Solve Q14: Linear Dimension Question

Please follow the homework template and provide your own attempt at a solution in the appropriate form. Thank you.
lingkky
Hello everyone .I cannot understand what Q14 is asking about. May I know how to solve Q14 shown in the pic?

Attachments

• IMG-20180520-WA0012.jpg
    IMG-20180520-WA0012.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 334
Physics news on Phys.org
The ratio of strength will be the ratio of cross-sectional areas divided by the ratio of mass (the problem says 'weight' but generally in physics it is easier to work with mass). You are told that the ants have the same shape and you can assume they are made of the same density of material. What is the ratio of the area of a triangle to a triangle that is X times bigger by linear dimension, by which we mean that each edge of the second triangle is X times the length of the corresponding edge on the first triangle?

Next imagine two cubes of granite. If the second cube has edges X times the length of those of the first cube, what is the ratio of the mass of the second to that of the first?

@lingkky, you'll have to repost this using the homework template, with an attempt at a solution.

Thread closed.

Related to Solve Q14: Linear Dimension Question

1. How do I solve a linear dimension question?

To solve a linear dimension question, you will need to use the formula distance = rate x time. First, identify the given information and assign variables to represent them. Then, plug in the values and solve for the missing variable.

2. What is the difference between linear dimensions and area/volume dimensions?

Linear dimensions refer to measurements in one direction, such as length or width. Area and volume dimensions involve two or three linear dimensions, respectively, and refer to the amount of space occupied by an object or shape.

3. Can linear dimension questions be solved using algebra?

Yes, linear dimension questions can be solved using algebraic equations. As mentioned before, assigning variables to represent the given information and using the distance formula can help solve these types of questions.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving linear dimension questions?

One common mistake is mixing up the units of measurement. Make sure to double check that all values are in the same units before plugging them into the formula. Additionally, always label your final answer with the appropriate unit.

5. How can I check my answer for a linear dimension question?

You can check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation and seeing if it balances out. You can also use estimation and common sense to make sure your answer is reasonable for the given situation.