Solve Heat Problem: Estimate Altitude, Rate of Heat Transfer

• Thread starter tweety1234
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat
In summary, a scientist collects water from a stream on a mountain and measures the temperature of the steam condensing on a thermometer to be 98°C. Using this information, the height of the column of mercury in the barometer is calculated to be 0.70 meters and the altitude of the scientist is estimated to be 8009 meters. To estimate the rate of heat transfer delivered by the camping stove to the pan of water, the scientist notes that it takes about 3 minutes to bring 2 liters of water to boiling temperature and assumes that the thermal capacity of the water dominates. However, the initial temperature of the water is not given.
tweety1234

Homework Statement

A scientist carries a thermometer, barometer, pan and gas camping stove up a mountain. At a certain point he collects water from a stream, boils it and measures the temperature of the steam condensing on the thermometer to be 98°C. What is the height of the column of mercury (density = 13560 kg m–3) in the barometer?

b) Estimate the altitude of the scientist relative to sea level, assuming the density of air to be 1.186 kg m¬–3.

c)The scientist notices that it takes about 3 minutes to bring about 2 litres of water just to the boiling temperature. Assuming the thermal capacity of the water dominates (i.e. ignoring the thermal capacity of the pan), estimate the rate of heat transfer delivered by the camping stove to the pan of water.
I need help with part 'c', I have done parts 'a' and 'b'.

pressure at T = 98C is 0.093182MPa

a) [tex] \frac{p}{\rho g} = h = \frac{93182 pa}{9.81 \times 13560} [/tex]

= 0.70 m

Usinf the same equation to get altitude, and the pressure in part a

b) [tex] \frac{p}{\rho g} = h = \frac{93182}{1.186 \times 9.81} = 8009m [/tex]

How do I do part 'c'

Q = mcT?
I can work out the mass from the information given, [tex] m = \rho V = 0.002 \times 1000 = 2kg [/tex]

However how do I get initial temperate?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
would the final temperature be 98C? So what is the intial temerature?

Related to Solve Heat Problem: Estimate Altitude, Rate of Heat Transfer

1. How do I estimate altitude in order to solve a heat problem?

To estimate altitude, you can use the following formula: altitude = (atmospheric pressure / sea level pressure) * sea level altitude. The atmospheric pressure and sea level pressure can be found in weather reports or online. Sea level altitude is usually around 15,000 feet, but can vary depending on your location.

2. What is the rate of heat transfer and how does it affect solving a heat problem?

The rate of heat transfer refers to the speed at which heat is transferred between two objects. In a heat problem, the rate of heat transfer is important because it determines how quickly the temperature of an object will change. This information is necessary when estimating altitude, as it can affect the amount of heat being transferred and therefore the temperature of the object.

3. Can I use a thermometer to estimate altitude in a heat problem?

No, a thermometer is not an accurate tool for estimating altitude. It only measures the temperature of an object, not the atmospheric pressure or sea level pressure which are necessary for the altitude estimation formula. It's important to use the correct tools and information when solving a heat problem.

4. How do I know if my estimated altitude is accurate?

There are a few ways to check the accuracy of your estimated altitude. One way is to compare it to the altitude given in a weather report or on a map. Another way is to use a barometer to measure the atmospheric pressure and compare it to the value used in the altitude estimation formula. If the values are similar, your estimated altitude is likely accurate.

5. Is there a specific unit of measurement for altitude that I should use?

The most commonly used unit of measurement for altitude is feet. However, some countries may use meters or other units. It's important to use the same unit of measurement consistently throughout your calculations to avoid errors in your final answer.