Solving a Bessel Function DE in Electromagnetism | Cylindrical Coordinates

In summary, the author has a problem with electromagnetism giving a DE that looks something like a Lapacian or a Bessel function. It derives from cylindrical coordinates. They are told that it can be solved using a separation of variables ansatz and that the general solution is a linear combination of the Bessel function of the first kind and the Bessel function of the second kind.
Phrak
I have a problem in electromagnetism giving a DE that looks something like a Lapacian or a Bessel function, I'm told. It derives from cylindrical coordinates.

[tex].\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \left( \partial_{r} ^2 + \frac{1}{r}\partial_{r} - \frac{1}{r^2}\right)E = \frac{1}{c^2}\partial_{t}^2 E\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ E=E(r,t) \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ .[/tex]

I don't know where to start. A series solution would be OK too.

Physics news on Phys.org
well you can start by doing separation of variables ansatz.

Assume a solution of the form [itex]E(r,t) = R(r)T(t)[/itex] and plug that into the DE. Then, separate all terms that depend on r from all terms that depend on t on opposite sides of the equal sign. The two sides have to be equal to a constant, since if you vary r on one side, then in order for it to be equal to all the terms that depend on T on the other side, t would have to change unless both sides were constant.

You thus get two sepearte ODEs, one for R(r) and one for T(t), which you can then solve. The T one should be easy, and the R one probably gives you a bessel function solution.

and from the time part of the function, you will see what sign your separation constant must be in order to fulfill the BC's of the time part.

Thank you both.

My equation derives from

[tex]\partial_{r} \frac{1}{r} \partial_{r} \left( rE \right) = \frac{1}{c^2} \partial_{t} ^2 E[/tex]

After some internet research, it looks a lot like the Laplacian in cylindrical coordinates which is

[tex] \frac{1}{r} \partial_{r} \left( r\partial_{r} E \right) = 0 [/tex]

The general solution to this one is a linear combination of the Bessel function of the first kind and the Bessel function of the second kind.

For E(r,t) to be separable as R(r)T(t) there can't be solutions having terms such as (kx-wt), right? However, the first approximation is separable as

[tex] E= E_{0} \frac{r_{0}}{r}exp(iwt) [/tex], where I included some boundry conditions.

Any hints for what I need to do next?

Last edited:
After flailing about I noticed I could do a variable replacement [tex]\ y=rE}[/tex].

Does this look at all familiar to anyone, in whole or part??

[tex]. \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \frac{\partial ^2 y}{\partial r^2}-\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial y}{\partial r}= \frac{1}{c^2}\frac{\partial ^2 y}{\partial t^2}[/tex]

The boundry condition is [tex]y=y_{0}\ exp(i \omega t)[/tex]

prove
J-n(x) = (-1)nJn(x);

Related to Solving a Bessel Function DE in Electromagnetism | Cylindrical Coordinates

1. What is a Bessel function and why is it important in electromagnetism?

A Bessel function is a mathematical function that describes oscillatory phenomena, such as waves and vibrations. In electromagnetism, it is used to describe the electric and magnetic fields in cylindrical coordinate systems. Bessel functions are important because they provide a solution to differential equations that arise in many physical systems, including electromagnetism.

2. How is a Bessel function DE solved in cylindrical coordinates?

The Bessel function DE in cylindrical coordinates is solved by using separation of variables and applying appropriate boundary conditions. This involves expressing the variables in terms of Bessel functions and then solving for the coefficients using the boundary conditions.

3. What are the applications of solving a Bessel function DE in electromagnetism?

Solving a Bessel function DE in electromagnetism has various applications, including in the study of electromagnetic waves in cylindrical waveguides, the behavior of magnetic fields around cylindrical objects, and the scattering of electromagnetic waves by cylindrical structures.

4. Are there any challenges in solving a Bessel function DE in electromagnetism?

Yes, there are some challenges in solving a Bessel function DE in electromagnetism. One of the main challenges is finding the appropriate boundary conditions, as they can be complex and depend on the specific problem being solved. Additionally, the solutions to Bessel function DEs can involve infinite series, making the calculations lengthy and tedious.

5. How is the solution to a Bessel function DE verified?

The solution to a Bessel function DE can be verified by substituting it back into the original equation and checking if it satisfies the boundary conditions. Additionally, numerical methods can be used to compare the solution to the results obtained from experimental data.