Solve Integration by Parts Homework: Find Error

In summary, the conversation discusses a solution to a problem involving integration by parts. One person provides a solution, but another person points out a mistake in the integration process. They suggest simplifying the problem first by pulling out a 2 from the integrand. After following the suggestion, the correct solution is given and confirmed by the other person.
MitsuShai
Homework Statement [/b]

http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k327/ProtoGirlEXE/Capture1.jpg

The attempt at a solution[/b]
http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k327/ProtoGirlEXE/100_0635.jpg
Answer I got: http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k327/ProtoGirlEXE/Capture2.jpg

I thought my answer would be correct, but it was wrong. Where did I mess up at?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks good until you get to 1/2∫cos2x(2x)dx
You can't just integrate cos2x and 2x like that because they're multiplied together; you need to use integration by parts again since you have a product there. But before you do that, you can simplify it a bit by pulling the 2 from the (2x) out of the integrand and it will cancel with the 1/2 out front, giving you [STRIKE]∫xcosx dx[/STRIKE] ∫xcos2x dx. Then use u = x, [STRIKE]du = cosx dx[/STRIKE] dv = cos2x dx

Last edited:
Bohrok said:
It looks good until you get to 1/2∫cos2x(2x)dx
You can't just integrate cos2x and 2x like that because they're multiplied together; you need to use integration by parts again since you have a product there. But before you do that, you can simplify it a bit by pulling the 2 from the (2x) out of the integrand and it will cancel with the 1/2 out front, giving you ∫xcosx dx. Then use u = x, du = cosx dx

you mean ∫xcos(2x) dx, right?
u=x dv=cos(2x)
du=dx v=(1/2)sin(2x)
(x^2 +1)((-1/2) cos(2x)) + x((1/2)sin(2x)) - ∫(1/2)sin(2x) dx
(x^2 +1)((-1/2) cos(2x)) + x((1/2)sin(2x)) - (1/2) ∫sin(2x) dx
(x^2 +1)((-1/2) cos(2x)) + x((1/2)sin(2x)) + (1/4) cos(2x) +c

Is that right? did I make an error?

Sorry about the errors, fixed now.
And yes, you got it right. :smile:

Related to Solve Integration by Parts Homework: Find Error

What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a calculus technique used to evaluate integrals of the form ∫u dv by rewriting it in the form of ∫v du. It is based on the product rule for differentiation and can be used to solve a wide variety of integrals.

How do I identify an error in my integration by parts homework?

If you have followed the integration by parts method correctly, you can check for errors by differentiating your integration by parts solution. If the result is not equal to the original integrand, then there may be an error in your calculation.

What are some common errors in integration by parts?

Some common errors in integration by parts include incorrect application of the product rule, incorrect choice of u and v, forgetting to include the constant of integration, and making algebraic mistakes in the integration by parts formula.

How can I avoid errors in integration by parts?

To avoid errors in integration by parts, it is important to carefully identify which function to take as u and which to take as dv. You should also double-check all algebraic steps and be aware of common mistakes such as forgetting to include the constant of integration.

What should I do if I am still unsure about my integration by parts homework?

If you are still unsure about your integration by parts homework, you can seek help from your teacher or tutor. You can also try to solve the integral using a different method to compare your answers and identify any errors. Practice and reviewing examples can also help improve your understanding of integration by parts.