Solve Uncertainty of Pi: Volume of Cylinder

In summary, the value of pi is an infinitely long decimal number, but your calculator's approximation of it is precise enough to be considered exact for practical purposes. Therefore, pi does not have any uncertainty and can be used without causing any significant errors in calculations.
rejz55
[SOLVED] uncertainty of pi?

does pi have any uncertainty? I am trying to solve the volume of a right circular cylinder with h=2.3±0.1 and radius 0.12±0.05m..i cannot continue cause i do not know if pi has an uncertainty..thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
No, it does not.

rejz55 said:
does pi have any uncertainty? I am trying to solve the volume of a right circular cylinder with h=2.3±0.1 and radius 0.12±0.05m..i cannot continue cause i do not know if pi has an uncertainty..thanks

pi has no uncertainty, but it is an infinitely long decimal number, so your calculator doesn't store the actual exact value of pi. but your caculator's value of pi does have enough digits that the error in pi can be ignored.

I.e., just calculate the uncertainty from the uncertainty in 'h' and the uncertainty in 'r'.

Numerical constants never have uncertainty. Pi, e, 2, 2.75, sqrt(5), etc. are all exact numbers.

rejz55 said:

nicksauce said:
Numerical constants never have uncertainty. Pi, e, 2, 2.75, sqrt(5), etc. are all exact numbers.

rejz55, if there is conflation of exactness or uncertainty of the value of [itex]\pi[/itex] vs. its not being a rational number, it is true that there are no pair of exact integers, N and D so that

[tex] \pi = \frac{N}{D} [/tex]

but whatever the tolerance of "error" you give me (we'll call this tolerance [itex]\epsilon[/itex]), it is true that one can always find a pair of integers for N and D so that the above is true within that level of tolerance. for whatever [itex]\epsilon>0[/itex] that you (or the devil) tosses at us, we can always find a rational number (a ratio of integers, N/D) that is "within [itex]\epsilon[/itex] of" [itex]\pi[/itex]:

[tex] \left| \pi - \frac{N}{D} \right| < \epsilon [/tex]

or

[tex] \frac{N}{D} - \epsilon < \pi < \frac{N}{D} + \epsilon [/tex]

where

[tex]\epsilon > 0[/tex]

no matter how tiny [itex]\epsilon[/itex] gets (as long as it remains bigger than zero).

thanks guys!

Related to Solve Uncertainty of Pi: Volume of Cylinder

What is the uncertainty of pi?

The uncertainty of pi refers to the degree of error or imprecision in the value of pi, which is approximately 3.14159. This uncertainty arises from the fact that pi is an irrational number and cannot be represented accurately by a finite number of digits.

How does uncertainty affect the volume of a cylinder?

Uncertainty in pi can affect the volume of a cylinder because pi is used in the formula for calculating the volume of a cylinder, V = πr²h. If the value of pi used in this formula is incorrect or imprecise, it can result in a less accurate calculation of the volume.

How can the uncertainty of pi be solved?

The uncertainty of pi can be solved by using a more precise value of pi in the formula for calculating the volume of a cylinder. This can be done by using a larger number of digits for pi or by using a more accurate approximation of pi, such as 22/7 or 3.141592653589793.

What are some methods for reducing uncertainty in pi?

One method for reducing uncertainty in pi is to use a more precise measuring tool, such as a caliper, when measuring the dimensions of the cylinder. Another method is to use a larger number of digits for pi in the calculation. Additionally, using a more accurate approximation of pi, such as 22/7 or 3.141592653589793, can also help reduce uncertainty.

How does the uncertainty of pi impact scientific research?

The uncertainty of pi can have a significant impact on scientific research, especially in fields that rely heavily on precise calculations and measurements, such as physics and engineering. It can lead to inaccurate results and conclusions if not properly accounted for. Therefore, it is important for scientists to be aware of and address the uncertainty of pi in their research.