Solving 3j Symbols Problem to Show Total Angular Momentum is 0

• Thread starter dingo_d
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Symbols
In summary, the state |\Psi\rangle has total angular momentum equal to zero due to the commutation relations for angular momentum operators and the independent action of the total angular momentum operator on each particle.
dingo_d

Homework Statement

Show that the state:

[itex]|\Psi\rangle=\sum\limits_{m_1\ m_2\ m_3}\begin{pmatrix}
j_1 & j_2 & j_3 \\
m_1 & m_2 & m_3 \\
\end{pmatrix}|j_1\ m_1\rangle |j_2\ m_2\rangle |j_3\ m_3\rangle[/itex]

has the total angular momentum equal to zero.

Homework Equations

There are bunch of formulas for Clebsch - Gordan coefficients and Wigner 3j symbols, but that can be found everywhere.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have absolutely no idea how to start this one :\

I could write explicitly the 3j symbols, but then what?

EDIT: I found in Landau & Lifgarbagez, that this is what you should get for system of 3 particles with total angular momentum 0, but how do I prove that? They left that part out...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your post. To show that the state |\Psi\rangle has total angular momentum equal to zero, we can use the fact that the total angular momentum operator, denoted by \hat{J}, is given by the sum of the individual angular momentum operators for each particle, denoted by \hat{J_1}, \hat{J_2}, and \hat{J_3}:

\hat{J} = \hat{J_1} + \hat{J_2} + \hat{J_3}

We can then use the commutation relations for angular momentum operators to show that the total angular momentum operator commutes with the state |\Psi\rangle:

[\hat{J}, |\Psi\rangle] = [\hat{J_1} + \hat{J_2} + \hat{J_3}, |\Psi\rangle] = [\hat{J_1}, |\Psi\rangle] + [\hat{J_2}, |\Psi\rangle] + [\hat{J_3}, |\Psi\rangle] = 0

This means that the state |\Psi\rangle is an eigenstate of the total angular momentum operator with eigenvalue 0. Therefore, the state has total angular momentum equal to zero.

To further understand why this is the case, we can look at the explicit form of the state |\Psi\rangle and see that it is a superposition of states with different angular momentum projections for each particle. Since the total angular momentum operator is a vector operator, it acts on each particle independently and does not change the relative magnitudes of the individual angular momenta. This means that the state |\Psi\rangle has the same angular momentum projection for each particle, resulting in a total angular momentum of zero.

I hope this helps to clarify the solution. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Solving 3j Symbols Problem to Show Total Angular Momentum is 0

What is the 3j symbol problem?

The 3j symbol problem is a mathematical problem in quantum mechanics that involves calculating the coefficients of the Clebsch-Gordan series, which describes the coupling of angular momenta in a quantum system.

Why is it important to solve the 3j symbol problem?

Solving the 3j symbol problem is important because it allows us to accurately predict the properties of quantum systems and understand the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.

What is the significance of showing that the total angular momentum is 0?

Showing that the total angular momentum is 0 is significant because it indicates that the system is in a state of maximum symmetry and is thus easier to analyze and understand.

What are some common methods for solving the 3j symbol problem?

Some common methods for solving the 3j symbol problem include the Racah algebra, the Wigner-Eckart theorem, and the graphical method.

How does solving the 3j symbol problem contribute to the field of quantum mechanics?

Solving the 3j symbol problem contributes to the field of quantum mechanics by providing a better understanding of the behavior of particles and allowing for more accurate predictions of their properties, which is crucial for advancements in areas such as materials science, nuclear physics, and quantum computing.