Solve Gas Expansion Problem: CO2 Tank, Expansion Chamber & Ambient Heat

In summary, the conversation is about a project involving a CO2 tank and its expansion into a chamber. The person is trying to figure out the temperature decrease in the tank after the expansion and how to calculate the amount of time needed for the ambient heat to reheat the system or determine the new pressure. They mention needing to find the enthalpy of CO2 at the original temperature and pressure in order to do the necessary calculations.
mblackwolf
Here is my problem i am working on a project in my free time and am stuck on figuring something out. I am going to be using a CO2 tank which is filled (contains both liquid and gas). I will then open a valve to fill an expansion chamber. This will allow for expansion of the liquid into gas and will help the liquid from getting pulled into the final location. Another valve will then pull this gaseous CO2 into a new chamber.

In the original expansion from teh tank into the expansion chamber the liquid CO2 boiling off will cause a reduction in the temperature. The ambient heat can then heat the chamber and tank combination to lead to the same pressure approx. 800psi at which no more liquid will turn to gas. My question is how do i go about finding the temperature decrease in the tank after the expansion and before ambient heat reheats the system. I need this info to calculate the amount of time ambient heat will take to reheat the system or to determine the new non reheated pressure. Thanks i will know the tank volume, liquid volume and expansion chamber volume. I just need to know how to use these to determine the temperature drop.

Physics news on Phys.org
The first thing you need is some table of Thermodynamic Data for CO2. You will need the enthalpy of both liquid and gaseous CO2 at the temperature and pressure you intend to work. If you were able to find this data, the rest (calculations) is easy.

If i could find the enthalpy of CO2 at the tanks original temperature and pressure how would i go about finding the new temperature and pressure after the expansion

Related to Solve Gas Expansion Problem: CO2 Tank, Expansion Chamber & Ambient Heat

1. What is the purpose of solving the gas expansion problem with a CO2 tank, expansion chamber, and ambient heat?

The purpose of this problem is to understand how gases behave under different temperature and pressure conditions, and how they expand and contract. This knowledge is essential in many scientific and engineering fields, including thermodynamics, chemistry, and fluid mechanics.

2. How does an expansion chamber work in solving the gas expansion problem?

An expansion chamber is a container that allows gases to expand freely without any external constraints. It helps to isolate the gas and prevent any external factors from affecting its behavior, making it easier to study and analyze.

3. Why is CO2 often used in gas expansion problems?

CO2 is a commonly used gas in gas expansion problems because it is readily available, easy to handle, and has a well-known behavior under different temperature and pressure conditions. It also has a wide range of applications in industries such as food and beverage, chemical, and medical.

4. How does ambient heat affect gas expansion in this problem?

Ambient heat refers to the temperature of the surrounding environment. In this problem, it affects the temperature of the gas, which in turn affects its pressure and volume. As the ambient heat increases, the gas molecules will gain more energy and move faster, causing the gas to expand.

5. What are some real-life applications of solving gas expansion problems?

Gas expansion problems have many practical applications, such as designing and optimizing engines and turbines, predicting weather patterns, and understanding the behavior of gases in various industrial processes. They are also crucial in fields like meteorology, climate science, and space exploration.