Solve Griffith's Problem 1.12: Ehrenfest's Theorem

In summary, the conversation is about solving Griffith's problem 1.12, which involves calculating the time derivative of the average momentum using the equation \frac{d\left<p\right>}{dt} = \left<\frac{dV}{dx}\right>. The solution involves using the equation \left<p\right> = -i\hbar \int \left(\Psi^* \frac{d\Psi}{dx}\right) dx and integrating by parts. There is also a mention of a famous equation for \frac{\partial \Psi}{\partial t} but its name is forgotten. The problem is eventually solved with the help of the conversation partner.
stunner5000pt

Homework Statement

Griffith's problem 1.12
Calculate [itex] d\left<p\right>/dt. [/itex]

Answer [tex] \frac{d\left<p\right>}{dt} = \left<\frac{dV}{dx}\right> [/tex]

2. The attempt at a solution

so we know that

[tex] \left<p\right> = -i\hbar \int \left(\Psi^* \frac{d\Psi}{dx}\right) dx [/tex]

so then

[tex] \frac{d\left<p\right>}{dt} = -i\hbar \int \left( \frac{\partial\Psi^*}{\partial t} \frac{\partial\Psi}{\partial x} + \Psi^* \frac{\partial^2 \Psi}{\partial t \partial x} \right) dx [/tex]

im not quite sure if one can simplify this further ... i mean we can't integrate wrt x because all the terms in the integrand have x dependance... don't they?? Should i intergate by parts to proceed??

I think a couple of extra terms would be required, no?

Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Now there is this famous equation for [tex]\frac{\partial \Psi}{\partial t}[/tex], what's it called again... :smile:

da_willem said:
Now there is this famous equation for [tex]\frac{\partial \Psi}{\partial t}[/tex], what's it called again... :smile:

shhhhhhhhh you

i got the required answer anyway

thansk for your help :-p

Related to Solve Griffith's Problem 1.12: Ehrenfest's Theorem

What is Griffith's Problem 1.12?

Griffith's Problem 1.12 is a mathematical problem proposed by physicist David J. Griffiths in his textbook "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics." It involves applying Ehrenfest's theorem to a quantum mechanical system.

What is Ehrenfest's theorem?

Ehrenfest's theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates the time evolution of quantum mechanical operators to their corresponding classical observables. It states that the rate of change of the expectation value of an operator is equal to the expectation value of the corresponding classical observable.

What is the purpose of solving Griffith's Problem 1.12?

The purpose of solving Griffith's Problem 1.12 is to understand the connection between classical mechanics and quantum mechanics. It allows us to see how classical mechanics emerges from the quantum mechanical description of a system.

What are the steps to solve Griffith's Problem 1.12?

The steps to solve Griffith's Problem 1.12 are as follows:

1. Identify the quantum mechanical operators and their corresponding classical observables.
  2. Use Ehrenfest's theorem to find the time evolution of the operators.
  3. Compare the results to the classical equations of motion.
  4. Verify that the two equations are equivalent.

What are some real-world applications of solving Griffith's Problem 1.12?

Solving Griffith's Problem 1.12 has practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and quantum information theory. It also helps us understand the behavior of atoms and molecules, which has important implications in chemistry and materials science.