Solve Wave Optics Laser Homework: Find Slit Width w/ Helium-Neon Laser

In summary: So, you have the full screen width, but you only want half of that. You could calculate the distance to the first fringe, then the second, etc. But it's easier to recognize that the distances are multiples of the "distance to first fringe", which is the full screen width divided by the number of fringes.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a helium-neon laser illuminating a single slit and calculating the width of the slit based on the distance between the first and second minima in the diffraction pattern. The conversation then moves on to another problem involving a diffraction grating and calculating the number of bright fringes on a screen located behind the grating. The solution to both problems involves
talaroue

Homework Statement

I have a few questions because of the fact I just don't understand any of this...

1.A helium-neon laser (l=656 nm) illuminates a single slit and is observed on a screen 1.9 m behind the slit. The distance between the first and second minima in the diffraction pattern is 5.45 mm. What is the width (in mm) of the slit?

w=2*(wavelength)*L/a

wavelength= 656 x 10^-9 m
L=1.9 m
a=5.45 x 10^-3 m

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged and chugged and got 4.574 x 10^-4...what did i do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
5.45 mm is the distance between the first and second minima. How far would it be between the central maximum and the second minimum? That's the distance you need in the equation (as you have it).

how do you find that, or how would you appoarch this?

The distance from the central max to the first min is the same as the distance from the first min to the second min. You can do the math from here.

so is it 22.87 mm?

opps I moved the decimal the wrong place .2287 mm

Instead of starting a new post I thought that you could just help me on this forum...

A 578 line/mm diffraction grating is illuminated by light of wavelength 599 nm. How many bright fringes are seen on a 2.73-m-wide screen located 3 m behind the grating

L=3 m
Ym=2.73
Lamda= 599 x 10^-9
solving for m?

How do I do this without theata?

You have a 2.73 m wide viewing screen. The fringes diffract in both directions from the central "zeroth" order fringe ("bright spot"). There will be two first order fringes, one on each side of the zeroth, two 2nd order fringes, etc.

You don't need theta just as you didn't need theta in the earlier problem. It's the same dang formula used for single slit, double slit, and grating solutions. WHere you had "w" for width of the single slit, you now use the distance between the lines (inverse of # of lines per meter).

We assume that you aim the central "zeroth" max at the center of the viewing screen. Which order will be on the edge(s)?

Is it second order then?

This is how I tried solving this...

d= 1/(578x10^-3)
wavelength=599x10^-9
Ym=2.73
L=3
m=? what we are solving for

m=Ym*d/(wavelength*L)

talaroue said:
Is it second order then?

This is how I tried solving this...

d= 1/(578x10^-3)
wavelength=599x10^-9
Ym=2.73
L=3
m=? what we are solving for

m=Ym*d/(wavelength*L)

Except that the full screen is 2.73m wide. The distance from the central maximum to the "mth" order fringe will be half of that, since there is an mth order fringe to both sides of the center.

Oh got it, it is starting to make since. Do you always have to divide the distance?

Not necessarily. You need to remember that the distance involved is from the center of the pattern to the "mth" fringe to either side of the center.

Related to Solve Wave Optics Laser Homework: Find Slit Width w/ Helium-Neon Laser

1. What is wave optics?

Wave optics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of the behavior of light as a wave. It involves the study of how light propagates, interferes, and diffracts through different media and objects.

2. What is a Helium-Neon laser?

A Helium-Neon laser is a type of gas laser that produces a red-colored laser beam. It consists of a mixture of helium and neon gas contained in a glass tube. When an electric current is passed through the gas, it produces a beam of coherent light with a wavelength of 632.8 nm.

3. How do you solve for the slit width in wave optics using a Helium-Neon laser?

To solve for the slit width in wave optics using a Helium-Neon laser, you can use the formula: w = (mλL)/d. Here, w is the slit width, m is the order of the diffraction pattern, λ is the wavelength of the laser, L is the distance between the slit and the screen, and d is the distance between the two slits.

4. What factors affect the diffraction pattern produced by a Helium-Neon laser passing through a slit?

The diffraction pattern produced by a Helium-Neon laser passing through a slit is affected by several factors such as the wavelength of the laser, the width of the slit, the distance between the slit and the screen, and the distance between the two slits (if there are multiple slits). Additionally, the properties of the medium through which the laser is passing, such as its refractive index, can also affect the diffraction pattern.

5. How is wave optics used in real-world applications?

Wave optics has numerous real-world applications, including the development of optical instruments such as telescopes, microscopes, and cameras. It is also used in the design of optical systems for communication and information processing, such as fiber optic cables and laser technologies. Additionally, wave optics plays a crucial role in the study of optics in biology and medicine, such as in the development of techniques for non-invasive imaging and laser surgery.