Solve Potential Barrier Homework: Find Transmission/Reflection Coeff.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the transmission and reflection coefficients for a potential function given by V(x)=V_0 for -a≤x≤a and 0 elsewhere. The conversation also includes the use of the Schrodinger equation to solve for different values of E, with successful solutions for E=V_0 and E>V_0 but difficulty with E<V_0. The conversation includes the rearrangement of the Schrodinger equation and the application of boundary conditions, resulting in a final equation for the transmission coefficient T. The individual is unsure if their answer is correct and asks for clarification.
E92M3

Homework Statement

Find the transmission and reflection coefficients for:
[tex]V(x)=\left\{\begin{matrix}
V_0, & -a\leq x\leq a\\
0, & elsewhere
\end{matrix}\right.[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{-\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{\partial^2 }{\partial x^2}\psi+V\psi=E\psi[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have successfully got the solution for:
[tex]E=V_0[/tex]
and
[tex]E>V_0[/tex]
But I am having trouble with
[tex]E<V_0[/tex]
Here's my attempt:
First, I denoted the left of the barrier as region I, within the barrier as region II, and to the right of the barrier as region III.
Rearranging the schrodinger Equation I get:
[tex]\frac{\partial^2 }{\partial x^2}\psi_{I}=\frac{-2m}{\hbar^2}(E)\psi_{I}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial^2 }{\partial x^2}\psi_{II}=\frac{2m}{\hbar^2}(V_0-E)\psi_{II}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial^2 }{\partial x^2}\psi_{III}=\frac{-2m}{\hbar^2}(E)\psi_{III}[/tex]
The solutions are:
[tex]\psi_{I}=Ae^{ikx}+Be^{-ikx}[/tex]
[tex]\psi_{II}=Ce^{-lx}+De^{lx}[/tex]
[tex]\psi_{I}=Fe^{ikx}[/tex]
where:
[tex]k=\frac{\sqrt{2mE}}{\hbar}[/tex]
[tex]l=\frac{\sqrt{2m(V_0-E)}}{\hbar}[/tex]
The -ikx term omitted since there's assumed to be no incoming wave from +x-direction.
Applying the boundary conditions:
[tex]\psi_{I}(-a)=\psi_{II}(-a)\Rightarrow Ae^{-ika}+Be^{ika}=Ce^{la}+De^{-la} \Rightarrow (1)[/tex]

[tex]\left.\begin{matrix}
\frac{\partial \psi_{I}}{\partial x}
\end{matrix}\right|_{x=-a}=\left.\begin{matrix}
\frac{\partial \psi_{II}}{\partial x}
\end{matrix}\right|_{x=-a}\Rightarrow ik(Ae^{-ika}-Be^{ika})=l(-Ce^{la}+De^{-la})\Rightarrow (2)[/tex]

[tex]\psi_{II}(a)=\psi_{III}(a)\Rightarrow Ce^{-la}+De^{la}=Fe^{ika}\Rightarrow (3)[/tex]

[tex]\left.\begin{matrix}
\frac{\partial \psi_{II}}{\partial x}
\end{matrix}\right|_{x=a}=\left.\begin{matrix}
\frac{\partial \psi_{III}}{\partial x}
\end{matrix}\right|_{x=a}\Rightarrow l(-Ce^{-la}+De^{la})=ikFe^{ika}\Rightarrow (4)[/tex]

From (3) we have:

[tex]C=Fe^{ika}e^la-De{2la}[/tex]

Putting that into (4) we get:

[tex]D=\frac{1}{2}(1+\frac{ik}{l})Fe^{ika}e^{-la}[/tex]

From (3) we also have:

[tex]D=Fe^{ika}e^-{la}-Ce^{-2la}[/tex]

Putting that into (4) we now get:

[tex]C=\frac{1}{2}(1-\frac{ik}{l})Fe^{ika}e^{la}[/tex]

Rearranging (2) we get:

[tex] Ae^{-ika}-Be^{ika}=\frac{il}{k}(De^{-la}-Ce^{la})[/tex]

Summing the equation above with (1) we get::

[tex]2Ae^{-ika}=Ce^{la}+De^{-la}-\frac{il}{k}(De^{-la}-Ce^{la})=Ce^{la}(1+\frac{il}{k})+De^{-la}(1-\frac{il}{k})[/tex]

Now we put in the the C and D that we got from playing with (3) and (4) before and get:

[tex]2Ae^-{ika}=\frac{1}{2}(1-\frac{ik}{l})Fe^{ika}e^{la}e^{la}(1+\frac{il}{k})+\frac{1}{2}(1+\frac{ik}{l})Fe^{ika}e^{-la}e^{-la}(1-\frac{il}{k})[/tex]

[tex]2Ae^{-ika}=Fe^{ika}\left [\frac{1}{2} (1-\frac{ik}{l})(1+\frac{il}{k}) e^{2la} +\frac{1}{2} (1+\frac{ik}{l})(1-\frac{il}{k}) e^{-2la} \right ][/tex]

[tex]2Ae^{-ika}=Fe^{ika}\left [\frac{1}{2} (1+\frac{il}{k}-\frac{ik}{l}+1)e^{2la}+\frac{1}{2} (1-\frac{il}{k}+\frac{ik}{l}+1)e^{-2la} \right ][/tex]

[tex]2Ae^{-ika}=Fe^{ika}\left [\frac{1}{2} (2+ i\frac{l^2-k^2}{kl})e^{2la}+\frac{1}{2} (2-i\frac{l^2-k^2}{kl} )e^{-2la} \right ][/tex]

[tex]2Ae^{-ika}=Fe^{ika}\left [e^{2la}+ i\frac{l^2-k^2}{kl}\frac{1}{2} e^{2la}+e^{-2la} -\frac{1}{2}i\frac{l^2-k^2}{kl} e^{-2la} \right ][/tex]

[tex]2Ae^{-ika}=Fe^{ika}\left [(e^{2la}+e^{-2la})+( i\frac{l^2-k^2}{kl})(\frac{1}{2} e^{2la} -\frac{1}{2} e^{-2la} )\right ][/tex]

[tex]2Ae^{-ika}=Fe^{ika}\left [2cosh(2la)+( i\frac{l^2-k^2}{kl})sinh(2la)\right ][/tex]

[tex]F=\frac{Ae^{-2ika}}{cosh(2la)+( i\frac{l^2-k^2}{2kl})sinh(2la)}[/tex]

[tex]T=\frac{\left | F \right |^2}{\left | A \right |^2}=\frac{e^{-2ika}}{cosh(2la)+( i\frac{l^2-k^2}{2kl})sinh(2la)}\frac{e^{2ika}}{cosh(2la)-( i\frac{l^2-k^2}{2kl})sinh(2la)}[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{1}{cosh^2(2la)+( \frac{l^2-k^2}{2kl})^2sinh^2(2la)}[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{1}{1+sinh^2(2la)+\frac{1}{4}( \frac{l^2}{k^2}+\frac{k^2}{l^2}-2)sinh^2(2la)}[/tex]

I am now stuck... I can't get the sinh(2la) that I wanted. Did I do snmething wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Everything look fine to me (although you could simplify [itex]\frac{l^2}{k^2}+\frac{k^2}{l^2}[/itex] significantly)...do you know what your final answer is supposed to look like?

Last edited:

Related to Solve Potential Barrier Homework: Find Transmission/Reflection Coeff.

1. What is the potential barrier in this homework?

The potential barrier in this homework refers to a physical barrier that hinders the flow of particles or waves, such as electrons or light, through a medium. It is typically characterized by a change in the potential energy of the particles or waves as they pass through the barrier.

2. How do transmission and reflection coefficients relate to potential barriers?

The transmission and reflection coefficients are measures of how much of a particle or wave is able to pass through or reflect off of the potential barrier. These coefficients are influenced by factors such as the height and width of the barrier, as well as the energy of the particles or waves.

3. What is the formula for calculating transmission and reflection coefficients?

The formula for calculating transmission and reflection coefficients varies depending on the type of potential barrier and the type of particle or wave being considered. However, a common formula for particles with a finite energy is:

T = (4k1k2)/((k1+k2)^2) where T is the transmission coefficient, k1 and k2 are the wave numbers on either side of the barrier, and the denominator represents the total wave number.

R = ((k1-k2)^2)/((k1+k2)^2) where R is the reflection coefficient, k1 and k2 are the wave numbers on either side of the barrier, and the denominator represents the total wave number.

4. What are some applications of potential barrier homework?

Potential barrier homework has various applications in physics, particularly in the study of quantum mechanics and particle physics. It can be used to understand the behavior of electrons in semiconductors, the transmission of light through different materials, and the behavior of subatomic particles in particle accelerators.

5. Can you provide an example of a potential barrier problem and its solution?

One example of a potential barrier problem is a particle of mass m and energy E approaching a rectangular potential barrier of height V0 and width a. The wave number on either side of the barrier is given by k1 = √(2mE)/ħ and k2 = √(2m(E-V0))/ħ. Plugging these values into the equations for transmission and reflection coefficients, we get:

T = (4k1k2)/((k1+k2)^2) = 4k1k2/(k1^2+2k1k2+k2^2) = 4√(2mE)/ħ √(2m(E-V0))/ħ/(2mE+2m(E-V0)) = 4√(2mV0)/ħ(2m(E+V0)) = 4k1k2/(k1+k2)^2

R = ((k1-k2)^2)/((k1+k2)^2) = (k1^2-2k1k2+k2^2)/(k1^2+2k1k2+k2^2) = (2mE-2m(E-V0))/((2mE)^2+2m(E-V0))^2 = 4√(2mV0)/ħ(2m(E+V0)) = 4k1k2/(k1+k2)^2

Therefore, the transmission and reflection coefficients for this problem are both equal to 4√(2mV0)/ħ(2m(E+V0)).