Solve Natural Log Problem: 3^x when 2^x=3

In summary, the problem is that if 2^{x}=3, what does 3^x equal? The solution is to take the log_{2} of both sides. However, the book's solution involves taking the natural log of both sides. Can someone show me why that would work? I don't get what the x power changes to a x term.
lLovePhysics
Problem: If [tex]2^{x}=3[/tex], what does 3^x equal?

I solved this by taking the [tex]log_{2}[/tex] of both sides. However, the book's solution involves taking the natural log of both sides. Can someone show me why that would work? I don't get what the x power changes to a x term. The natural log is base 10 right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly are you asking? If 23, what... means nothing.

Do you mean:

[itex] 2^3 = x [/itex] then what does [itex]3^x[/itex] equal?

Kurdt said:
What exactly are you asking? If 23, what... means nothing.

Do you mean:

[itex] 2^3 = x [/itex] then what does [itex]3^x[/itex] equal?

My bad... I've edited the problem

Also, someone please answer this question. How come: [tex]\sqrt{(-2)^{2}}=2[/tex]??

This is very mind boogling because (-2)^2=4 and the square root of 4 is 2... but, why is it wrong to simplify just by canceling out the power of 2 with the square root? I've always done it that way... =/

Last edited:
Ok no probs.

Because exponentials are defined in terms of the exponential function (hence the name) and the natural logarithm is the inverse to the exponential function, it is easy to write a logarithm to the base of any number in terms of natural logs. For example, we define [itex]\log_a (x)=y[/itex] to be the inverse of [itex] x= a^y[/itex]. But from our knowledge of exponentials we can say:

[tex]x=a^y=e^{y\ln (a)} \rightarrow \ln(x)=y\ln(a) \rightarrow y=\frac{\ln (x)}{\ln (a)} [/tex]

lLovePhysics said:
Also, someone please answer this question. How come: [tex]\sqrt{(-2)^{2}}=2[/tex]??
The mistake that many people make (especially those in physics, because math majors look out for such mistakes) is that [tex]\sqrt{x^2}=x[/tex]. That is wrong. For example, if [tex]x=(-2)^2[/tex] then [tex]\sqrt{(-2)^2}=2[/tex].

The correct version states that,
[tex]\sqrt{x^2}=|x|[/tex].

Kurdt said:
Ok no probs.

Because exponentials are defined in terms of the exponential function (hence the name) and the natural logarithm is the inverse to the exponential function, it is easy to write a logarithm to the base of any number in terms of natural logs. For example, we define [itex]\log_a (x)=y[/itex] to be the inverse of [itex] x= a^y[/itex]. But from our knowledge of exponentials we can say:

[tex]x=a^y=e^{y\ln (a)} \rightarrow \ln(x)=y\ln(a) \rightarrow y=\frac{\ln (x)}{\ln (a)} [/tex]

So [tex]ln[/tex] is basically equal to [tex]log_{e}[/tex] right? What is [tex]e^{log_{e}}[/tex]??

Kummer said:
The mistake that many people make (especially those in physics, because math majors look out for such mistakes) is that [tex]\sqrt{x^2}=x[/tex]. That is wrong. For example, if [tex]x=(-2)^2[/tex] then [tex]\sqrt{(-2)^2}=2[/tex].

The correct version states that,
[tex]\sqrt{x^2}=|x|[/tex].

Is there any reason why you can't just take cancel the sqrt. and power of 2? It is different for cube roots and cube powers right?

So the 4th root of (-4)^4 is equal to 4 right?

lLovePhysics said:
So [tex]ln[/tex] is basically equal to [tex]log_{e}[/tex] right? What is [tex]e^{log_{e}}[/tex]??

Yes, ln is a shorthand for natural log or loge. The natural logarithm is the inverse function of the exponential function and thus:

[tex] e^{\ln a} = a[/tex]

Last edited:
Sorry, I didn't see in your original post that you asked if natural log was log to the base ten. Natural log is log to the base e.

lLovePhysics said:
Is there any reason why you can't just take cancel the sqrt. and power of 2? It is different for cube roots and cube powers right?

What Kummer said was correct about the absolute value of two. You can't just cancel it out, you may cancel it out though if it is (square root of x)^2 as long as the radical symbol is inside the parentheses then you may cancel out.

Getting back to the first question:
If 2x= 3, then log(2x)= x log(2)= log(3) so
[tex]x= \frac{log(3)}{log(2)}[/itex]

Now, 3x= 3log(3)/log(2).

That isn't going to be any simple number (it's about 5.7).

lLovePhysics said:

Yup, exactly. Well, since y = x3 is a 1-to-1 function, i.e, for every [tex]x_0 \neq x_1[/tex], we'll obtain: [tex]y_0 = x_0 ^ 3 \neq y_1 = x_1 ^ 3[/tex], so given one y, we can find only one x such that y = x3.

But y = 2 is a different thing. 2 numbers a, and -a, are different (for a <> 0), but when squared, they'll become: (a2) = a2, and (-a)2 = (-1)2 a2 = a2, so, we have: [tex](a) ^ 2 = (-a) ^ 2 = a ^ 2[/tex]. So, for any y (not 0), there'll be 2 different x's, one positive, one negative, such that, when squared, they'll give y.

Say, y = 4, then 2 x's are 2, and -2.

Square root function will only return the non-negative value.

Say, we have: y = 4, so sqrt(y) = 2; k = 16 ~~> sqrt(k) = 4.

So, in general, we have: [tex]\sqrt{a ^ 2} = |a|[/tex]

To take the negative value, we can assign the minus sign in front of it, like this:

[tex]t = 36 \Rightarrow - \sqrt{t} = -6[/tex]

-------------------------

And it's the same for even-th root, like: [tex]\sqrt[4]{x ^ 4} = |x| , \ \sqrt[6]{x ^ 6} = |x|, ...[/tex], blah, blah, blah, so on. :)

Hope that's clear. :)

Last edited:

Related to Solve Natural Log Problem: 3^x when 2^x=3

What is the natural log problem for 3^x when 2^x=3?

The natural log problem for 3^x when 2^x=3 is to find the value of x that satisfies the equation 2^x=3. This can be solved using logarithms, specifically the natural logarithm (ln).

What is the relationship between 2^x and 3^x?

The relationship between 2^x and 3^x is that 3^x is equal to 2^x raised to the power of ln(3)/ln(2). In other words, 3^x is the exponent of 2^x that results in 3.

How can I solve the natural log problem for 3^x when 2^x=3?

The natural log problem for 3^x when 2^x=3 can be solved by taking the natural logarithm (ln) of both sides of the equation. This will result in ln(2^x) = ln(3), which can then be simplified to x*ln(2) = ln(3). The value of x can then be found by dividing ln(3) by ln(2).

What is the value of x when 2^x=3?

The value of x when 2^x=3 is approximately 1.58496. This can be found by using the equation x = ln(3)/ln(2) or by using a calculator to solve for x.

What are some real-life applications of solving the natural log problem for 3^x when 2^x=3?

The natural log problem for 3^x when 2^x=3 can be used in various fields such as finance, chemistry, and biology. For example, in finance, it can be used to calculate the compound annual growth rate of investments. In chemistry, it can be used to determine the half-life of a radioactive element. In biology, it can be used to model population growth or decay.