Solve Volume of Circle Rotated Around X-axis: Group Take Home

In summary, the student's take home problem was to find the volume of a torus, and they got different answers based on how they solved it. One person thought bisecting the torus at y=5 would give them the correct answer, but actually the inner volume would be less than the outer volume. Another person realized that the volume of the inner part would be less than the outer part as it travels less distance to complete the full rotation.
Pull and Twist
I am working on a take home with a group of students and we all got different answers for this problem... can anyone look over it and tell me where I am going wrong?? Let me know if any of my work is confusing...

View attachment 3971

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 57
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the solid is a torus, and so we know its volume is:

\(\displaystyle V=\pi(2)^2(2\pi(5))=40\pi^2\)

You may wish to look at this thread:

https://mathhelpboards.com/threads/roisins-question-at-yahoo-answers-regarding-the-volume-of-a-torus.7992/

Last edited:
MarkFL said:
Well, the solid is a torus, and so we know its volume is:

\(\displaystyle V=\pi(2)^2(2\pi(5))=40\pi^2\)

You may wish to look at this thread:

http://mathhelpboards.com/questions-other-sites-52/roisins-question-yahoo-answers-regarding-volume-torus-7992.html?highlight=torus

I looked at that link and I'm confused as to how you incorporate the fact that the circle is centered at (0,5). I'm not really following the setup in that link.

PullandTwist said:
I am working on a take home with a group of students and we all got different answers for this problem... can anyone look over it and tell me where I am going wrong?? Let me know if any of my work is confusing...

The whole circle has equation $\displaystyle \begin{align*} x^2 + \left( y - 5 \right) ^2 = 4 \end{align*}$, so if we use washers, the inner radius is $\displaystyle \begin{align*} y = 5 - \sqrt{4 - x^2} \end{align*}$ and the outer radius is $\displaystyle \begin{align*} y = 5 + \sqrt{4 - x^2} \end{align*}$, so the volume is

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} V &= \pi \int_{-2}^2{ \left( 5 + \sqrt{4 - x^2} \right) ^2 - \left( 5 - \sqrt{4 - x^2 } \right) ^2 \,\mathrm{d}x } \\ &= 2\pi \int_0^2{ \left( 5 + \sqrt{4 - x^2} \right) ^2 - \left( 5 - \sqrt{4 - x^2} \right) ^2 \, \mathrm{d}x } \\ &= 2\pi \int_0^2{ \left[ \left( 5 + \sqrt{4 - x^2} \right) - \left( 5 - \sqrt{4 - x^2} \right) \right] \left[ \left( 5 + \sqrt{ 4 - x^2} \right) + \left( 5 - \sqrt{4 - x^2} \right) \right] \,\mathrm{d}x } \\ &= 2\pi \int_0^2{ 20\,\sqrt{4 - x^2} \,\mathrm{d}x } \\ &= 40\pi \int_0^2{ \sqrt{ 4 - x^2} \,\mathrm{d}x } \end{align*}$

Now with the substitution $\displaystyle \begin{align*} x = 2\sin{(t)} \implies \mathrm{d}x = 2\cos{(t)}\,\mathrm{d}t \end{align*}$ and noting that when $\displaystyle \begin{align*} x = 0, t = 0 \end{align*}$ and when $\displaystyle \begin{align*} x = 2, t = \frac{\pi}{2} \end{align*}$, the integral becomes

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} 40\pi \int_0^2{\sqrt{4 - x^2}\,\mathrm{d}x} &= 40\pi \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}{ \sqrt{4 - \left[ 2\sin{(t)} \right] ^2 }\,2\cos{(t)}\,\mathrm{d}t} \\ &= 40\pi \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}{\sqrt{4 - 4\sin^2{(t)}}\, 2\cos{(t)}\,\mathrm{d}t} \\ &= 40\pi \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}{ 2\cos{(t)} \, 2\cos{(t)}\,\mathrm{d}t } \\ &= 160\pi \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}{ \cos^2{(t)}\,\mathrm{d}t } \\ &= 160\pi \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}{\frac{1}{2} \left[ 1 + \cos{(2t)} \right] \,\mathrm{d}t} \\ &= 80\pi \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}{1 + \cos{(2t)}\,\mathrm{d}t} \\ &= 80\pi \left[ t + \frac{1}{2}\sin{(2t)} \right]_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \\ &= 80\pi \left[ \left( \frac{\pi}{2} + 0 \right) - \left( 0 + 0 \right) \right] \\ &= 80\pi \left( \frac{\pi}{2} \right) \\ &= 40 \pi ^2 \end{align*}$

PullandTwist said:
I looked at that link and I'm confused as to how you incorporate the fact that the circle is centered at (0,5). I'm not really following the setup in that link.

That problem is in more general terms, and is rotated about the $y$-axis instead, but the method would be essentially the same. :D

Thank you guys. That helped me immensely.

After thinking about it I realized where I was going wrong. I was thinking that I could bisect the torus at y=5 and solve for half the volume and then double it.

I finally realized that the volume of the inner part would actually be less then that of the outer part as it travels less distance to complete the full rotation. I had to imagine cutting a doughnut to visualize it.

Related to Solve Volume of Circle Rotated Around X-axis: Group Take Home

1. What is the formula for finding the volume of a circle rotated around the x-axis?

The formula for finding the volume of a circle rotated around the x-axis is V = πr2h, where r is the radius of the circle and h is the height of the cylinder formed by the rotation.

2. How do I solve for the radius if I know the volume and height of the cylinder?

To solve for the radius, you can rearrange the formula as r = √(V/πh), where V is the volume and h is the height. Plug in the known values and solve using a calculator or algebraic steps.

3. Can I use this formula to find the volume of any shape rotated around the x-axis?

No, this formula only applies to circles. To find the volume of other shapes rotated around the x-axis, you will need to use different formulas specific to those shapes.

4. What are the units for volume when solving for a circle rotated around the x-axis?

The units for volume will depend on the units used for the radius and height. For example, if the radius is measured in meters and the height in centimeters, the volume will be in cubic meters times centimeters (m3cm).

5. Can the volume of a circle rotated around the x-axis ever be negative?

No, the volume of a circle rotated around the x-axis will always be a positive value. Negative volume does not have any physical meaning in this context.