Solving a Differential Equation by Separation of Variables

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a given differential equation using separation of variables. The process involves factoring the left and right hand sides, integrating, and simplifying the resulting answer. The expert recommends using a different textbook for better explanations and understanding of the subject.
MidgetDwarf
Solve the given differential equation by separation of variables.

(dy/dx)= (xy+3x-y-3)/(xy-2x+4y-8)

First, I noticed when i divided both sides by the left hand side and multiplied both sides by dx, nothing canceled or seemed to work.

I got to thinking.

on the right hand side I preformed long division.

i divided xy+3x-y-3 by xy-2x+4y-8.

I get 1 + (5x-5y+5)/(xy-2x+4y-8)

(dy/dx)= 1 + (5x-5y+5)/(xy-2x+4y-8)

I am stuck here. Any help is welcomed and appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think a better approach is beginning instead by factoring the RHS. From there it should be clear how to solve via separation of variables.

Likes MidgetDwarf
Tallus Bryne said:
I think a better approach is beginning instead by factoring the RHS. From there it should be clear how to solve via separation of variables.

wow, i over thought this problem. thanks a lot.

factoring the left hand side.

(y+3)(x-1)/(y-2)(x+4)

Left hand side= (y-2)/(y+3)dy

right hand side=(x-1)/(x+4)dx

then I integrate. the process is kind of lengthy, requiring trivial integration.

the answer is (x+4)^5=c(e^x)(e^-y)(y+3)^5.

I can't take you enough.

MidgetDwarf said:
the answer is (x+4)^5=c(e^x)(e^-y)(y+3)^5.

That looks like a correct implicit soln; you can also tidy up the RHS of your answer a little by applying some rules of exponents:
\begin{equation} e^{x}e^{-y} = e^{x-y} \end{equation}

Tallus Bryne said:
That looks like a correct implicit soln; you can also tidy up the RHS of your answer a little by applying some rules of exponents:
\begin{equation} e^{x}e^{-y} = e^{x-y} \end{equation}

yes, you are correct. thanks a lot.

Do you recommended a an intro ode book?

we are using zill in our class, and it is a bit to chatty. The graphics make the layout of the book a little hard to read in my opinion and he is too loose ( doesn't really use mathematical language) in his explanations.

MidgetDwarf said:
Do you recommended a an intro ode book?

I wouldn't be able to help you there. I also used a text co-authored by Zill when I took differential ('Differential Equations with Boundary-Value Problems' by Zill and Cullen 7ed.) when I took differential.
I saw a text by Ross recommended in the thread "How to self-[URL='https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/self-study-basic-high-school-mathematics/']study mathematics?[/URL]" However, I haven't ever had the opportunity to see what it's like myself.

Related to Solving a Differential Equation by Separation of Variables

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates an unknown function to its derivatives. It is used to model many natural phenomena in physics, engineering, and other fields.

What is the difference between an ordinary and a partial differential equation?

An ordinary differential equation involves a single independent variable, while a partial differential equation involves multiple independent variables. In other words, an ordinary differential equation deals with functions of one variable, while a partial differential equation deals with functions of multiple variables.

What are the methods for solving a differential equation?

There are several methods for solving a differential equation, including separation of variables, substitution, integrating factors, and power series. The method used depends on the type of differential equation and its characteristics.

What is the role of initial conditions in solving a differential equation?

Initial conditions are the values of the dependent variable and its derivatives at a specific point or time. They are used to determine a unique solution for a differential equation, as the solution must satisfy both the equation and the initial conditions.

What are some real-life applications of differential equations?

Differential equations are used to model various phenomena in the natural world, such as population growth, chemical reactions, heat transfer, and fluid dynamics. They are also used in engineering to design and analyze systems and in economics to model financial markets.