Solve Vertical Circles: Force, Velocity, Acceleration, Mass, Reaction

In summary, the conversation involves a student seeking help with a physics problem involving a marble on a smooth, hemispherical bowl. The student is trying to find the speed and normal reaction of the bowl at a certain point, but keeps getting the wrong answer. After some discussion and correction of a mistake in the diagram, the student is able to solve the problem.
RJWills

Homework Statement

F=Force, v=Velocity, a=acceleration m=mass (0.01kg) R=Normal Reaction to surface

Hi, can anyone help, I keep getting the wrong answer on this question and it is really annoying me. Here is a picture of the diagram:

q7.jpg

"A Marble of mass 0.01kg is on top of a smooth hemispherical bowl and given an initial speed of 1 m/s. The bowl has a radius of 0.5m and centre o.
a) The marble descends 0.1m, find the speed. got this part correct and figured out that v^2=1+0.2g

b) "Find the normal reaction of the bowl at this point"

Homework Equations

I have a solution for Velocity^2=1+0.2g

The Attempt at a Solution

So I have v^2=1+0.2g, now trying to resolve in the direction of R using F=ma I got:
R-0.01gcos(alpha)=m x (v^2/r)
=>R=0.01x(1+0.2g/0.5)
Now, trying to find alpha I thought of the height raise as 0.4m and the radius 0.5 to create a right angled triangle, getting cos(alpha)=0.4/0.5, and subsequently alpha to equal 36.86... deg.

When I sub this is my value that I get for R=0.1376, however in the book it says it should = 0.0192.

I have tried re doing it from scratch twice, faffing about with different bits and I just cannot get it right :/

Physics news on Phys.org
RJWills said:
So I have v^2=1+0.2g, now trying to resolve in the direction of R using F=ma I got:
R-0.01gcos(alpha)=m x (v^2/r)
This looks OK.
=>R=0.01x(1+0.2g/0.5)
What happened to the 0.01gcos(alpha) term? (But it looks like you include that term in your calculation.)
Now, trying to find alpha I thought of the height raise as 0.4m and the radius 0.5 to create a right angled triangle, getting cos(alpha)=0.4/0.5, and subsequently alpha to equal 36.86... deg.
OK.

When I sub this is my value that I get for R=0.1376, however in the book it says it should = 0.0192.
I get the same answer that you do.

Ah... Here's the problem: The marble's rolling down the inside of a concave bowl. Your diagram is not correct.

Doc Al said:
This looks OK.

What happened to the 0.01gcos(alpha) term? (But it looks like you include that term in your calculation.)

I get the same answer that you do.

Ah... Here's the problem: The marble's rolling down the inside of a concave bowl. Your diagram is not correct.

As you say, I have included it in my working, i just miss typed what I have written on paper.
The diagram is included in the textbook question. Still really confused and I cannot see how to solve this.

Edit: HURRAY SOLVED IT! I was thinking of it as R-0.01g= xyz where as it should be 0.01g-R!

RJWills said:
As you say, I have included it in my working, i just miss typed what I have written on paper.
Good.
The diagram is included in the textbook question. Still really confused and I cannot see how to solve this.
Yes, my bad. I was making the same mistake as you! :redface:

You have the direction of the acceleration and the reaction force wrong.

RJWills said:
Edit: HURRAY SOLVED IT! I was thinking of it as R-0.01g= xyz where as it should be 0.01g-R!
Yay! Sorry for not spotting that earlier. :rolleyes:

Related to Solve Vertical Circles: Force, Velocity, Acceleration, Mass, Reaction

1. What is a vertical circle and how does it differ from a horizontal circle?

A vertical circle is a circular motion in which the object or particle moves in a vertical plane. This is different from a horizontal circle, where the motion is in a horizontal plane. In a vertical circle, the forces acting on the object change as it moves through different points in the circle, while in a horizontal circle the forces remain constant.

2. What is the relationship between force and velocity in a vertical circle?

In a vertical circle, the force acting on the object is responsible for its change in velocity. As the object moves through different points in the circle, the direction of the force changes, resulting in changes in velocity. This relationship is described by Newton's second law of motion, which states that force is equal to mass multiplied by acceleration.

3. How does the mass of an object affect its motion in a vertical circle?

The mass of an object does not affect its motion in a vertical circle, as long as the object remains at a constant distance from the center of the circle. However, a heavier object will require a greater force to maintain its motion in the circle, while a lighter object will require a smaller force.

4. What is the reaction force in a vertical circle?

The reaction force in a vertical circle is the force that acts in the opposite direction to the centripetal force, which is the force that keeps the object moving in a circular motion. The reaction force is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the centripetal force, and it is responsible for keeping the object in equilibrium.

5. How can we calculate the acceleration of an object in a vertical circle?

The acceleration of an object in a vertical circle can be calculated using the formula a = v^2/r, where a is the acceleration, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circle. This formula is derived from the centripetal force equation, F = mv^2/r, where F is the force, m is the mass, and v is the velocity.