Solve Rolling Staple Gun Homework Problem

• Thread starter maxwellsmooth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gun Rolling
In summary, to determine the distance between staples on an assembly line, we can take the frame of the parts and calculate the relative speed of the staple gun. By knowing the speed of the staple gun and the rate at which it fires staples, we can calculate the distance between each staple. In this case, the distance is 0.32 meters between each staple.
maxwellsmooth

Homework Statement

An assembly line has a staple gun that rolls to the left at 1.0 m/s while the parts to be stapled roll past it to the right at 3.0 m/s. The staple gun fires 10 staples per second. How far apart are the staples?

Homework Equations

I am lost but I still came up with an answer.

The Attempt at a Solution

sq rt of ((1.0 m/s)^2+(3.0m/s)^2)

I got 3.16 m/s

So because there are 10 staples per second there are 0.32 meters between each staple.

PLEASE HELP..Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure why you took the square root of the sum of two squares. I believe an easy way to do this is to take the frame of the parts. From the parts point of view, the stapler is moving past it a 4 m/s. Since you know the speed the stapler is moving and how fast the stapler shoots, you can find the distance per staple.

Related to Solve Rolling Staple Gun Homework Problem

1. How do I solve the rolling staple gun homework problem?

The first step in solving this problem is to make sure you have a clear understanding of the problem and what is being asked. Read the problem carefully and identify the given information and what is being asked to find. Then, you can begin to brainstorm potential solutions and choose the most appropriate approach.

2. What are some strategies for solving the rolling staple gun homework problem?

One strategy is to break the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts. This can help you identify any patterns or relationships that may exist and make the problem easier to solve. Another strategy is to use visual aids, such as diagrams or graphs, to help you better understand the problem and potential solutions.

3. What should I do if I get stuck while trying to solve the rolling staple gun homework problem?

If you find yourself stuck, try taking a step back and approaching the problem from a different angle. You can also try discussing the problem with a classmate or professor for a fresh perspective. It's also important to remember to stay calm and not get frustrated, as this can hinder your problem-solving abilities.

4. Can I use any formulas or equations to help me solve the rolling staple gun homework problem?

Depending on the specifics of the problem, there may be certain formulas or equations that can be useful. However, it's important to understand the concept behind the formula and use it correctly. Do not rely solely on memorized formulas, but rather make sure you understand how and when to use them.

5. How do I know if my solution to the rolling staple gun homework problem is correct?

To ensure your solution is correct, it's important to double-check your work and make sure you have answered all parts of the problem. You can also try plugging your solution back into the original problem to see if it satisfies all given conditions. If you are still unsure, you can always ask a classmate or professor for feedback.