Solve Stoichiometry: 3.4 moles Aluminum Oxide from Al + O2

In summary, to form 3.4 moles of aluminum oxide, 6.8 moles of aluminum are needed based on the balanced chemical equation and the stoichiometric proportion.
Youngstarr1589
Aluminum oxide is formed from the reaction of metallic aluminum with oxygen gas. How many moles of Aluminum are needed to form 3.4 moles of Aluminum oxide?
Hint: This is a simple ratio problem. Just use the molar ratio from the balanced equation. This was covered in 5.09. Mass is not involved.

I need a lot of help with this problem... where do I start?

Physics news on Phys.org
First, it would help to write the chemical equation of the mentioned chemical reaction.

Second, balance the chemical equation.

Third, by the stoichiometric proportion, find the number of moles of alluminium that you would need to form 3.4 moles of aluminum oxide.

Hint: [tex]\frac{n_{Al}}{2} = \frac{n_{Al_2O_3}}{1}[/tex]

:approve: :-p

Ok this is what I have so far... I balanced the equation and got 4Al + O2
--> 2Al2O3 so then I did 3.4 molAl2O3 x 4mol Al = 6.8 mol Al ... is this right?

Yes, you are correct.

:approve: :-p

Related to Solve Stoichiometry: 3.4 moles Aluminum Oxide from Al + O2

1. What is stoichiometry?

Stoichiometry is the branch of chemistry that deals with the quantitative relationships and calculations between reactants and products in a chemical reaction.

2. How do you solve for stoichiometry?

To solve for stoichiometry, you need to first balance the chemical equation for the reaction. Then, using the mole ratios from the balanced equation, you can convert between moles of the given substance and the desired substance.

3. What is the formula for stoichiometry?

The formula for stoichiometry is as follows: moles of substance A (given) x mole ratio of substance B to A = moles of substance B (desired).

4. What is the mole ratio?

The mole ratio is the ratio of moles of one substance to another in a chemical reaction. It is determined by the coefficients in the balanced chemical equation.

5. How do I calculate the number of moles of a substance?

To calculate the number of moles of a substance, you can use the formula: moles = mass/molar mass. You can also use the volume of a gas at STP (standard temperature and pressure) to calculate the number of moles using the formula: moles = volume (L) x (1 mole/22.4 L).