
Alexander350
I need to solve:
[tex]\dot{\mathbf{r}}=-kv\hat{r} - \dot{\mathbf{r}_s}[/tex]
However, I do not know how to deal with the fact that there is a unit vector. How can this be done? [itex]\dot{\mathbf{r}_s}[/itex] is a constant vector.

Physics news on Phys.org
Alexander350 said:
I need to solve:
[tex]\dot{\mathbf{r}}=-kv\hat{r} - \dot{\mathbf{r}_s}[/tex]
However, I do not know how to deal with the fact that there is a unit vector. How can this be done? [itex]\dot{\mathbf{r}_s}[/itex] is a constant vector.
##\hat r = \frac {\vec r}{|\vec r|}## -- Does that help?

Mark44 said:
##\hat r = \frac {\vec r}{|\vec r|}## -- Does that help?
This is what it was written as initially, but the problem is that the absolute value of the vector also changes with time, so I did not know what to do.

What is v in this problem? Is it ##|\vec v|##?

Mark44 said:
What is v in this problem? Is it ##|\vec v|##?
v is just a constant number.

I asked the wrong question. What I meant was, could v be ##|\dot r|##?

Mark44 said:
I asked the wrong question. What I meant was, could v be ##|\dot r|##?
No, v is just a number. It would be the same question if you replaced kv with another constant c.

Multiply ##\hat r## by 1, in the form of ##\frac{|r|}{|r|}##.
In other words, replace
##\dot{\mathbf{r}}=-kv\hat{r} - \dot{\mathbf{r}_s}##
with ##\dot{\mathbf{r}}=-kv\frac 1 {|r|} |r| \hat{r} - \dot{\mathbf{r}_s} = -\frac{kv}{|r|} \vec r - \dot{\mathbf{r}_s}##
Now you have a DE in terms of dr/dt and r, plus a constant.

BTW, you really should have posted this question in the Homework section.

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
Multiply ##\hat r## by 1, in the form of ##\frac{|r|}{|r|}##.
In other words, replace
##\dot{\mathbf{r}}=-kv\hat{r} - \dot{\mathbf{r}_s}##
with ##\dot{\mathbf{r}}=-kv\frac 1 {|r|} |r| \hat{r} - \dot{\mathbf{r}_s} = -\frac{kv}{|r|} \vec r - \dot{\mathbf{r}_s}##
Now you have a DE in terms of dr/dt and r, plus a constant.

BTW, you really should have posted this question in the Homework section.
How does this help when [itex]|r|[/itex] is not constant? And where does the [itex]\frac 1 {|r|}[/itex] come from on the constant?

Last edited by a moderator:
Alexander350 said:
How does this help when [itex]|r|[/itex] is not constant?
Are you sure that it's not constant? You didn't provide the full problem, so there's the possibility that you're making an assumption that isn't necessary. For example, if a particle is moving in a circular path at constant speed, ##\dot r## is changing, but ##|\dot r|## is constant.
Alexander350 said:
And where does the [itex]\frac 1 {|r|}[/itex] come from on the constant?
It shouldn't be there. When I started to write that, I was multiplying both sides by |r|, but I changed my mind, and multiplied one term of the equation by ##\frac{|r|}{|r|}##. I have edited my earlier response and the text that you quoted.

Mark44 said:
Are you sure that it's not constant? You didn't provide the full problem, so there's the possibility that you're making an assumption that isn't necessary. For example, if a particle is moving in a circular path at constant speed, ##\dot r## is changing, but ##|\dot r|## is constant.
It is definitely not constant. It is equal to the relative displacement between two things which are getting closer together over time. If it is not constant, does that make this approach impossible to solve?

Can you post the actual problem statement? You've stated that v is "just a number," but I can't help thinking the v is somehow related to velocity or speed.

Mark44 said:
Can you post the actual problem statement? You've stated that v is "just a number," but I can't help thinking the v is somehow related to velocity or speed.
Smugglers set off in a ship in a direction perpendicular to a straight shore and move at a constant speed v. The coastguard's cutter is a distance a along the shore from the smugglers' ship, and leaves the shore at the same time. The cutter always moves at a constant speed directly towards the smugglers' ship, and catches up with it at a distance a from the shore. How many times greater is the speed of the coastguard's cutter than the smugglers' ship?
I started with the equation [tex]\frac{d\mathbf{r_c}}{dt}=kv\frac{\mathbf{r_s}-\mathbf{r_c}}{|\mathbf{r_s}-\mathbf{r_c}|}[/tex] My logic behind this was that speed of the coastguard is some multiple of the speed of the smugglers and its velocity was in the direction of their relative displacement. Then someone recommended to set [itex]\mathbf{r}=\mathbf{r}_c-\mathbf{r}_s[/itex] and rewrite the equation as [itex]\dot{\mathbf{r}}=-kv\hat{r} - \dot{\mathbf{r}_s}[/itex]. I set [itex]\mathbf{r_s}=\left[ \begin{array}{ccc}0\\v\end{array}\right]t[/itex] and at [itex]t=0[/itex], [itex]\mathbf{r_c}=\left[\begin{array}{ccc}a\\0\end{array}\right][/itex]. I know there are other, probably better ways of solving this problem by finding components of velocity, but I wanted to try and solve it this way.

I don't have time to look at this now, so maybe someone else will chime in. A possible way out is to get rid of the unit vector in your DE, since that's where the bottleneck is.

Related to Solving a differential equation with a unit vector in it

1. What is a unit vector?

A unit vector is a vector with a magnitude of 1 and is used to indicate direction in a specific coordinate system. It is often denoted with a hat symbol on top (e.g. ).

2. How is a unit vector used in solving a differential equation?

A unit vector can be used to represent a specific direction in a differential equation, such as the direction of a velocity or acceleration vector. It can also be used to simplify calculations and represent a normalized version of a vector.

3. Can a unit vector be used in all types of differential equations?

Yes, a unit vector can be used in all types of differential equations, including ordinary differential equations, partial differential equations, and vector differential equations. It is a commonly used tool in mathematical modeling and problem-solving.

4. How do you incorporate a unit vector into a differential equation?

To incorporate a unit vector into a differential equation, you can substitute the unit vector for any direction or vector in the equation. You can also represent a vector as a combination of unit vectors, such as in polar or spherical coordinate systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using unit vectors in differential equations?

There are no inherent limitations to using unit vectors in differential equations. However, it is important to accurately define the coordinate system and direction represented by the unit vector to avoid errors in calculations.