Solve Particle Equilibrium Homework Statement

In summary, the force in cord ABC can be determined using the equations F(x)=0 and F(y)=0, where F(BC) is equal to F(BA). The force in cord ABC is approximately 35.97 N.
Robb

Homework Statement

Hibbler.ch3.f3.jpg

If the 4.4-kg block is suspended from the pulley B and the sag of the cord is d = 0.15 m, determine the force in cord ABC. Neglect the size of the pulley. (Figure 1)
Express your answer to three significant figures and include the appropriate units.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

upload_2016-9-30_16-18-6.png
[/B]
r(BC) = (x^2 + .15^2)^.5
r(AB) = [(.4-x)^2 + (.15^2)]

T(x) = r(BC)cos(theta) - r(AB)cos(theta)
T(y) = r(BC)sin(theta) + r(AB)sin(theta) - 43.164

I tried adding r(BC) + r(AB) and then grphing to find the zeros but that was wrong.

I also have; x/cos(theta) + .4-x/cos(theta) = .4cos(theta)

not sure how to proceed.

Attachments

• upload_2016-9-30_15-57-33.png
    upload_2016-9-30_15-57-33.png
    51.9 KB · Views: 427
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Robb,

Is there a reason to assume ##x\ne0.2## m ?

Can I assume it's centered?

Robb said:
Can I assume it's centered?
You are given that A and C are on the same horizontal level. You have correctly presumed that the angle is the same each side (if anything, that was the step that needs some physics to justify). If the vertical through B meets AC at E, what can you say about triangles AEB, CEB?

I suppose they are equal. I guess I don't like to make that assumption without proof. I suppose they would have to be though, given that the pulley would be assumed to be frictionless. Is that a correct assumption?

Robb said:
I suppose they are equal. I guess I don't like to make that assumption without proof. I suppose they would have to be though, given that the pulley would be assumed to be frictionless. Is that a correct assumption?
Yes. If there were static friction in the pulley then there would be a range of answers.

So, shouldn't T(ABC) = -43.164N?

Robb said:
So, shouldn't T(ABC) = -43.164N?
Not what I get, and it certainly cannot be negative.
Please post your working.

F(x) = 0; F(BC)cos37 - F(BA)cos37
F(y) =0; F(BC)sin37 + F(BA)sin37 - 43.164
F(BC) = F(BA)
-.6435F(BC) - .6435F(BC) = 43.164
F(BC) = 33.5359N

Robb said:
F(x) = 0; F(BC)cos37 - F(BA)cos37
F(y) =0; F(BC)sin37 + F(BA)sin37 - 43.164
F(BC) = F(BA)
-.6435F(BC) - .6435F(BC) = 43.164
F(BC) = 33.5359N
Ok.
Two issues.
1. Where did those minus signs come from in the line before last (which you then ignored to get the last line)?
2. There is no need to find the angle. Doing so has introduced some rounding error. The sine and cosine are exactly 0.6 and 0.8.

1. good question

I see what you're saying about not needing the angle.

F(x)=0; F(BC)(0.8) - F(BA)0.8)= 0
F(y)=0; F(BC)(0.6) + F(BA)(0.6) -43.164=0

F(BC)=F(BA)
1.2F(AC) = 43.164
F(AC) = 35.97

I assume this is the force in cord ABC?

Robb said:
1. good question

I see what you're saying about not needing the angle.

F(x)=0; F(BC)(0.8) - F(BA)0.8)= 0
F(y)=0; F(BC)(0.6) + F(BA)(0.6) -43.164=0

F(BC)=F(BA)
1.2F(AC) = 43.164
F(AC) = 35.97

I assume this is the force in cord ABC?
Yes. But I would not have written F(AC); that's a bit confusing since there is nothing acting along the straight line AC. You could write F(ABC), or just leave it as F(AB).

Related to Solve Particle Equilibrium Homework Statement

1. What is particle equilibrium?

Particle equilibrium is a state in which all the forces acting on a particle are balanced, resulting in no net acceleration. This means that the particle remains at rest or moves with a constant velocity.

2. How do you solve particle equilibrium problems?

To solve particle equilibrium problems, you need to first identify all the forces acting on the particle and their directions. Then, use Newton's laws of motion to set up equations and solve for the unknown forces or angles. It is also helpful to draw a free body diagram to visualize the problem.

3. What are the key concepts to understand in particle equilibrium?

The key concepts in particle equilibrium include understanding the difference between scalar and vector quantities, being able to resolve forces into their components, and applying the conditions for equilibrium (sum of forces equals zero and sum of torques equals zero).

4. Can you provide an example of solving a particle equilibrium problem?

Sure, for example, if a box is resting on a flat surface and has a weight of 50 N, we can find the normal force exerted by the surface by setting up the equation: ƩFy = 0, where ƩFy is the sum of the forces in the y-direction. This would give us the normal force as 50 N, since it is the only force acting in the y-direction.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid in solving particle equilibrium problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid include forgetting to consider all the forces acting on the particle, using incorrect signs or directions for the forces, and not setting up the equations correctly. It is important to carefully analyze the problem and double check your work to avoid these mistakes.