Solve SR Particle Velocity Homework Eqns for Kinetic Energy

In summary, the equation for calculating the kinetic energy of a particle is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where KE is the kinetic energy, m is the mass of the particle, and v is the velocity of the particle. To solve for the velocity, you can rearrange the equation to v = √(2KE/m). The unit of measurement for kinetic energy is joules (J), but it can also be measured in electron volts (eV) or kilowatt-hours (kWh). The kinetic energy of a particle cannot be negative and is directly proportional to its velocity. As the velocity increases, the kinetic energy also increases, and if the velocity decreases, the kinetic energy will also decrease.
gnulinger

Homework Statement

http://i.imgur.com/VVVAl.png

Homework Equations

K = mc^2/(1 -v^2/c^2)^(1/2) - mc^2
E = ((pc)^2 + (mc^2)^2)^(1/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to find the kinetic energies of the particles in the center of mass frame. I thought that they should just be exactly half the energy released in the decay from 498MeV to 140MeV (i.e. 179MeV), but that is wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Two pions are created, not one.

Thanks. I had just been working on the problem for a while and I was stuck in a rut.

Related to Solve SR Particle Velocity Homework Eqns for Kinetic Energy

1. What is the equation for calculating the kinetic energy of a particle?

The equation for calculating the kinetic energy of a particle is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where KE is the kinetic energy, m is the mass of the particle, and v is the velocity of the particle.

2. How do you solve for the velocity of a particle using the kinetic energy equation?

To solve for the velocity of a particle, you can rearrange the kinetic energy equation to v = √(2KE/m). This will give you the velocity in meters per second (m/s).

3. What is the unit of measurement for kinetic energy?

The unit of measurement for kinetic energy is joules (J). However, in some cases, it may also be measured in electron volts (eV) or kilowatt-hours (kWh).

4. Can the kinetic energy of a particle be negative?

No, the kinetic energy of a particle cannot be negative. Kinetic energy is always a positive value, as it represents the energy an object possesses due to its motion.

5. How does the velocity of a particle affect its kinetic energy?

The kinetic energy of a particle is directly proportional to its velocity. This means that as the velocity increases, the kinetic energy also increases. If the velocity decreases, the kinetic energy will also decrease.