Solve Physics Problems: Inclined Slide & Dart Gun Spring Compression

In summary, the first conversation involves calculating the coefficient of kinetic friction for a mass sliding down an inclined plane at a given speed and stopping at a certain distance. The second conversation involves finding the compression of a spring and the vertical and horizontal distances traveled by a dart fired from a dart gun. The equations used in the calculations were not correct and the possibility of friction in the first scenario was not considered. The correct equations to use are mgh+(1/2)mv^2=(1/2)kx^2 for the spring and mgh+(1/2)mv^2=(1/2)mv^2 for the dart.
Punchlinegirl
1. Mass M is sliding down the inclined part of a slide at a speed of 1.93 m/s. The mass stops a distance of S2= 2.1 m along the level part of the slide. The distance S1= 1.22 m and the angle theta= 34.70 deg. Calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction for the mass on the surface.
I used (1/2)mv^2 + mg(S1 sin theta)= FS2
(1/2)(M)(1.93^2) + M (9.8)(.694)= 2.1F
1.86M + 6.81M = 2.1 MuK M(9.8)
Canceling the M's and solving for mk gave me .421, which isn't right.

2.The potential energy stored in the compressed spring of a dart gun, with a spring constant of 28.00 N/m, is .880 J. Find by how much the spring is compressed. I got this part= .251 m. A .050 kg dart is fired straight up. Find the vertical distance the dart travels from its position when the spring is compressed to its highest position. I got this part= 1.794 m. The same dart is now fired horizontally from a height of 1.70 m. The dart remains in contact until the spring reaches its equilibrium position. Find the horizontal velocity of the dart at that time.
I used mgh + (1/2)kx^2= (1/2)mv^2
(.050)(9.8)(1.70) + (1/2)(28)(.251^2)= (1/2)(.050)v^2
which gave me 8.28 m/s, which isn't right

Thanks in advance for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Punchlinegirl said:
1. Mass M is sliding down the inclined part of a slide at a speed of 1.93 m/s. The mass stops a distance of S2= 2.1 m along the level part of the slide. The distance S1= 1.22 m and the angle theta= 34.70 deg. Calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction for the mass on the surface.
I used (1/2)mv^2 + mg(S1 sin theta)= FS2
(1/2)(M)(1.93^2) + M (9.8)(.694)= 2.1F
1.86M + 6.81M = 2.1 MuK M(9.8)
Canceling the M's and solving for mk gave me .421, which isn't right.
Is the slide frictionless?
2.The potential energy stored in the compressed spring of a dart gun, with a spring constant of 28.00 N/m, is .880 J. Find by how much the spring is compressed. I got this part= .251 m. A .050 kg dart is fired straight up. Find the vertical distance the dart travels from its position when the spring is compressed to its highest position. I got this part= 1.794 m. The same dart is now fired horizontally from a height of 1.70 m. The dart remains in contact until the spring reaches its equilibrium position. Find the horizontal velocity of the dart at that time.
I used mgh + (1/2)kx^2= (1/2)mv^2
(.050)(9.8)(1.70) + (1/2)(28)(.251^2)= (1/2)(.050)v^2
which gave me 8.28 m/s, which isn't right
The dart is fired horizontally, so the spring PE transforms into KE. (The horizontal velocity does not depend on the height.)

1. I don't think it is frictionless.. since they want the coefficent of kinetic friction.. but I'm not sure.

2. So should I use mgh + (1/2)kx^2 =2 (1/2)mv^2?
or does the spring equation just go away?
I'm kinda confused.

Punchlinegirl said:
1. I don't think it is frictionless.. since they want the coefficent of kinetic friction.. but I'm not sure.
There are two sections: the incline part (S1) and the level part (S2). Your analysis assumed that the incline part was frictionless (since you did not include the work done against friction in your energy balance).
2. So should I use mgh + (1/2)kx^2 =2 (1/2)mv^2?
or does the spring equation just go away?
Picture it: You're shooting a dart out of a dart gun horizontally. To find the speed that it shoots out, use energy conservation: Initial Energy (spring PE) = Final Energy (kinetic). (Gravitational PE has nothing to do with it.)

Related to Solve Physics Problems: Inclined Slide & Dart Gun Spring Compression

What are the 5 most frequently asked questions about "A couple physics problems"?

1. What is a couple in physics?

A couple in physics refers to a pair of forces that are equal in magnitude, opposite in direction, and do not share a line of action. This results in a rotational effect on an object rather than a translational effect.

2. How do you calculate the magnitude of a couple?

The magnitude of a couple can be calculated by multiplying the distance between the two forces and the magnitude of one of the forces.

3. What is the unit of measurement for a couple?

The unit of measurement for a couple is newton-meters (N·m).

4. How do you determine the direction of a couple?

The direction of a couple is determined by the direction of the rotational effect it produces. It is always perpendicular to the plane formed by the two forces and points in the direction of the rotational effect.

5. What are some real-life examples of a couple in physics?

Some common examples of a couple in physics include opening a door, tightening a screw with a wrench, or turning a steering wheel.