Solve the following differential equation

In summary, the given problem involves solving a Bernoulli's equation by distributing x^2 and dividing by y^2. The substitution of w = 1/y is used in order to simplify the equation. Multiplying by -1 allows for the use of the integrating factor Mu(x) = e^(integral(x^3)), but further integration results in 3 terms on the right side, indicating a mistake in the original equation. The error is found to be a negative sign before the x^2 term.
fsujoseph

Homework Statement

Solve the differential equation. -x2(dy/dx) + xy = x2y2 * sin(x)

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

I first figured out that this was a Bernoulli's equation. I distributed the x2 to make it simpler. From there I divided everything by y2 to get y-2(dy/dx) + (x3/y) = x4sin(x)

From there I let w = 1/y dw=-1/y2 dy and then multiplied through by -1 so dw would fit in.

Now I have dw/dx - wx3 = -x4sin(x)

Then I let P(x) = x3 Mu(x) = eintegral(x^3)

This gave me Mu(x) = e1/4*x^4

My problem is that when you multiply that back into the equation and get to the point where you integrate, there is 3 terms on the right side (a triple integral is what you call it?). I am unsure of how to approach it, I must have done something wrong. The sin(x) is what is different from any Bernoulli's I have done. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh wow never mind it was -x^2 not x^-2

Related to Solve the following differential equation

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves an unknown function and its derivatives. It is used to describe the relationship between a function and its rate of change.

2. How do you solve a differential equation?

To solve a differential equation, you need to find a function that satisfies the equation. This can be done through various methods such as separation of variables, substitution, or using an integrating factor.

3. What is the order of a differential equation?

The order of a differential equation is the highest order derivative present in the equation. For example, a first-order differential equation has a derivative of the first order, while a second-order differential equation has a derivative of the second order.

4. Why are differential equations important?

Differential equations are important because they are used to model real-life phenomena in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They also provide a way to predict the behavior of systems over time.

5. Are there different types of differential equations?

Yes, there are different types of differential equations, such as ordinary differential equations (ODEs) which involve only one independent variable, and partial differential equations (PDEs) which involve more than one independent variable. There are also different types of ODEs and PDEs, such as linear and nonlinear equations.