Solve Inequality Problem Step by Step

• Thread starter betosasana
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the conversation is about how to solve the inequality |x+2|-|x-1|>=\sqrt{x^2+x+1}, with the desired result being x \in [ 0 , \frac{-1+\sqrt{33}}{2} ]. The expert suggests solving the inequality separately over three different intervals of x and then combining the solutions. The person asking for help has already attempted this but is unsure how to incorporate the restriction |x+2|-|x-1|>=0 into the final answer. The expert offers to point out where they may have gone wrong and suggests showing their steps for clarification.
betosasana
How can I solve, step by step, this inequality ?
The result I have is [ 1 , (-1 + sqrt33)/2 ]
but the result should be [ 0 , (-1 + sqrt33)/2 ]|x+2|-|x-1|[tex]\geq[/tex][tex]\sqrt{x^2+x+1}[/tex]

thanks for ur help =)

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you go about solving it? Its a little hard to point out where you went wrong without actually seeing what you did. If i was doing it, i'd solve the inequality separately over three different intervals of x and then conglomerate my three solutions into a final answer.

danago said:
How did you go about solving it? Its a little hard to point out where you went wrong without actually seeing what you did. If i was doing it, i'd solve the inequality separately over three different intervals of x and then conglomerate my three solutions into a final answer.

Please, would you do it and let me know if you got the answer given ?
Coz I took the 3 intervals, but I do not know how to use the restriction |x+2|-|x-1|>=0 on the final results.

I just did it and got [itex]x \in [ 0 , \frac{-1+\sqrt{33}}{2} ][/itex].

If i had to make a guess, i would say that you have solved the inequality incorrectly for the case where -2<x<1

danago said:
I just did it and got [itex]x \in [ 0 , \frac{-1+\sqrt{33}}{2} ][/itex].

If i had to make a guess, i would say that you have solved the inequality incorrectly for the case where -2<x<1

And would it be too much if I ask you to explain it step by step ?
Pleeeeaaaase =P

How about you show me how you did it and ill point out what went wrong? :smile: You were very close to the correct answer, after all.

Related to Solve Inequality Problem Step by Step

1. What is an inequality problem?

An inequality problem is a mathematical problem that involves comparing two quantities using the symbols <, >, ≤, or ≥. The goal is to determine the relationship between the two quantities and find the range of values that satisfy the given conditions.

2. How do I solve an inequality problem step by step?

To solve an inequality problem, follow these steps:

1. Simplify both sides of the inequality by combining like terms and using inverse operations.

2. If necessary, rearrange the terms so that the variable is on the left side and the constant is on the right side.

3. Identify the type of inequality (less than, greater than, less than or equal to, or greater than or equal to) and use the appropriate rules to solve the problem.

4. Solve for the variable and write the solution using interval notation or set notation.

3. Can you provide an example of solving an inequality problem step by step?

Example:

Solve for x in the inequality 2x + 5 < 15

Step 1: Simplify both sides by subtracting 5 from both sides.

2x < 10

Step 2: Divide both sides by 2 to isolate the variable.

x < 5

Step 3: Write the solution using interval notation or set notation.

x ∈ (-∞, 5)

or

x ∈ {x | x < 5}

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving inequality problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving inequality problems include:

- Forgetting to flip the inequality sign when multiplying or dividing by a negative number.

- Not simplifying both sides of the inequality before solving.

- Incorrectly identifying the type of inequality (e.g. writing < instead of ≤).

5. Are there any tips for solving inequality problems efficiently?

Yes, here are a few tips for solving inequality problems efficiently:

- Always simplify both sides of the inequality before solving.

- Keep track of the type of inequality and use the appropriate rules for solving.

- If necessary, graph the inequality on a number line to visualize the solution.

- Check your solution by plugging it back into the original inequality.