Solve Magnetic Field Homework: Find Velocity of Metal Strip

In summary, a metal strip with dimensions of 6.5cm length, 0.88cm width, and 0.76cm thickness moves with a constant velocity of 0.369m/s along the positive y-axis through a magnetic field of 1.2mT along the positive z-axis. A potential difference of 3.9x10^-6V is measured between two points, leading to a calculation of the magnitude of the velocity of 0.369m/s. This problem may seem simple, but it is essentially the same as a wire moving through a magnetic field. The use of Hall Effect in this context is somewhat unclear.
cookiemnstr510510

Homework Statement

A metal strip 6.5cm long, 0.88cm wide, and 0.76cm thick moves with constant velocity, magnitude v along positive y-axis, through a magnetic field, B=1.2mT along positive z-axis. A potential difference of 3.9x10^-6V is measured between points x1 and x2 (as shown in halleffect.jpg). Determine the magnitude of the velocity, v.

Homework Equations

Vh=BVW

The Attempt at a Solution

info given:
length=6.5cm
width=0.88cm
thickness=0.76cm
B=1.2mT
Vh=3.9x10^-6V

Vh=BVW
V=(Vh)/BW→(3.9x1-^-6V)/((1.2x10^-3T)(0.88x10^-2m)→0.369m/s

Im wondering if I am missing something, this problem seems too easy.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks

Attachments

• Halleffect.JPG
    Halleffect.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 225
Physics news on Phys.org
I dunno, seems to me that you got it in one. It's basically the same situation as a length of wire moving through a magnetic field with some velocity. See, for example: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/genwir2.html

Edit: I'm not sure why they're describing this as a Hall Effect problem. The Hall Effect usually involves a current moving through a slab of material subjected to an external magnetic field. But I suppose the charges in the moving block constitutes a current.

Likes cookiemnstr510510

Related to Solve Magnetic Field Homework: Find Velocity of Metal Strip

1. How do I solve for the magnetic field in this homework problem?

The magnetic field can be solved using the equation B = μ0I/2πr, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current in the metal strip, and r is the distance from the strip. Make sure to convert all units to SI units before plugging them into the equation.

2. What is the velocity of the metal strip?

The velocity of the metal strip can be found using the equation v = BQ/m, where B is the magnetic field, Q is the electric charge of the metal strip, and m is the mass of the strip. Again, make sure to use SI units for all variables.

3. What is the direction of the magnetic field and velocity?

The direction of the magnetic field can be determined using the right-hand rule. Point your thumb in the direction of the current in the metal strip, and your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field. The direction of the velocity can be determined by the direction of the force acting on the strip, which can be found using the cross product rule.

4. How does the angle between the magnetic field and velocity affect the final result?

The angle between the magnetic field and velocity can affect the magnitude of the final result. The maximum velocity will be achieved when the angle is perpendicular, and the velocity will decrease as the angle approaches parallel. This is due to the trigonometric relationship between the angle and the sine function in the equation for velocity.

5. Are there any other factors that could affect the results?

Other factors that could affect the results include the length and width of the metal strip, the strength of the magnetic field, and any external forces acting on the strip. It is important to consider all of these factors and ensure that they are accurately represented in the calculations for the most precise results.