Solve Integral with Integration by Parts: 3xcos(x/2)dx

In summary, the integral \displaystyle\int_{}^{}3x\cos(\displaystyle\frac{x}{2})dx can be solved using integration by parts. However, some mistakes were made in the initial attempt, such as an incorrect expression for "v" and a mistake in integrating sine. The correct solution is 12cos(x/2)+ 6xsin(x/2) + C, where C is a constant.
Telemachus

Homework Statement

Hi there. I'm confused about this exercise. It asks me to solve the integral using integration by parts. And the integral is:

[tex]\displaystyle\int_{}^{}3x\cos(\displaystyle\frac{x}{2})dx[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did:

[tex]u=3x[/tex]
[tex]du=3dx[/tex]
[tex]dv=cos(\displaystyle\frac{x}{2})[/tex]
[tex]v=\sin(\displaystyle\frac{x}{2})[/tex]

Then:

[tex]\displaystyle\int_{}^{}3x\cos(\displaystyle\frac{x}{2})dx=3x\sin(\displaystyle\frac{x}{2})-\displaystyle\int_{}^{}\sin(\displaystyle\frac{x}{2})3dx=3x\sin(\displaystyle\frac{x}{2})-3\cos(\displaystyle\frac{x}{2})[/tex]

And derive gives me:

[tex]\displaystyle\int_{}^{}3x\cos(\displaystyle\frac{x}{2})dx=12\cos(\displaystyle\frac{x}{2})+6x\sin(\displaystyle\frac{x}{2})[/tex]

So I think I'm doing something wrong, but I don't know what. And actually in my first attempt to a solution I got something like: [tex]\displaystyle\int_{}^{}3x\cos(\displaystyle\frac{x}{2})dx=\displaystyle\frac{1}{3}[x\sin(\displaystyle\frac{x}{2})-\cos(\displaystyle\frac{x}{2})][/tex], I arrived to this result by first taking the 3 out of the integral, and passing it to the other side at the end.

Any help will be thanked.

Bye there.

Physics news on Phys.org
Telemachus said:

Homework Statement

Hi there. I'm confused about this exercise. It asks me to solve the integral using integration by parts. And the integral is:

What I did:

[tex]u=3x[/tex]
[tex]du=3dx[/tex]

Then:

[tex]\displaystyle\int_{}^{}3x\cos(\displaystyle\frac{x}{2})dx=3x\sin(\displaystyle\frac{x}{2})-\displaystyle\int_{}^{}\sin(\displaystyle\frac{x}{2})3dx=3x\sin(\displaystyle\frac{x}{2})-3\cos(\displaystyle\frac{x}{2})[/tex]

And derive gives me:

[tex]\displaystyle\int_{}^{}3x\cos(\displaystyle\frac{x}{2})dx=12\cos(\displaystyle\frac{x}{2})+6x\sin(\displaystyle\frac{x}{2})[/tex]

So I think I'm doing something wrong, but I don't know what. And actually in my first attempt to a solution I got something like: [tex]\displaystyle\int_{}^{}3x\cos(\displaystyle\frac{x}{2})dx=\displaystyle\frac{1}{3}[x\sin(\displaystyle\frac{x}{2})-\cos(\displaystyle\frac{x}{2})][/tex], I arrived to this result by first taking the 3 out of the integral, and passing it to the other side at the end.

Bye there.

You have the right approach but you made at least 3 silly mistakes. Your expression for "v" is off by a factor of 2 and you are off by a minus sign when you integrate sine. The final step is really silly when you factor out a 3 and get 1/3.

Telemachus said:

Homework Statement

What I did:

[tex]u=3x[/tex]
[tex]du=3dx[/tex]
This is incorrect. Let u= x/2. Then du= (1/2)dx so dx= 2du.
[tex]\int cos(x/2)dx= 2\int cos(u)du= 2 sin(u)+ C= 2sin(x/2)+ C[/tex]
If [itex]dv= cos(x/2)[/itex], then [itex]v= 2sin(x/2)[/itex], not just sin(x/2).

Then:

And derive gives me:

Bye there.

Related to Solve Integral with Integration by Parts: 3xcos(x/2)dx

What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a method used to evaluate integrals that involve a product of two functions. It involves using the product rule for differentiation in reverse to simplify the integral.

What is the formula for integration by parts?

The formula for integration by parts is ∫ u dv = uv - ∫ v du, where u and v are functions of x and dv and du are their respective differentials.

How do you choose which function to use as u and which as dv?

When using integration by parts, it is typically best to choose u as the function that becomes simpler when differentiated, and dv as the function that becomes easier to integrate when differentiated. This may involve trial and error or using the acronym LIATE - logarithmic, inverse trigonometric, algebraic, trigonometric, exponential - to determine which function to choose as u.

How do you use integration by parts for 3xcos(x/2)dx?

To use integration by parts for 3xcos(x/2)dx, we can choose u = 3x and dv = cos(x/2)dx. Then, we can find du and v by differentiating and integrating, respectively. After applying the formula for integration by parts, we can solve for the integral.

Can integration by parts be used for definite integrals?

Yes, integration by parts can be used for definite integrals. After applying the formula and solving for the integral, we can evaluate the definite integral using the fundamental theorem of calculus.