Solve Simple Word Problem: 100kg w/15% Moisture to 5% Dry Weight Fibers

In summary, 1600kg of water must be added to recycled paper to create a solution that is 5% by dry weight fibers.
yoleven

Homework Statement

When paper is recycled, water is added to break the paper up into its original wood fibers. If 100 kg of paper with a moisture content of 15% is to be recycled, how much water (kg) must be added to the recycled paper to create a solution that is 5% by dry weight fibers?

Homework Equations

100kg at 15% moisture is 6.6kg water and 85% dry is 93.4 kg fibers
I want 95% moisture and 5% dry

The Attempt at a Solution

6.6kg+x=95kg
x=88.4 kg of water.
Is it that simple or have i missed something?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's see. You have 93.4 kg fibers. To get a 5% solution, you would need X kg water. Since you already have 6.6 kg, you would have to add (X-6.6) kg water. Does that come out to be 88.4 kg?

How did you arrive at 15% of 100 kg is 6.6 kg and 85% of 100 kg is 93.4 kg?

Sorry. Obvious mistake. 100kg at 15% moisture give 15 kg moisture and 85 kg solid. I had originally divided 100kg by 15.
If I take my original solid mass of 85kg and add x amount of water, since I have 15kg of water already, its (x-15kg) I need to get a solution that is 5% or .05 water or 95% solid, so.
85kg+(x-15kg)=95kg
x=25

It seems I am missing something. If everything that goes in must equal everything that goes out I don't think I am accounting for the added water in my final mass of 95kg solid.

Last edited:
Okay, you already have 15 kg of water and you add x kg of water. No, you don't "need" x- 15. You now HAVE x+ 15 kg. of water. You still have 85 kg of solid so you know have a total of x+ 15+ 85= x+ 100 kg total. The percentage of that that is water is (x+ 15)/x+ 100= 0.05.

(If you wanted to add enough water to make a total of x kg of water, then you have to add x- 15 kg. But you said x is the amount of water you add (which is what the question asked), not the total amount of water.)

First, thank you. I am not trying to be difficult, I am really trying to understand this.
I tried the question again. I drew a diagram like this..

100kg
A(w).15==> (re- )==>.05(s) C
(s).85==> (cycler)==>.95(w)​
^
^​
B

1.Now I have a water(w) balance of...
.15(100)+B=.95C

2.I have a solid(s) balance of...
.85(100)=.05C

From equation 2, I get C=1700.
Substituting 1700 into equation 1, I get B=1600

From the question, 1600Kg of water must be added to the recycled paper to create a solution that is 5% fibers.
Does that look reasonable or am I really out to lunch?

Related to Solve Simple Word Problem: 100kg w/15% Moisture to 5% Dry Weight Fibers

1. How do you calculate the dry weight fibers from a given weight with moisture content?

The formula for calculating dry weight fibers is: Dry Weight Fibers = (100kg x (100% - 15%)) / (100% - 5%) = (100kg x 85%) / 95% = 85kg / 95% = 89.47kg

2. What does the percentage of moisture content represent in this problem?

The percentage of moisture content represents the amount of water present in the given weight of fibers. In this problem, it is given that the fibers have a moisture content of 15%, meaning that 15% of the weight of the fibers is water and the remaining 85% is the weight of the actual fibers.

3. How does changing the moisture content affect the final dry weight of the fibers?

The higher the moisture content, the lower the final dry weight of the fibers will be. This is because a higher percentage of the initial weight is made up of water, which will be removed when calculating the dry weight. Conversely, a lower moisture content will result in a higher final dry weight.

4. Can this formula be applied to different weights and moisture content percentages?

Yes, this formula can be applied to any given weight and moisture content percentage as long as they are in the same units. For example, if the weight is given in grams instead of kilograms, the final result will also be in grams.

5. How is this type of word problem relevant to scientific research?

Measuring and calculating the dry weight of a substance is important in many scientific fields, including agriculture, food science, and environmental science. This type of word problem simulates real-life scenarios where researchers need to determine the actual weight of a substance without the interference of moisture. It also helps to understand the composition and properties of a substance, which can aid in further research and experimentation.