Solve x + y = Relatively Prime: Need Help

• Thread starter 1+1=1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Direction
In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that x and y are relatively prime. The suggested method is to set one variable equal to k and substitute it into the other formula. Another suggestion is to use the definition of divisibility and linear combinations to show that the only common factor of x and y is 1. This approach is clarified with an example and ultimately leads to the conclusion that x and y are indeed relatively prime. The conversation ends with gratitude towards the participants for their help.
1+1=1
i need some help here. i need to show that x=2k+1 and y=9k+4. i need to show that x and y are relatively prime. i am thinking of setting one = to k, and then substitiuting that into the otehr formula. any other suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
y-4x=k

hence d:=(x,y)|k

but d|x=2k+1 => d|1

What matt means is the following (in case it needs clarification) :

Assume there is some number, d that divides y and x.

Then d should also divide any linear combination of y and x, in particular y-4x.

But since y-4x = k, this means that d divides k. So d should also divide 2k.

But since x=2k+1, d also divides 2k+1

The last two statements say that d divides 2k and 2k+1, which means that d should divide 1.

So, the only number that divides both x and y is 1.

o my that makes so much sense now. i was just setting one = to a k and then substitiuting it in the other. thank you both!

Related to Solve x + y = Relatively Prime: Need Help

1. What does "x + y = Relatively Prime" mean?

"Relatively Prime" means that the greatest common divisor (GCD) of x and y is 1, meaning they have no common factors other than 1. In other words, x and y are not divisible by any of the same numbers (except for 1).

2. How do I solve this equation?

To solve this equation, you need to find a pair of numbers that have a GCD of 1. This can be done by trial and error or by using a method such as Euclid's algorithm. Once you have a pair of numbers that satisfy this condition, you can plug them in for x and y to make the equation true.

3. What are some examples of numbers that are relatively prime?

Some examples of numbers that are relatively prime include 7 and 12, 15 and 16, and 25 and 26. These pairs of numbers have a GCD of 1 and do not share any common factors other than 1.

4. Can x and y be any type of number?

Yes, x and y can be any type of number, including integers, fractions, decimals, or even complex numbers. As long as their GCD is 1, they can be considered relatively prime.

5. Why is it important to find numbers that are relatively prime?

Finding numbers that are relatively prime is important in many mathematical applications, such as cryptography, number theory, and computer science. It can also be useful in simplifying fractions and solving certain types of equations. Additionally, it is a fundamental concept in mathematics and can help deepen understanding of number theory and prime numbers.