Solve Schrodinger equation for an eletron in a box. Why discrete?

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving determining the energy and wave function of an electron in motion along an axis. The solution to the problem is given by the equation En=n^2*h^2/(8*m*L^2) and \Psi(x)=({2/L})^{1/2}*Sin(n*Pi*x/L). The conversation also touches upon the concept of quantization and how it relates to the velocity and frequency of the electron. It is suggested to solve the differential equation to gain a better understanding of quantization.
tsuwal

Homework Statement

An eletron is moving along one axis between x=0 and x=L. It's mass is given by m. We want to know the energy and wave function of its possible states given by the quantic number n.

eq sch.png

Show that the solution to the above equation is

En=n^2*h^2/(8*m*L^2)

[itex]\Psi(x)=({2/L})^{1/2}*Sin(n*Pi*x/L)[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I see that it is a second order ordinary differencial equation, I should have no problem solving that. However, I can't fully grasp the quantization thing. I mean, I understand why the wavelength is quantized, because of the refletction on its walls, so the wavelength must be 2L/n. But why does the velocity and the frequency must be quanticized? For the energy to be quantized, the velocity must be quanticized and thus, both the wavelength and the frequency must be quanticized. Right? But why is the frequency quantized?

Physics news on Phys.org
Frequency and energy are related via the time-dependent Schrödinger equation: for static solutions, they are proportional to each other.

I suggest you actually solve the differential equation. The answers to your questions come out in the math.

Related to Solve Schrodinger equation for an eletron in a box. Why discrete?

What is the Schrodinger equation?

The Schrodinger equation is a mathematical formula that describes the behavior of quantum particles, such as electrons, in a given system. It was developed by Austrian physicist Erwin Schrodinger in 1926 and is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics.

Why is it important to solve the Schrodinger equation for an electron in a box?

The Schrodinger equation for an electron in a box is a simplified version of the overall equation for quantum systems. It allows scientists to analyze the properties and behavior of electrons in confined spaces, which is relevant in many areas of physics and chemistry.

What is meant by "discrete" in relation to the Schrodinger equation for an electron in a box?

"Discrete" means that the possible values for certain properties, such as energy levels, are limited and can only take on specific values. This is in contrast to the classical physics concept of "continuous", where any value within a range is possible.

Why are the energy levels of an electron in a box discrete?

The energy levels of an electron in a box are discrete because of the wave-like nature of quantum particles. The electron is confined to a specific space, and its energy is determined by the wavelength of its wave function. This leads to specific energy values rather than a continuous range.

How does solving the Schrodinger equation for an electron in a box help us understand the behavior of matter?

By solving the Schrodinger equation, scientists can determine the possible energy states and wave functions of electrons in a confined space. This information is essential for understanding the properties and behavior of matter on a microscopic scale, which is crucial in fields such as material science, nanotechnology, and quantum computing.