Solve Triangle Height without Trig - Help for Kids

In summary, the person's daughter was unable to solve a problem in an exam and was not given the solution. She knows how to solve it using trigonometry, but has not been taught it yet. She is seeking an alternative method to solve the problem without trigonometry. Two possible solutions are suggested: using the formula for the area of a triangle and using similarity. The value of h is determined to be 4.8 in both methods.
ter27
View attachment 1801 My daughter was given this problem in an exam. She could not do it and was never given the solution. I can do the problem using trig but she has not been taught trig yet. She says that it can be done without trig using a more simple method that she doesn't know. Could somebody please explain how it could be done without using trig. It would be most appreciated :confused:
View attachment 1802

Attachments

• text.png
    text.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 60
  • triangle.png
    triangle.png
    5.3 KB · Views: 65
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello.

Lo that I think simplest is:

[tex]area=\dfrac{6*8}{2}=24[/tex]

By placing the right triangle to another position.

Then:

[tex]24=\dfrac{10*h}{2}[/tex]

[tex]h=4.8[/tex]

Regards.

Another method would be to use similarity.

\(\displaystyle \frac{h}{6}=\frac{8}{10}\)

\(\displaystyle h=\frac{48}{10}=4.8\)

or

\(\displaystyle \frac{h}{8}=\frac{6}{10}\)

\(\displaystyle h=\frac{48}{10}=4.8\)

Related to Solve Triangle Height without Trig - Help for Kids

1. How do I find the height of a triangle without using trigonometry?

To find the height of a triangle without using trigonometry, you can use the formula h = 2A/b, where h is the height, A is the area of the triangle, and b is the length of the base. This formula is known as the "area formula" and can be used for any type of triangle, regardless of its shape or size.

2. Can I use this method for any triangle?

Yes, the formula for finding the height of a triangle without using trigonometry can be used for any type of triangle, including equilateral, isosceles, and scalene triangles. Just make sure you have the correct values for the area and base length of the triangle.

3. How accurate is this method compared to using trigonometry?

The accuracy of this method depends on the accuracy of the measurements used to calculate the area and base length of the triangle. If the measurements are precise, the calculated height will be accurate. However, using trigonometry may provide a more precise answer in some cases.

4. Is this method easier for kids to understand?

Yes, this method is often easier for kids to understand because it does not involve complicated equations or concepts. It uses a simple formula that can be easily applied to any triangle, making it a more accessible method for young learners.

5. Can I use this method to solve for other unknowns in a triangle?

No, this method can only be used to find the height of a triangle. It cannot be used to solve for other unknowns such as angles or side lengths. For those, you will need to use trigonometry or other methods such as the Pythagorean theorem.