Solve Trig Identities: Match Function to Answer

In summary, the conversation discusses using trig identities to match a trigonometric function with a given set of options. The solution involves multiplying and dividing, and ultimately simplifying to sin(x) through the use of reciprocal and Pythagorean identities.
Cephalopod
Hi, I'm confused about using trig identities.

Homework Statement

Match the trigonometric function with one of the following: (a) -1, (b) cos(x), (c) cotx (d) 1, (e) -tan(x), (f) sin(x)

(1-cos^2x)(cscx)

Homework Equations

None that I know of.

The Attempt at a Solution

I multiply it through, which gives me:

csc(x) - cos^2(x)(cscx)

I divide out csc(x) which gives me:

csc(x)(1 - cos^2(x)(1))

(got me nowhere really)

edit: I just realized that I can do

1-cos^2(x)=sin^2(x)

edit2: am I wrong in thinking that since cosecant is the reciprocal of sine, that in csc(sin^2x) one sine cancels out, leaving me with sin(x)?

I might of just solved my own problem :P can anybody confirm? Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that looks right. Good job.

My first thought with something like that would be to write everything in terms of sine and cosine. Here csc(x)= 1/sin(x) so that problem is (1- cos2(x)/sin(x)= 1/sin(x)- cos2(x)/sin(x). But cos2(x)= 1- sin2(x) so that second fraction is (1- sin2(x))/sin(x)= 1/sin(x)- sin(x).
1/sin(x)- cos2(x)/sin(x)= 1/sin(x)- 1/sin(x)+ sin(x)= sin(x), just as you say.

Related to Solve Trig Identities: Match Function to Answer

1. How do I identify the function in a trigonometric identity?

To identify the function in a trigonometric identity, look for the trigonometric ratios (sine, cosine, tangent, cotangent, secant, cosecant) and their corresponding variables (x, y, θ). These functions are usually represented by the first letter of their name (i.e. sin for sine, cos for cosine, tan for tangent, etc.).

2. What is the purpose of solving trigonometric identities?

Solving trigonometric identities helps to simplify complex expressions and equations involving trigonometric functions. It also allows us to prove mathematical relationships and solve real-world problems involving angles and sides of triangles.

3. What are some common trigonometric identities that I should know?

Some common trigonometric identities include the Pythagorean identities (sin²x + cos²x = 1 and tan²x + 1 = sec²x), the reciprocal identities (sinx = 1/cscx, cosx = 1/secx, tanx = 1/cotx), and the quotient identities (tanx = sinx/cosx, cotx = cosx/sinx).

4. How do I approach solving trigonometric identities?

There are several methods for solving trigonometric identities, but the most common approach is to manipulate the given expression using algebraic techniques such as factoring, simplifying, and using trigonometric identities. It is also important to remember to only use valid trigonometric identities and to check your work by substituting values for the variables.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve trigonometric identities?

While a calculator can be a helpful tool, it is important to have a strong understanding of trigonometric identities and how to solve them manually. Calculators may not always provide the most simplified form of an expression, and it is important to know how to check your work and verify the solution is correct.