Solve Milk & Cream Mixture Word Problem: Help Needed

In summary, the problem is asking for the amount of cream, in quarts, that needs to be separated from 1000 quarts of milk containing 4% butterfat, in order to produce a mixture with 3% butterfat. The amount of cream is represented by $x$ and the equation to solve is $0.04(1000)-0.23x=(1000-x)0.03$. Through algebra, it is determined that 50 quarts of cream should be removed to achieve the desired result.
paulmdrdo1
can you explain what the problem is asking for?
please use single variable only.

One thousand quarts of milk testing 4% butterfat are to be reduced to 3%. How many quarts of cream testing 23% butterfat must be separated from the milk to produce the required result? All percentages are by volume.

please help. I'm confused.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
First determine the amount in quarts of pure fat with which we have to work. Let $x$ be the amount of cream in quarts to be removed. Then set the amount of fat in the resulting 3% mix of milk plus the amount of fat in the result 23% mix of cream equal to the total amount of fat and solve for $x$. What equation do you get?

the amount of butterfat is 1000(0.04) = 40 quarts

but I don't know what's the component here. the problem says that the percentage of butterfat in the 1000 quarts of milk is 4%, but if we remove some cream it is 23% butterfat? why is that?

Apparently when the cream rises, it consists of 23% fat. So when we remove $x$ quarts of cream, how many quarts of milk is left?

Hmmm...

I'm confused about that cream. Is there an amount of cream in the 1000 quarts of milk with which 4% is butterfat? please bear with me. English is not my primary language.

can you tell what's happening in the problem? although I understand what we are asked to find here. What's with "milk testing" and "cream testing"? there are terms that I don't understand.

because If there's an amount of cream to begin with, the percentage of the butterfat in the amount of cream to be removed should also contain 4%. that's how I view the problem. how come that it has 23% butterfat?

I would focus on the algebra rather than the chemistry here. :D Whether this is a realistic problem involving milk fat or not, I really couldn't tell you. Just imagine that somehow through some process cream can be extracted from the milk that contains 23% milk fat. :D

yeah you're right! I think I'm over-thinking it.

anyways if I just focus on the algebra this is how I would solve it

$0.04(1000) = 40$ quarts - amount BF in 1000 quarts of milk.

$0.23x =$ amount of BF in the cream to be removed from the 1000 quarts milk.

$1000-x = $new volume of milk

we wish to have a post-removal volume percentage of 3%.

then,

$0.04(1000)-0.23x=(1000-x)0.03$

$x=50$ quarts of cream should be removed. is this correct? thanks!

Yep, you got it! (Cool)

Related to Solve Milk & Cream Mixture Word Problem: Help Needed

What is a milk and cream mixture word problem?

A milk and cream mixture word problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the ratio or proportion of milk and cream in a mixture based on given information.

How do I solve a milk and cream mixture word problem?

To solve a milk and cream mixture word problem, you will need to gather all the given information, set up the appropriate mathematical equation, and then solve for the unknown variable using algebraic techniques.

What are some common strategies for solving milk and cream mixture word problems?

Some common strategies for solving milk and cream mixture word problems include setting up a proportion, using the method of alligation, and using the concept of weighted averages.

What are some real-life applications of milk and cream mixture word problems?

Milk and cream mixture word problems can be applied in real-life situations such as calculating the amount of fat in a dairy product, determining the ratio of ingredients in a recipe, or finding the percentage of cream in a coffee drink.

How can I check my answer for a milk and cream mixture word problem?

You can check your answer for a milk and cream mixture word problem by plugging in your solution into the original equation and verifying that it satisfies all the given conditions. You can also use a calculator or online tool to double-check your calculations.