Solving 4sin3(x)=5sin(x) in [0,2╥)

• Thread starter MacLaddy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses an equation involving trigonometric identities and the attempt at solving it using various methods. It is determined that there are no real solutions to the equation, and the concept of extraneous roots is discussed.
MacLaddy
Gold Member

Homework Statement

4sin3(x)=5sin(x)

In the interval [0,2╥)

Homework Equations

Lot's and lot's of trig identities.

The Attempt at a Solution

4sin3(x)=5sin(x)
4sin3(x)-5sin(x)=0
sinx(4sin2(x)-5)=0

Setting sin(x)=0 gives me the solutions of 0, and ╥, but trying the other part
4sin2(x)-5=0
sin2(x)=5/4
sin(x)=√5/2

This answer does not work at all for this solution, as my calculator just gives me constant errors when trying to find the inverse. I'm sure I'm going wrong somewhere on this.

Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
MacLaddy said:

The Attempt at a Solution

4sin3(x)=5sin(x)
4sin3(x)-5sin(x)=0
sinx(4sin2(x)-5)=0

Setting sin(x)=0 gives me the solutions of 0, and ╥, but trying the other part

This is correct.

MacLaddy said:
4sin2(x)-5=0
sin2(x)=5/4
sin(x)=√5/2

This answer does not work at all for this solution, as my calculator just gives me constant errors when trying to find the inverse. I'm sure I'm going wrong somewhere on this.

Any help is appreciated.

Right so you have something like

sin(x)= 1.(something)

If you look at the graph of y=sin(x), you will see that -1≤sin(x)≤1

so your equation of sin(x) = √5/2 will lead to no real solutions.

So if I understand you correctly, the other answers are extraneous, and only 0 and ╥ satisfy the equation?

Thank you for your help, I've been puzzling over this one for a couple of hours trying to figure that out.

I wouldn't use the term "extraneous" since that refers to roots of an equation produced while trying to solve an original equation, that do not satisfy that original equation.

Here, there simply are no real numbers satisfying [itex]sin^2(x)= 5/4[/itex] because sine is always between -1 and 1.

That's exactly the same situation as if you were trying to solve [itex]x^3+ x= 0[/itex]. [itex]x^3+ x= x(x^2+ 1)= 0[/itex] so either x= 0 or [itex]x^2= -1[/itex]. There is no real number satisfying the second equation.

Related to Solving 4sin3(x)=5sin(x) in [0,2╥)

1. What does the equation 4sin3(x)=5sin(x) represent?

This equation represents the relationship between the sine function and angle x, where the values on either side of the equation are equal.

2. How can this equation be solved?

This equation can be solved using algebraic techniques such as factoring, expanding, or using trigonometric identities.

3. What is the domain of this equation?

The domain of this equation is the range of values for angle x that make the equation solvable. In this case, it is the interval [0, 2╥] since angle x must be between 0 and 2╥ radians for the equation to be solvable.

4. Are there any special cases or restrictions when solving this equation?

Yes, there are a few special cases to consider when solving this equation. First, since sine is an odd function, the equation is equivalent to -4sin3(x)=-5sin(x). Additionally, there may be extraneous solutions when using certain algebraic techniques, so it is important to check for these and eliminate them.

5. What are the possible solutions to this equation?

The possible solutions to this equation are the values of x that make the equation true. Depending on the method used to solve the equation, there may be multiple solutions or a range of values for x. It is also possible that there are no solutions in the given domain.