Solve Scale Factor Problem: 'ET Pizza' Pizzas

In summary, the problem involves finding the fair cost for a larger pizza that is similar in shape to a smaller one. The answer provided in the book is $33.75, which is calculated by taking into account the increase in volume of the larger pizza. The mistake made by the person asking the question was not considering the increase in all three spatial dimensions when calculating the cost.
tantrik
Dear friends,

I am unable to solve the following scale factor problem. Will appreciate your help here. Thanks in advance.

'ET Pizza' produces two pizzas that are similar in shape. The smaller pizza is 20 cm in diameter and costs $10. The larger pizza is 30 cm in diameter. What is a fair cost for the larger pizza?

The answer in the book is $33.75 but I am getting $15 (scale factor = 30/20=1.5; cost of larger pizza = $10*1.5 = $15). Let me know where I am mistaken.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
A pizza is a 3-dimensional object. If the 2 pizzas are similar in shape, then increasing a linear measure in the smaller by some factor $k$ will result in the volume of the larger increasing by $k^3$. And so we would find the fair price $P$ of the larger pizza to be:

\(\displaystyle P=\left(\frac{30}{20}\right)^310=\frac{135}{4}=33.75\)

You see the larger pizza, being 1.5 times larger in all 3 spatial dimensions (making it similar in shape to the smaller), has 3.375 times as much volume.

MarkFL said:
A pizza is a 3-dimensional object. If the 2 pizzas are similar in shape, then increasing a linear measure in the smaller by some factor $k$ will result in the volume of the larger increasing by $k^3$. And so we would find the fair price $P$ of the larger pizza to be:

\(\displaystyle P=\left(\frac{30}{20}\right)^310=\frac{135}{4}=33.75\)

You see the larger pizza, being 1.5 times larger in all 3 spatial dimensions (making it similar in shape to the smaller), has 3.375 times as much volume.

Thanks for the solution

Related to Solve Scale Factor Problem: 'ET Pizza' Pizzas

1. What is a scale factor?

A scale factor is a ratio that compares the size of an original object to the size of a scaled object. It is used to resize or enlarge an object while maintaining its proportions.

2. How do I solve a scale factor problem?

To solve a scale factor problem, you first need to identify the original object and the scaled object. Then, you can set up a proportion using the corresponding measurements of each object and solve for the missing value.

3. What is the "ET Pizza" problem?

The "ET Pizza" problem is a popular scale factor problem in which you are given the dimensions of a large pizza and a small pizza and asked to determine the scale factor that would resize the small pizza to be the same size as the large pizza.

4. Can I use any units of measurement for a scale factor problem?

Yes, as long as the units are consistent for both the original and scaled objects. It is important to make sure that all measurements are in the same units before setting up the proportion.

5. What are some real-world applications of scale factor problems?

Scale factor problems are commonly used in fields such as architecture, engineering, and design to resize and proportionally scale objects. They are also used in mapmaking and cartography to accurately represent the size and distance of geographic features.