Solving a Circle Problem: Finding Radius and Center | Math Forum Help

• Thread starter picklepie159
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circle
In summary, the conversation is about a question involving finding the radius and center of a circle. The equation is manipulated by dividing by 3 and completing the square to get it into the standard form (x-h)^2+(y-k)^2 = r^2. The standard form is (x+2)^2 + (y - 5/6)^2 = 193/36 and the radius can be found by taking the square root of 193/36.
picklepie159
Hi, Math forums!
I need some help with a circle question.

3x^2 + 12x + 3y^2 - 5y = 2
And I was supposed to find the radius and center of the circle, So I first divided by 3:

x^2 +4x + y^2 - 5/3y = 2/3
And then I complete the square

x^2 + 4x + 4 + y^2 - 5/3y + 25/36 = 2/3 + 12/3 + 25/36 = 193/36

so then

(x+2)^2 + (y - 5/6)^2 = 193/36

and I don't know how I can get the standard (x-h)^2 - (y-k)^2 format from this.
Can anyone please help me? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a circle, so the standard equation should be [tex](x-h)^2+(y-k)^2 = r^2[/tex].

picklepie159 said:
(x+2)^2 + (y - 5/6)^2 = 193/36

That is in the standard form for a circle, is it not? Just take the square root of 193/36 to get the radius...

Related to Solving a Circle Problem: Finding Radius and Center | Math Forum Help

1. What is the "Just a circle problem"?

The "Just a circle problem" is a mathematical puzzle that involves finding the area of a circle with a given radius, without using the formula for calculating the area (A=πr^2).

2. How do you solve the "Just a circle problem"?

The "Just a circle problem" can be solved by breaking the circle into smaller, known shapes, such as triangles or rectangles, and then using basic geometry formulas to find the area of each shape. These areas can then be added together to get the total area of the circle.

3. What is the purpose of the "Just a circle problem"?

The "Just a circle problem" is often used as a brain teaser or a critical thinking exercise to test a person's ability to think outside of the box and use creative problem-solving skills.

4. Are there any real-life applications for the "Just a circle problem"?

While the "Just a circle problem" may not have direct real-life applications, the problem-solving techniques used to solve it can be applied to other mathematical and scientific problems.

5. Is there only one solution to the "Just a circle problem"?

No, there are multiple ways to solve the "Just a circle problem" depending on the approach and techniques used. However, the final answer should always be the same - the area of the circle with the given radius.