Solving a Cart Losing Mass Problem

• Thread starter LondonLady
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cart Mass
In summary, the conversation discussed the problem of a cart losing sand at a certain rate while being pulled by a horizontal force. The goal was to find the differential equation for the rate of change of the cart's velocity. Two different approaches were suggested, one using momentum and the other using the cart's mass and the applied force. The question of whether the initial mass included the sand was clarified.
LondonLady
Hi I have this problem involving a cart which is losing sand

It says:

A cart with initial mass [tex]M[/tex] and a load of sand [tex]\frac{1}{2}M[/tex] loses sand at the rate [tex]k[/tex] kg/s. The cart is pulled horizontally by a force [tex]F[/tex]. Find the differential equation for the rate of change of the carts velocity in terms of [tex]k,M[/tex] and [tex]F[/tex] while there is sand in the cart.

So i said that at [tex]t = 0[/tex] the momentum[tex] = \frac{3}{2}Mv[/tex]. Therefore

[tex]\displaystyle{dp = \left(\frac{3}{2}Mv\right) - \left[\left(\frac{3}{2}M - dM\right)\left(v + dv\right) - vdM\right]}[/tex]

Simplifying

[tex]\displaystyle{dp = -\frac{3}{2}Mdv + 2vdM[/tex]

Dividing by [tex]dt[/tex]

[tex]\displaystyle{\frac{dp}{dt} = -\frac{3}{2}M\frac{dv}{dt} + 2v\frac{dM}{dt}}[/tex]

As [tex]\displaystyle{\frac{dM}{dt} = -k}[/tex]

[tex]\displaystyle{\frac{dv}{dt} = -\frac{4}{3M}vk - \frac{2F}{3M}}[/tex]

Im confused because of the very negative right hand side of the equation. Did i make an error in the set up at the start?

Thankyou in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
I hesitate to put this forth since I do so poorly at this type of problem; I hope this doesn't confuse the issue but I took a different approach -- it seems too easy even though I can't see the flaw

M(t) = 1.5*M - kt

a(t) = F/M(t)

v(t + dt) = v(t) + a(t)dt

thus

v'(t) = a(t)

integrate and you get a log expression:

[log(1.5M) - log(1.5M - kt)]*F/k

This gives sane answers in Excel.

When you say 'initial mass M' does that include the load of sand? donjennix's approach looks OK to me (but then again, I'm no physics god so...). Using momentum, we have

dp/dt = d/dt (mv)

and since m and v are functions of time, then

dp/dt = mdv/dt + vdm/dt.

Rearranging gives

dv/dt = 1/m(dp/dt - vdm/dt)

Since F is producing the change in momentum, we can substitute it for dp/dt. dm/dt is just k so

dv/dt = 1/m(F - vk)

As a said, I'm not physics guru so let's see what others say.

e(ho0n3 said:
dv/dt = 1/m(F - vk)

And don't forget that m= 1.5*M - kt or something similar

Last edited:
No the initial mass M does not include the mass of the sand. Thankyou very much for your comments, I will have a thorough read of them now.

Related to Solving a Cart Losing Mass Problem

1. How does mass affect the motion of a cart?

The mass of an object affects its inertia, which is the resistance to changes in motion. In simpler terms, the more mass an object has, the harder it is to change its speed or direction.

2. How does losing mass impact the motion of a cart?

If a cart is losing mass, it will also be losing inertia. This means that the cart will be easier to accelerate and change direction. As a result, the cart's motion will become faster and more erratic.

3. What factors can cause a cart to lose mass?

There are several factors that can cause a cart to lose mass, including friction, air resistance, and collisions with other objects. Additionally, if the cart contains a substance that can evaporate or melt, it may also lose mass over time.

4. How can we solve a cart losing mass problem?

To solve a cart losing mass problem, we need to first identify the cause of the mass loss. If it is due to friction or air resistance, we can try to reduce these forces by using smoother surfaces or streamlining the cart. If the mass loss is due to collisions, we can try to minimize these interactions by adjusting the path or speed of the cart.

5. Can we prevent a cart from losing mass?

In most cases, it is difficult to completely prevent a cart from losing mass as there will always be some external forces acting on it. However, we can try to minimize the mass loss by designing the cart with more durable materials and reducing its exposure to factors that can cause mass loss.