Solving 57x+4y=2: Diophantine Equation Homework

• Thread starter rayman123
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Euclidean algorithm to solve equations and find the greatest common divisor. The example of solving 37x + 32y = 1 is used to explain the algorithm, and the final result is a linear combination of the original equation. The conversation also mentions some confusion about finding a particular solution using the algorithm.
rayman123

Homework Statement

Solve [tex]57x+4y=2[/tex]

Homework Equations

I use the equation [tex]57x+4y=1[/tex] find
[tex]gcd(57,4)[/tex] as follows
[tex]57=14\cdot 4+1[/tex] then [tex]gcd(57,4)=1[/tex] and
[tex]1=57-4\cdot 14[/tex] so the particular solution to my first equation is
[tex]x_{0}=2[/tex]*and [tex]y_{0}=-28[/tex]
Wolfram says it is correct but I am not sure if the Euclidean algorithm is computed correctly

If for example I have now
[tex]37x+32y=3[/tex]
is the computation of gcd(37,32) correct?
[tex]37=32\cdot 1+5[/tex]
[tex]32=5\cdot 6+2[/tex]
[tex]5=2\cdot 2+1[/tex]
but now I don't know how to find the linear combination of these...to obtain the particular solution. Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Rayman. The Euclidean algorithm is essentially just the iterative application of [itex]\gcd(a,b) = \gcd(b,a \mod b)[/itex] (for [itex]a \geq b[/itex]), but with the modulo operation tracked as a series of row operations. It's easiest to explain by way of your example.

Say we want to solve [itex]37x + 32y = 1[/itex].

Write it like a matrix as in,
Code:
1   0     37
0   1     32
where this represents 1x + 0y = 37, and 0x + 1y = 32.

Now we calculate the modulo part as a row operation, row1 - 1*row2, which gives,
Code:
1   0     37
0   1     32
1  -1     5

BTW. I'm going to be lazy here and just keep referring to row1 and row2 as the most recent two rows ok.

Again calculate the modulo part as a row operation, row1 - 6*row2, which gives,
Code:
 0    1     32
 1   -1     5
-6    7     2

Again calculate the modulo part as a row operation, row1 - 2*row2, which gives,
Code:
 1    -1      5
-6     7      2
13   -15      1

So finally, just using a series of row operations we have deduced that [itex]13 \times 37 - 15 \times 32 = 1[/itex]

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes chwala

Related to Solving 57x+4y=2: Diophantine Equation Homework

1. How do you solve a Diophantine equation?

Diophantine equations are solved by finding integer solutions to a system of equations. This can be done using a variety of methods, such as substitution, elimination, or graphing.

2. What is the purpose of solving 57x+4y=2?

The purpose of solving this Diophantine equation is to find integer values of x and y that satisfy the equation. This can be useful in solving real-world problems or for mathematical research.

3. What is the difference between Diophantine equations and regular equations?

Diophantine equations involve finding integer solutions, while regular equations typically involve finding real number solutions. Diophantine equations are also often used in the study of number theory, while regular equations are used in a variety of mathematical fields.

4. Is there a specific method for solving Diophantine equations?

There is no one specific method for solving Diophantine equations, as the approach may vary depending on the specific equation and its complexity. Some common methods include using modular arithmetic, the Euclidean algorithm, or factoring techniques.

5. What are some real-world applications of Diophantine equations?

Diophantine equations have many applications in fields such as cryptography, physics, and computer science. They are also used in solving problems related to currency exchange rates, scheduling, and resource allocation.