Solve Reduction of Order Legendre Polynomials Equation

• MHB
  • Thread starter Dustinsfl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reduction
Collecting terms I get$$(1-x^2)\left(\sum_{k = 0}^{\infty}k(k-1)a_{k+2}x^{k}\right) -2\left(\sum_{k = 0}^{\infty}(k+1)ka_{k+1}x^{k}\right)(xv+(x^2-1)v') +\left(\sum_{k = 0}^{\infty}a_kx^k\right)(\lambda^2v-2xv'+(1-x^2)v'')...=0$$I think I am going to have to
Dustinsfl
Legendre polynomials
I have one solution to $(1-x^2)y''-2xy'+\lambda^2 y=0$ and that is
$$
\lambda^2a_0 - (2 - \lambda^2)xa_1 + 2a_2 + 6xa_3 + \sum_{k = 2}^{\infty}\left[a_k\left(\lambda^2 - k - k^2\right) + a_{k + 2}\left(k^2 + 3k + 2\right)\right]x^k = 0.
$$
From this equation, we can conclude $\lambda^2a_0 + 2a_2 = 0$ and $-(2 - \lambda^2)xa_1 + 6xa_3 = 0$.
Therefore,
$$
a_2 = -\frac{\lambda^2}{2}a_0\quad\text{and}\quad a_3 = \frac{2 - \lambda^2}{6}a_1.
$$
Finally, we have $a_k\left(\lambda^2 - k - k^2\right) + a_{k + 2}\left(k^2 + 3k + 2\right) = 0$, i.e.
$$
a_{k + 2} = \frac{k(k + 1) - \lambda^2}{(k + 2)(k + 1)}a_k.
$$
Use the method of reduction of order to derive the following formula for the Legendre functions of the 2nd kind:
$$
Q_n(x) = P_n(x)\int\frac{1}{[P_n(x)]^2(1 - x^2)}dx, \quad n = 0,1,2,\ldots
$$
I basically need to solve
$$
y_2 = y_1\int\frac{\exp\left(\int\frac{2x}{1-x^2}dx\right)}{y_1^2}
$$
where $y_1$ is my solution above, correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi dwsmith, :)

dwsmith said:
Legendre polynomials
I have one solution to $(1-x^2)y''-2xy'+\lambda^2 y=0$ and that is
$$
\lambda^2a_0 - (2 - \lambda^2)xa_1 + 2a_2 + 6xa_3 + \sum_{k = 2}^{\infty}\left[a_k\left(\lambda^2 - k - k^2\right) + a_{k + 2}\left(k^2 + 3k + 2\right)\right]x^k = 0.
$$

From this equation, we can conclude $\lambda^2a_0 + 2a_2 = 0$ and $-(2 - \lambda^2)xa_1 + 6xa_3 = 0$.
Therefore,
$$
a_2 = -\frac{\lambda^2}{2}a_0\quad\text{and}\quad a_3 = \frac{2 - \lambda^2}{6}a_1.
$$
Finally, we have $a_k\left(\lambda^2 - k - k^2\right) + a_{k + 2}\left(k^2 + 3k + 2\right) = 0$, i.e.
$$
a_{k + 2} = \frac{k(k + 1) - \lambda^2}{(k + 2)(k + 1)}a_k.
$$

Note that,

\[\lambda^2a_0 - (2 - \lambda^2)xa_1 + 2a_2 + 6xa_3 + \sum_{k = 2}^{\infty}\left[a_k\left(\lambda^2 - k - k^2\right) + a_{k + 2}\left(k^2 + 3k + 2\right)\right]x^k = 0\]

\[\Rightarrow \sum_{k = 0}^{\infty}\left[a_k\left(\lambda^2 - k - k^2\right) + a_{k + 2}\left(k^2 + 3k + 2\right)\right]x^k = 0\]

Therefore,

\[a_{k + 2} = \frac{k(k + 1) - \lambda^2}{(k + 2)(k + 1)}a_k\mbox{ for }k\geq 0\]

dwsmith said:
Use the method of reduction of order to derive the following formula for the Legendre functions of the 2nd kind:
$$
Q_n(x) = P_n(x)\int\frac{1}{[P_n(x)]^2(1 - x^2)}dx, \quad n = 0,1,2,\ldots
$$

You have the differential equation,

\[(1-x^2)y''-2xy'+\lambda^2 y=0\]

with the solution,

\[y_{1}(x)=P_{n}(x)\]

>>Here<< you can find an example of how to perform the method of reduction of order. Try to find the second solution \(y_{2}(x)=Q_{n}(x)\) using this method. Hope you can continue. :)

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

Sudharaka said:
>>Here<< you can find an example of how to perform the method of reduction of order. Try to find the second solution \(y_{2}(x)=Q_{n}(x)\) using this method. Hope you can continue. :)

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

I am looking through Zill's ODE book and it tells me to find the second solution using that formula I listed.

Doing $y_2 = y_1v$. I would have to take the derivative of that series twice? That is going to be bit messy I imagine.
$$
y_2 = v\sum_{k = 0}^{\infty}\left[a_k\left(\lambda^2 - k - k^2\right) + a_{k + 2}\left(k^2 + 3k + 2\right)\right]x^k
$$
$$
y_2' = v'\sum_{k = 0}^{\infty}\left[a_k\left(\lambda^2 - k - k^2\right) + a_{k + 2}\left(k^2 + 3k + 2\right)\right]x^k+
v\sum_{k = 1}^{\infty}\left[a_k\left(\lambda^2k - k^2 - k^3\right) + a_{k + 2}\left(k^3 + 3k^2 + 2k\right)\right]x^{k-1}
$$
\begin{alignat}{3}
y_2'' & = & v''\sum_{k = 0}^{\infty}\left[a_k\left(\lambda^2 - k - k^2\right) + a_{k + 2}\left(k^2 + 3k + 2\right)\right]x^k\\
& + & 2v'\sum_{k = 1}^{\infty}\left[a_k\left(\lambda^2k - k^2 - k^3\right) + a_{k + 2}\left(k^3 + 3k^2 + 2k\right)\right]x^{k-1}\\
& + \ &v\sum_{k = 2}^{\infty}\left[a_k\left(\lambda^2(k^2-k) - k^4 + k^2\right) + a_{k + 2}\left(k^4 + 2k^3 -k^2-2k\right)\right]x^{k-2}
\end{alignat}
Is there a better way to do this? I mean plugging this into the Legendre equation is going to be ridiculous.I plugged it into Mathematica and obtained
\begin{alignat}{2}
(1-x^2)\left(\sum_{k = 2}^{\infty}\left[a_k\left(\lambda^2(k^2-k) - k^4 + k^2\right) + a_{k + 2}\left(k^4 + 2k^3 -k^2-2k\right)\right]x^{k-2}\right) & -\\
2\left(\sum_{k = 1}^{\infty}\left[a_k\left(\lambda^2k - k^2 - k^3\right) + a_{k + 2}\left(k^3 + 3k^2 + 2k\right)\right]x^{k-1}\right)(xv+(x^2-1)v' & +\\
\left(\sum_{k = 0}^{\infty}\left[a_k\left(\lambda^2 - k - k^2\right) + a_{k + 2}\left(k^2 + 3k + 2\right)\right]x^k\right)(\lambda^2v-2xv'+(1-x^2)v'')& =\\
& 0
\end{alignat}
However, Paul's notes says the v parameter should be eliminated. I let Mathematica do all the work and the v parameter is still present.

Last edited:
I think you are in a confusion as to what the solution to the differential equation is. :) It should be,

\[y_{1}=P_{n}(x)=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}a_{k}x^k\mbox{ where }\lambda^2=n(n+1)\]

You will find >>this<< helpful in understanding how to solve the Legendre's differential equation using Frobenius method.

So in the method of reduction of order you have to take,

\[y_{2}(x)=v(x)\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}a_{k}x^k\]

Sudharaka said:
I think you are in a confusion as to what the solution to the differential equation is. :) It should be,

\[y_{1}=P_{n}(x)=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}a_{k}x^k\mbox{ where }\lambda^2=n(n+1)\]

You will find >>this<< helpful in understanding how to solve the Legendre's differential equation using Frobenius method.

So in the method of reduction of order you have to take,

\[y_{2}(x)=v(x)\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}a_{k}x^k\]

That is what I did original to get my first solution. Now I am looking for a second solution.

dwsmith said:
That is what I did original to get my first solution. Now I am looking for a second solution.

Making that change I still have
$$
(1-x^2)\left(\sum_{k = 2}^{\infty}k(k-1)a_kx^{k-2}\right) -
2\left(\sum_{k = 1}^{\infty}ka_kx^{k-1}\right)(xv+(x^2-1)v') +
\left(\sum_{k = 0}^{\infty}a_kx^k\right)(\lambda^2v-2xv'+(1-x^2)v'') =
$$

dwsmith said:
Making that change I still have
$$
(1-x^2)\left(\sum_{k = 2}^{\infty}k(k-1)a_kx^{k-2}\right) -
2\left(\sum_{k = 1}^{\infty}ka_kx^{k-1}\right)(xv+(x^2-1)v') +
\left(\sum_{k = 0}^{\infty}a_kx^k\right)(\lambda^2v-2xv'+(1-x^2)v'') =
$$

Simplify this and equate the coefficients of similar powers of \(x\) to zero; similar to what you have done in your first post to find the recurrence relation.

Sudharaka said:
Simplify this and equate the coefficients of similar powers of \(x\) to zero; similar to what you have done in your first post to find the recurrence relation.

\begin{align}
a_0(\lambda^2v-2v'x+v'')+a_1(v''+2v'+vx(2+\lambda^2)+a_2(2+v'x)+6a_3+\\
\sum_{n=2}^{\infty}[a_{n+2}(n^2+3n+2)+a_{n+1}2v'(n+1)+a_n(v''+v( \lambda^2 -2n)-n(n-1))+a_{n-1}2v'n+a_{n-2}v'']x^n
\end{align}

Is this correct (^)?
If so,
$$
a_2 = \frac{2v'-v''-\lambda^2v}{2+v'x}a_0
$$
and
$$
a_3=-a_1\frac{v''+2v'+vx(\lambda^2+2)}{6}.
$$

dwsmith said:
\begin{align}
a_0(\lambda^2v-2v'x+v'')+a_1(v''+2v'+vx(2+\lambda^2)+a_2(2+v'x)+6a_3+\\
\sum_{n=2}^{\infty}[a_{n+2}(n^2+3n+2)+a_{n+1}2v'(n+1)+a_n(v''+v( \lambda^2 -2n)-n(n-1))+a_{n-1}2v'n+a_{n-2}v'']x^n
\end{align}

Is this correct (^)?
If so,
$$
a_2 = \frac{2v'-v''-\lambda^2v}{2+v'x}a_0
$$
and
$$
a_3=-a_1\frac{v''+2v'+vx(\lambda^2+2)}{6}.
$$

The recurrence relations should not be dependent on \(x\). :)

Sudharaka said:
The recurrence relations should not be dependent on \(x\). :)

What? That solution is following what you said.

dwsmith said:
What? That solution is following what you said.

The recurrence relations you have obtained have \(x\) in them,

\[a_2 = \frac{2v'-v''-\lambda^2v}{2+v'{\color{red}x}}a_0\]

\[a_3=-a_1\frac{v''+2v'+v{\color{red}x}(\lambda^2+2)}{6}.\]

Anyway, thinking about this problem further I came to note that there is no need to substitute for \(P_{n}(x)\) since the answer is given in terms of \(P_{n}(x)\). So you can take,

\[y_{2}(x)=v(x)P_{n}(x)\]

and perform the reduction of order. Let me guide you through the first steps. The differential equation is,

\[(1-x^2)y''-2xy'+\lambda^2 y=0\]

We know that \(y_{1}(x)=P_{n}(x)\). Let, \(y_{2}(x)=Q_{n}(x)=v(x)P_{n}(x)\). Then,

\[(1-x^2)[v(x)P_{n}(x)]''-2x[v(x)P_{n}(x)]'+\lambda^2 v(x)P_{n}(x)=0\]

Using, \((1-x^2)P''_{n}(x)-2xP'_{n}(x)+\lambda^2 P_{n}(x)=0\) you can obtain,

\[2(1-x^2)v'(x)P'_{n}(x)+(1-x^2)v''(x)P_{n}(x)-2xv'(x)P_{n}(x)=0\]

\[\Rightarrow 2(1-x^2)v'(x)P_{n}(x) P'_{n}(x)+(1-x^2)v''(x)P_{n}^{2}(x)-2xv'(x)P_{n}^{2}(x)=0\]

\[\Rightarrow \frac{d}{dx}\left[(1-x^2)P_{n}^{2}(x)\right]v'(x)+[(1-x^2)P_{n}^{2}(x)]v''(x)=0\]

Now you should be able to solve for \(v(x)\) by separation of variables.

Last edited:
Sudharaka said:
\[\Rightarrow 2\frac{d}{dx}\left[(1-x^2)P_{n}(x)\right]v'(x)+[(1-x^2)P_{n}(x)]v''(x)=0\]

Now you should be able to solve for \(v(x)\) by separation of variables.

$$
\left[(1-x^2)P_{n}(x)\right]' = [P - x^2P]' = P' - 2xP - x^2P' = P'(1-x^2) - 2xP
$$
If I multiply 2 and v' in, we have
$$
4P'x
$$
which isn't right.

dwsmith said:
$$
\left[(1-x^2)P_{n}(x)\right]' = [P - x^2P]' = P' - 2xP - x^2P' = P'(1-x^2) - 2xP
$$
If I multiply 2 and v' in, we have
$$
4P'x
$$
which isn't right.

Sorry. There was a little error. I have edited my last post (#12). :)

Sudharaka said:
Sorry. There was a little error. I have edited my last post (#12). :)

Then we have
$$
\frac{v''}{v'} = -\frac{1}{2}\frac{[(1-x^2)P^2]'}{(1-x^2)P^2}\Rightarrow \ln v' = \frac{1}{2}\ln((1-x^2)P^2)
$$
I don't see how to go from this to the solution.

Last edited:
dwsmith said:
Then we have
$$
\frac{v''}{v'} = -\frac{1}{2}\frac{[(1-x^2)P^2]'}{(1-x^2)P^2}\Rightarrow \ln v' = \frac{1}{2}\ln((1-x^2)P^2)
$$
I don't see how to go from this to the solution.

From where did the fraction \(\frac{1}{2}\) come from? :) Continuing from post #12 we have,

\[\frac{d}{dx}\left[(1-x^2)P_{n}^{2}(x)\right]v'(x)+[(1-x^2)P_{n}^{2}(x)]v''(x)=0\]

\[\Rightarrow -\frac{v''(x)}{v'(x)}=\frac{\frac{d}{dx}\left[(1-x^2)P_{n}^{2}(x)\right]}{[(1-x^2)P_{n}^{2}(x)]}\]

Integrate both sides and we get,

\[\ln[v'(x)]=\ln\left[(1-x^2)P_{n}^{2}(x)\right]^{-1}\]

\[\Rightarrow v'(x)=\frac{1}{(1-x^2)P_{n}^{2}(x)}\]

Integrate again to obtain,

\[v(x)=\int \frac{1}{(1-x^2)P_{n}^{2}(x)}\,dx\]

\[\therefore Q_{n}(x)=v(x)P_{n}(x)=P_{n}(x)\int \frac{1}{(1-x^2)P_{n}^{2}(x)}\,dx\]

From this, how can I find $P_0(x)$?

dwsmith said:
From this, how can I find $P_0(x)$?

You have,

\[P_{n}(x)=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}a_k x^k\mbox{ where }a_{k + 2} = \frac{k(k + 1) - [n(n+1)]^2}{(k + 2)(k + 1)}a_k\]

Substitute \(n=0\) and try to obtain a solution to the recurrence relation.

Sudharaka said:
You have,

\[P_{n}(x)=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}a_k x^k\mbox{ where }a_{k + 2} = \frac{k(k + 1) - [n(n+1)]^2}{(k + 2)(k + 1)}a_k\]

Substitute \(n=0\) and try to obtain a solution to the recurrence relation.

How does one come up with $Q_0$ if $P_0$ is represented as a relation?

dwsmith said:
How does one come up with $Q_0$ if $P_0$ is represented as a relation?

Recall that,

\[Q_{n}(x)=v(x)P_{n}(x)\]

Related to Solve Reduction of Order Legendre Polynomials Equation

1. What is the reduction of order method for solving Legendre Polynomials equations?

The reduction of order method is a technique used to solve second-order differential equations by reducing them to first-order equations. This method is particularly useful for solving Legendre Polynomials equations, which are second-order differential equations commonly used in physics and engineering.

2. How does the reduction of order method work for solving Legendre Polynomials equations?

The reduction of order method works by assuming that one solution to the second-order equation is known, and then using that solution to find the second linearly independent solution. This is achieved by substituting a new variable and simplifying the equation to a first-order equation. By solving the first-order equation, the second solution can be obtained and used to find the general solution to the original second-order equation.

3. Are there any limitations to the reduction of order method for solving Legendre Polynomials equations?

Yes, there are limitations to the reduction of order method. It can only be used for linear, homogeneous, and constant coefficient differential equations. Additionally, the method may not work for all types of differential equations, and it may be difficult to find the necessary initial conditions for the second solution.

4. What are some tips for using the reduction of order method to solve Legendre Polynomials equations?

One tip is to choose a known solution that simplifies the equation or eliminates terms. Another tip is to use initial conditions to determine the constants in the second solution. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of the properties of Legendre Polynomials and how they relate to second-order differential equations.

5. How is the reduction of order method related to other methods for solving Legendre Polynomials equations?

The reduction of order method is one of several techniques that can be used to solve Legendre Polynomials equations. Other methods include power series solutions, Frobenius method, and variation of parameters method. The reduction of order method is often preferred because it simplifies the equation and reduces the problem to solving a first-order equation, making it easier to obtain the general solution.