Solve second order ode with Green function

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the Green's function for a problem involving a linear differential operator. The Green's function is defined as a function that satisfies certain boundary conditions and allows for the solution of the problem to be expressed in terms of integrals. The conversation also includes a detailed explanation of how to find the Green's function and ultimately provides the solution to the problem.
the king
I had made a post in the past about the same problem and unfortunately I wasn't clear enough
so I am trying again.

I am studying an article and there I found without any proof that the solution of:
Let ##g \in \mathbb{C}## and let ##u:(0,\infty)\to \mathbb{C}##
$$ -u''+\lambda^2u=f\,\, on \,(0,\infty);\quad u(0)=g,\quad \lim_{x\to\infty}u(x)=0,$$
is given by using a Green's function and it is the following:

For $$z\in (0,\infty),$$
##u(z)=\frac{1}{2\lambda^2}\Bigl(e^{-\lambda z}\int_{0}^{\lambda z}e^yf(y/\lambda)dy+e^{\lambda z}\int_{\lambda z}^{\infty}e^{-y}f(y/\lambda)dy-
e^{-\lambda z}\int_{0}^{\infty}e^{-y}f(y/\lambda)dy\Bigr)+ge^{-\lambda z}.##

I would be very grateful if someone explain me how can green's function be find for this problem, because I am interested to find a respectively solution for the problem,

$$ -u''+\lambda^2u'=f\,\, on \,(0,\infty);\quad u(0)=g,\quad \lim_{x\to\infty}u(x)=0.$$

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you not have the definition of the "Green's function"? That's really all you need.

The Green's function for linear differential operator L(f), on [itex](0, \infty)[/itex] is the function G(x,t) such that
L(G(x,t))= 0 for every t.
G(x,t) is continuous for all x, t.
The derivative of G(x, t), with respect to x, is continuous for x< t and continuous for x> t but has a step discontinuity of 1 at x= t.
G(0, t)= 0 and [itex]\lim_{x\to\infty} G(x, t)= 0[/itex].

Okay, [itex]-G''+ \lambda G= 0[/itex] so that [itex]G(x, t)= A(t)e^{\lambda x}+n B(t)e^{-\lambda x}[/itex] for x< t, and [itex]G(x, t)= C(T)e^{\lambda x}+ D(t)e^{-\lambda x}[/itex] for x> t.
(We can, without loss of generality, assume that [itex]\lambda\ge 0[/itex].)

Obviously, x= 0< t so [itex]G(0, t)= A(t)+ B(t)= 0[/itex]: [itex]G(x, t)= A(t)(e^{\lambda x}- e^{-\lambda x}[/itex] for x< t.

Obviously, [itex]x= \infty> t[/itex] so [itex]\lim_{x\to\infty} G(x,t)= \lim_{x\to\infty} (C(t)e^{\lambda x}+ D(t)e^{-\lambda t}[/itex]. And [itex]e^{\lambda x}[/itex] will go to infinity so we must have C(t)= 0 for all t: [itex]G(x, t)= D(t)e^{-\lambda x}[/itex] for x> t.

The fact that the function must be continuous at x= t means that we must have
[itex]A(t)(e^{\lambda t}- e^{-\lambda t}= D(t)e^{-\lambda t}[/itex]

The fact that the derivative, with respect to x, must have a step discontinuity at x= t means that we must have
[itex]\lambda A(t)(e^{-\lambda t}+ e^{-\lambda t})+ \lambda D(t)e^{-\lambda t}= 1[/itex]

Those last two equations allow you to solve for A(t) and D(t) as functions of t.

Ok I tried to solve it but obviously somewhere I have done a mistake.

First we need to find Green's function for the above problem.

Integration by parts:
$$
\int_{0}^\infty\bigl(-u''(z)+\lambda^2u'(z)\bigr)G(z,\zeta)d\zeta=\int_{0}^\infty-u''(z)G(z,\zeta)d\zeta+\int_{0}^\infty-u''(z)G(z,\zeta)d\zeta
$$
Now,
\begin{align*}
\int_{0}^\infty-u''(z)G(z,\zeta)d\zeta&=-u'(z)G(z)\biggr|_0^\infty-\int_{0}^\infty-u'(z)G_z(z,\zeta)d\zeta\\
&=-u'(z)G(z)\biggr|_0^\infty+u(z)G_z(z)\biggr|_0^\infty-\int_{0}^\infty-G_{zz}(z,\zeta)d\zeta,
\end{align*}
and
\begin{align*}
\int_{0}^\infty\lambda^2 u'(z)G(z,\zeta)d\zeta&=\lambda^2 u(z)G(z,\zeta)\biggr|_0^\infty+\int_{0}^\infty-\lambda^2G_z(z,\zeta)u(z)d\zeta.\\
\end{align*}
By equation (\ref{ode}) we get
\begin{align*}
\int_{0}^\infty G(z,\zeta)f(\zeta)d\zeta=-&u'(z)G(z)\biggr|_0^\infty+u(z)G_z(z)\biggr|_0^\infty +\lambda^2 u(z)G(z,\zeta)\biggr|_0^\infty\\
&+\int_{0}^\infty \bigl(-G_{zz}(z,\zeta)-\lambda^2G(z,\zeta)\bigr)d\zeta.
\end{align*}
\underline{Boundary conditions}:
$$
-u'(z)G(z,\zeta)\biggr|_0^\infty=-u'(\infty)G(\infty,\zeta)+u'(0)G(0,\zeta),
$$
so we enforce,
$$
G(0,\zeta)=G(\infty,\zeta)=0,
$$
$$
-u(z)G_z(z,\zeta)\biggr|_0^\infty=-u(\infty)G_z(\infty,\zeta)+u(0)G_z(0,\zeta)=-gG_z(0,\zeta),
$$
$$
\lambda^2 u(z)G(z,\zeta)\biggr|_0^\infty=\lambda^2 u(\infty)G(\infty,\zeta)-\lambda^2 u(0)G(0,\zeta)=-\lambda^2 gG_z(0,\zeta).
$$
Furthermore, we want
$$
\int_0^\infty \bigl(-G_{\zeta \zeta}(z,\zeta)-\lambda^2G_\zeta(z,\zeta) u(\zeta)\bigr )d\zeta=\int_0^\infty \delta(\zeta-z)u(\zeta)d\zeta=u(z)
$$
So we have
$$
\begin{cases}
G''+ \lambda^2 G'= 0,\\
G(0,\zeta)=G(\infty,\zeta)=0,
\end{cases}
$$
so, for $\mu=\lambda^2$,
\begin{equation}
G(z,\zeta)=
\begin{cases}
A(\zeta)+B(\zeta)e^{-\mu z},\quad z<\zeta\\
C(\zeta)+D(\zeta)e^{-\mu z},\quad z>\zeta\\
\end{cases}
\end{equation}
For $z=0<\zeta$, $G(0,\zeta)=A(\zeta)+B(\zeta)=0$ and for $z=\infty>\zeta, \,\lim_{z \to \infty} G(z,\zeta)=C(\zeta)+D(\zeta)e^{-\mu z}=0$, so $C(\zeta)=0$. The fact that the function must be continuous at $z=\zeta$, means that we must have $D(\zeta)=A(\zeta)(e^{\mu \zeta}-1)$.
The fact that the derivative, with respect to $z$, must have a step discontinuity at $z=\zeta$, means that we must have
$\lim_{z \to \zeta}G_z(z,\zeta)\bigr|_{z^-}^{z^+}=1,$ therefore $-\mu D(\zeta)e^{-\mu \zeta}-\mu A(\zeta)e^{-\mu \zeta}=1$ and so $A(\zeta)={-1}/{\mu}$ and $D(\zeta)=\frac{-(e^{\mu \zeta}-1)}{\mu}.$ Thus Green's function is
$$
G(z,\zeta)=\begin{cases}
\frac{-1}{\mu}(1-e^{-\mu z}),\quad 0<z<\zeta,\\
-\frac{(e^{\mu\zeta}-1)}{\mu}e^{-\mu z},\quad 0<\zeta<z,\\
\end{cases}
$$
Therefore the solution is given by:
\begin{equation}
\begin{aligned}
u(z)=\frac{-1}{\mu}\int_{0}^{z}(1-e^{-\mu \zeta})f(\zeta)d\zeta-\frac{e^{-\mu z}}{\mu}\int_{ z}^\infty (e^{\mu\zeta}-1)f(\zeta)d\zeta+ge^{-\mu z}
\end{aligned}
\end{equation}

Related to Solve second order ode with Green function

1. What is a second order ODE?

A second order ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a mathematical equation that involves a function and its first and second derivatives. It is commonly used to model physical systems in science and engineering.

2. What is the Green function method for solving second order ODEs?

The Green function method is a mathematical technique used to solve second order ODEs. It involves using the Green function, which is a solution to a homogeneous ODE, to find the particular solution to a nonhomogeneous ODE.

3. How does the Green function method work?

The Green function method works by first solving the associated homogeneous ODE to find the Green function. Then, the Green function is used to construct the particular solution to the nonhomogeneous ODE by integrating over the source term.

4. What are the advantages of using the Green function method?

The Green function method has several advantages. It allows for the solution of nonhomogeneous ODEs with arbitrary source terms, it is applicable to a wide range of boundary conditions, and it can be used to solve systems of coupled ODEs.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Green function method?

While the Green function method is a powerful tool for solving second order ODEs, it does have some limitations. It can be difficult to solve for the Green function in some cases, and it may not always provide a closed-form solution to the ODE. Additionally, it is not always applicable to higher order ODEs.