Solve L Section Filter Problem for Final | AC Current/Voltage

In summary, the speaker is struggling with a problem in their review packet and is feeling stressed because it was not covered in lecture and the book did not provide enough information. They are specifically having difficulty understanding the phase relationship between current and voltage in a simple AC circuit and how it applies to filtering. They are requesting help and feeling frustrated. In response to a question about the transfer function and equations for current and voltage in an inductor and capacitor, the speaker is unsure and asks for a link or example for reference.
sfgoat
I have this problem in my review packet and it is making me crazy because it wasn't covered in lecture and the book seems to just skip over it. The final is tomorrow and I don't really have a clue about phase relationship between current and voltage in a simple ac circuit and filtering application. If someone could show me how to work a problem like this I would greatly appreciate it. Maybe it's the stress of the final tomorrow but I'm getting very frustrated with it.

Attachments

• 1399305438436.jpg
    1399305438436.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 564
Physics news on Phys.org
sfgoat said:
I have this problem in my review packet and it is making me crazy because it wasn't covered in lecture and the book seems to just skip over it. The final is tomorrow and I don't really have a clue about phase relationship between current and voltage in a simple ac circuit and filtering application. If someone could show me how to work a problem like this I would greatly appreciate it. Maybe it's the stress of the final tomorrow but I'm getting very frustrated with it.

Just write the differential equation for the transfer function. What are the expressions for current versus voltage for an inductor and capacitor?

berkeman said:
Just write the differential equation for the transfer function. What are the expressions for current versus voltage for an inductor and capacitor?

Still not following, I don't really know what you mean by transfer function. We kind of just skipped over all this material it seems like.

If they were resistors in stead of an inductor and capacitor, what would be the transfer function Vo/Vi?

And what are the equations relating current and voltage for an inductor and for a capacitor? They are not the simple V=IR like for a resistor...

Can anybody direct me to a link or something of this being done. In an example.

sfgoat said:
Can anybody direct me to a link or something of this being done. In an example.

Look down this page to the part about Series LC circuit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LC_circuit

Related to Solve L Section Filter Problem for Final | AC Current/Voltage

1. What is an L section filter?

An L section filter is a type of electronic circuit that is used to filter out specific frequencies from an alternating current (AC) or voltage signal. It is made up of two components - an inductor (L) and a capacitor (C) - arranged in the shape of an "L".

2. How does an L section filter work?

An L section filter works by using the properties of inductance and capacitance to create a frequency-dependent impedance. This means that it will allow certain frequencies to pass through the filter while blocking others, resulting in a filtered output signal.

3. What is the purpose of solving an L section filter problem?

The purpose of solving an L section filter problem is to determine the values of the inductor and capacitor that will result in the desired filtering effect. This involves calculating the frequency and impedance of the input signal, and then using equations to determine the appropriate component values.

4. What factors affect the performance of an L section filter?

The performance of an L section filter is affected by several factors, including the frequency of the input signal, the resistance of the components, and the quality of the components used. Other factors such as temperature and aging can also impact the filter's performance over time.

5. Can an L section filter be used for both AC current and voltage?

Yes, an L section filter can be used for both AC current and voltage. The specific design and component values may differ slightly depending on the application, but the basic principles and equations for solving the filter problem are the same.