Solving a 2nd Order Differential Equation with Initial Conditions

In summary, the homework statement is trying to solve for y using the form y=x+1 and integrating with respect to x. However, the individual is lost and doesn't understand how to do the integral.
robertjordan

Homework Statement

[itex]\frac{d^2 y}{dx^2}\cdot\frac{dy}{dx}=x(x+1), \hspace{10pt} y(0)=1, \hspace{5pt} y'(0)=2[/itex]

Homework Equations

None I can think of...

The Attempt at a Solution

The only thing I even thought to try was turn it into the form:
[itex]\frac{d^2 y}{dx^2}{dy}=x(x+1){dx}[/itex]
...and then it looks kind of like a separable equation?

I'm lost.

Physics news on Phys.org

Try setting [itex]w=dy/dx[/itex]

That simplifies the equation to:
[itex]{w}\frac{dw}{dx}=x(x+1)[/itex]

Integrating both sides with respect to x gives:

[itex]\int{w}\frac{dw}{dx}dx=\int{x(x+1)}dx[/itex]
[itex]\frac{w^2}{2}=\frac{(\frac{dy}{dx})^2}{2}=\frac{x^3}{3}+\frac{x^2}{2}+C[/itex]

Now what? Am I on the right track?

Last edited:

[tex]wdw=(x^2+x)dx[/tex]
From here, you merely have to integrate both sides. You can utilize your initial conditions to determine a value for the constant of integration.Edit: Yes, you are on the right track. Solve for C, then I am assuming you want to solve for y, however, you never really stated what is being asked.

How can we use y(0)=1? Do we say:
[itex]\int_{x_o}^{0}wdx+C_2=1[/itex]?

You don't need to use that condition. [itex][[y'(0)]^2/2=[x]^3/3+[x]^2/2+c_1[/itex] since [itex]y'=w[/itex]. Make sense? Can you take it from here?

Last edited:

sandy.bridge said:
You don't need to use that condition. [itex][[y'(0)]^2/2=[x(0)]^3/3+[x(0)]^2/2+c_1[/itex] since [itex]y'=w[/itex]. Make sense? Can you take it from here?

I don't understand why you said x(0)? I thought x was the independent variable? So why wouldn't it be:
[itex]\frac{y'(0)^2}{2}=\frac{2^2}{2}=2=\frac{0^3}{3}+ \frac{0^2}{2}+c_1[/itex]

... which means c1=2?

But I still don't get how that helps me find y?

that would just change the equation we want to solve to:

[itex]\frac{{[\frac{dy}{dx}]^2}}{2}=\frac{x^3}{3}+\frac{x^2}{2}+2[/itex]

But I still don't see how to find y from that. :(

Last edited:

You are right, that was a typo on my part. Get [itex]dy/dx[/itex] by itself. What is the relationship between y and y'?

sandy.bridge said:
You are right, that was a typo on my part. Get [itex]dy/dx[/itex] by itself. What is the relationship between y and y'?

So multiply both sides by 2 and then take the square root? Getting:

[itex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\sqrt{\frac{2x^3}{3}+ x^2+4}[/itex]

And then integrate with respect to x...

I don't know how to do that integral, and wolframalpha couldn't do it either. (http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integrate+sqrt%282x^3%2F3%2Bx^2%2B4%29+with+respect+to+x)

Sorry to drag this out so long but I just don't get it!

You don't have to necessarily evaluate the integral. You can change the integral to a definite integral; there will be an upper limit and a lower limit. You will change the variable of the integrand from x to some other variable. I can't integrate that either, so that is what I would do. If I missed something, I'm sure someone will jump in.

ie. [tex]\int{}\frac{e^{at^2}}{t^2}dt=\int_{s_0}^{s}\frac{e^{as^2}}{s^2}ds[/tex]

Last edited:

sandy.bridge said:
You don't have to necessarily evaluate the integral. You can change the integral to a definite integral; there will be an upper limit and a lower limit. You will change the variable of the integrand from x to some other variable. I can't integrate that either, so that is what I would do. If I missed something, I'm sure someone will jump in.

[itex]y(x)=\int_{x_o}^{x}\sqrt{\frac{2u^3}{3}+ u^2+4}du+C_2[/itex]
So
[itex]y(0)=\int_{x_o}^{0}\sqrt{\frac{2u^3}{3}+ u^2+4}du+C_2 = 1[/itex]
Choose xo=0, so
[itex]y(0)=\int_{0}^{0}\sqrt{\frac{2u^3}{3}+ u^2+4}du+C_2 = 0+C_2=1[/itex]
So C2=1, So the final answer is...

[itex]y(x)=\int_{0}^{x}\sqrt{\frac{2u^3}{3}+ u^2+4}du+1[/itex]

Is that right?

Related to Solving a 2nd Order Differential Equation with Initial Conditions

What is a 2nd order differential equation with initial conditions?

A 2nd order differential equation with initial conditions is an equation that involves a function and its second derivative. The initial conditions refer to the values of the function and its derivative at a specific point, usually denoted as x=0.

Why is it important to solve 2nd order differential equations with initial conditions?

Solving these types of equations allows us to understand and model many physical phenomena, such as motion, oscillations, and electrical circuits. It also helps us make predictions about the behavior of systems and find optimal solutions to problems.

What are the steps involved in solving a 2nd order differential equation with initial conditions?

The first step is to identify the type of differential equation (homogeneous, non-homogeneous, or exact) and make any necessary transformations to simplify it. Next, we use the initial conditions to find the constants of integration. Then, we solve for the general solution and apply the initial conditions to find the specific solution. Finally, we check our solution by plugging it back into the original equation.

What methods can be used to solve 2nd order differential equations with initial conditions?

There are several methods for solving these types of equations, including separation of variables, variation of parameters, and the method of undetermined coefficients. The most appropriate method depends on the type of equation and its initial conditions.

What are some real-world applications of solving 2nd order differential equations with initial conditions?

Some examples of real-world applications include modeling the motion of a pendulum, predicting the growth of a population, and analyzing the behavior of an electrical circuit. These equations are also commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics.