Solve OpAmp Circuit Using Differential Equations

In summary: If I want to find characteristic roots, I set LHS = 0 and solve, correct?In summary, the homework equation says that V2=Vo. The attempt at a solution states that V1=C1R2\dot{V_o}+V_o and the nodal equation says that V1=C1R2\ddot{V_o}+\dot{V_o}. The simplification says that V1+C1\dot{V_o}+C1C_2R_2\ddot{V_o}=V2. The rearrangement says that V2=Vo.
eehelp150

Homework Statement

upload_2016-11-17_12-22-21.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Nodal Equations
By property of OpAmp, V2=Vo

eq1:[tex]\frac{V_{1}-V_{in}}{R_1}+\frac{V_{1}-V_{o}}{R_2}+C_2*(\dot{V_1}-\dot{Vo})[/tex]
eq2: [tex]V_1=C_1R_2\dot{V_o}+V_o[/tex]

eq3:[tex] \dot{V_1}=C_1R_2\ddot{V_o}+\dot{V_o}[/tex]

Sub 2 & 3 into 1
[tex]\frac{C_1R_2\dot{V_o}+V_o-V_{in}}{R_1}+\frac{C_1R_2\dot{V_o}+V_o-V_o}{R_2}+C_2(C_1R_2\ddot{V_o}+\dot{V_o}-\dot{V_o})[/tex]

Simplify
[tex]\frac{C_1R_2\dot{V_o}+V_o-V_{in}}{R_1}+ C_1\dot{V_o}+C_2(C_1R_2\ddot{V_o})[/tex]

[tex]\frac{C_1R_2\dot{V_o}}{R_1}+\frac{V_o}{R_1}-\frac{V_{in}}{R_1}+C_1\dot{V_o}+C_1C_2R_2\ddot{V_o}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{C_1R_2\dot{V_o}}{R_1}+\frac{V_o}{R_1}+C_1\dot{V_o}+C_1C_2R_2\ddot{V_o}=\frac{V_{in}}{R_1}[/tex]

Divide everything by C1C2R2 to single out Vo''
[tex]\frac{C_1R_2\dot{V_o}}{C_1C_2R_1R_2}+\frac{V_o}{C_1C_2R_1R_2}+\frac{C_1\dot{V_o}}{C_1C_2R_2}+\frac{C_1C_2R_2\ddot{V_o}}{C_1C_2R_2}=\frac{V_{in}}{R_1C_1C_2R_2}[/tex]

Simplify
[tex]\frac{\dot{V_o}}{R_1C_2}+\frac{V_o}{C_1C_2R_1R_2}+\frac{\dot{V_o}}{C_2R_2}+\ddot{V_o}=\frac{V_{in}}{R_1C_1C_2R_2}[/tex]
Rearrange
[tex]\ddot{V_o}+\frac{\dot{V_o}}{R_1C_2}+\frac{\dot{V_o}}{C_2R_2}+\frac{V_o}{C_1C_2R_1R_2}=\frac{V_{in}}{R_1C_1C_2R_2}
[/tex]

This is the correct solution:
[tex]\ddot{V_o}+\frac{\dot{V_o}}{R_1R_2}+\frac{V_o}{R_1R_2C_1C_2}=\frac{V_{in}}{R_1}[/tex]

What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I did a quick check and I have to say I'm liking your solution better than the "correct" solution. The units don't look right in their solution:

$$\frac{[V]}{[ s ]^2} + \frac{[V]}{[Ω]^2[ s ]} + \frac{[V]}{[ s ]^2} = \frac{[V]}{[Ω]}$$

gneill said:
I did a quick check and I have to say I'm liking your solution better than the "correct" solution. The units don't look right in their solution:

$$\frac{[V]}{[ s ]^2} + \frac{[V]}{[Ω]^2[ s ]} + \frac{[V]}{[ s ]^2} = \frac{[V]}{[Ω]}$$
I typed it wrong, correct (given) solution should be this:
[tex]
\ddot{V_o}+\frac{\dot{V_o}}{R_1C_2}+\frac{V_o}{R_1R_2C_1C_2}=\frac{V_{in}}{R_1}[/tex]

Still don't like their solution. The RHS has V/Ω for units (so a current). The LHS is all V/s2.

gneill said:
Still don't like their solution. The RHS has V/Ω for units (so a current). The LHS is all V/s2.
So mine looks right?

eehelp150 said:
So mine looks right?
I believe so, yes.

gneill said:
I believe so, yes.
If I want to find characteristic roots, I set LHS = 0 and solve, correct?
So it'd look something like:
d^2 + 2/(R1C2)*d+1/(R1R2C1C2)=0
D1=..., D2=...

Something like that, yes. You probably want to collect your to Vo' terms into a single term. Unless R1 = R2 they have different denominators.

Related to Solve OpAmp Circuit Using Differential Equations

What is an OpAmp?

An Operational Amplifier, or OpAmp, is an electronic device that amplifies the difference between two input voltages, while rejecting any common-mode voltage. It is commonly used in analog circuits to perform mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, and differentiation.

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates the rate of change of a variable to the variables themselves. In the context of OpAmp circuits, differential equations are used to model the behavior of the circuit and solve for the output voltage.

How do you solve an OpAmp circuit using differential equations?

To solve an OpAmp circuit using differential equations, you will need to first set up the differential equations that describe the behavior of the circuit. This is done by analyzing the circuit and applying Kirchhoff's laws. Then, you can use techniques such as separation of variables or Laplace transforms to solve the equations and determine the output voltage.

What are some common applications of OpAmp circuits?

OpAmp circuits have a wide range of applications, including audio amplifiers, filters, oscillators, and signal processing circuits. They are also commonly used in instrumentation and control systems.

What are some limitations of OpAmp circuits?

Some limitations of OpAmp circuits include the need for a power supply, limited bandwidth, and a maximum output voltage range. OpAmps also have some non-ideal characteristics, such as input bias currents, offset voltage, and finite gain, which can affect the accuracy of the circuit's output.