Solve Pedigree Problems: Task 1 & 2

• Thread starter LifestyeleOrk
  • Start date
In summary, the mode of inheritance for this disease is autosomal dominant, and the offspring of individuals III-1 and III-2 are 50 percent likely to have the disease, while the offspring of individuals III-6 and III-7 are 75 percent likely to have the disease.
LifestyeleOrk
I need help to the following two pedigrees:

squares = men and circles = women
green = healthy and yellow = sick

Task 1:

a) What is the mode of inheritance? Why?

b) What are the genotypes of each individual?

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/9991/pedigree.gif

Task 2:

a) What is the mode of inheritance? Why?

b) What are the genotypes of each individual?

c) What proportion of the offspring from individual III-1 and III-2 are likely to have the disease?

d) What proportion of the offspring from individual III-6 and III-7 are likely to have the disease?

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/9991/pedigree.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
Task 1:
First note the gonosomes of each individual.
Then look at the first male what does he give to his daughter?
What happens then his allele is dominant? What happerns if the allele is recessive?
Afterwards take a look at the sick individuals: What do you see?
Is there a connection to the gonosomes?

Task 2
Repeat the steps from Task 1

I hope I could help you,
Firelion
PS: If you notice a mistake in my language: please correct me.

Task 1:

a) Autosomal recessive/x-linked recessive.

b)

If it is autosomal:

I. aa; AA; aA; aA
II. aA; aA; aA or AA; aa
III. aa

If it is x-linked:

I. xY; XX; XY; xX
II. xX; XY; xX; XY; xY
III. xY

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/9991/pedigree.gif

Task 2:

a) Autosomal dominant.

b)

I. AA; aa
II. aa; aA; aA; aa
III. aa; aA; aa; aA; aa; aA; aA; aA; aa; aa

c) What proportion of the offspring from individual III-1 and III-2 are likely to have the disease?

aA x aa = 2/4 = 50 percent.

d) What proportion of the offspring from individual III-6 and III-7 are likely to have the disease?

aA x aA = 3/4 = 75 percent.

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/9991/pedigree.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Solve Pedigree Problems: Task 1 & 2

What is a pedigree problem?

A pedigree problem is a type of problem in genetics that involves analyzing the inheritance patterns of a specific trait or disease within a family over multiple generations. It involves constructing a family tree, or pedigree, and using this information to determine the mode of inheritance and possible genotypes of individuals in the family.

What are Task 1 and Task 2 in solving pedigree problems?

Task 1 and Task 2 are two steps in solving pedigree problems. Task 1 involves constructing a pedigree based on the given information, while Task 2 involves analyzing the pedigree to determine the mode of inheritance and possible genotypes of individuals.

What is the importance of solving pedigree problems?

Solving pedigree problems allows scientists to understand the inheritance patterns of specific traits or diseases within a family. This information is crucial in predicting the likelihood of passing on certain genetic conditions to future generations and in developing treatments or preventive measures.

What are the common modes of inheritance in pedigree problems?

The most common modes of inheritance in pedigree problems are autosomal dominant, autosomal recessive, and X-linked recessive. Autosomal dominant inheritance means that the trait or disease is caused by a dominant allele on one of the autosomes (non-sex chromosomes). Autosomal recessive inheritance means that the trait or disease is caused by two copies of a recessive allele on the autosomes. X-linked recessive inheritance means that the trait or disease is caused by a recessive allele on the X chromosome.

What are some challenges in solving pedigree problems?

Some challenges in solving pedigree problems include incomplete or inaccurate family history, unknown or multiple modes of inheritance, and the possibility of new mutations. These challenges can make it difficult to accurately determine the mode of inheritance and genotypes of individuals in a family.